18 Camry 2.5 (A25A-FKS) Small Oil Leak

C/P is 15 hours, warranty time is about 10.2. Retail for the job (at a higher rate and more hours) would be closer to $3K.

Agreed.
Wow, fifteen hour job? Does the engine have to come out?

Now, if that were my car and I didn’t have the extended warranty...the size of the leak I could live with. Probably for the life of the vehicle. During an oil change interval that thing probably only loses a 1/4 of a quart (if that), but if it got worse?? Yikes that would be a huge repair.

I love Toyota though, most reliable well built cars I see. Almost never have to do anything to them outside of maintenance (and I know they do break, but I just rarely see it).

Car Care Nut on YT recommends staying with a 0w16 oil but shorten the oci to 6 mos./5k miles. Otherwise, they tend to burn oil after 80k miles.

Car Care Nut on YT recommends staying with a 0w16 oil but shorten the oci to 6 mos./5k miles. Otherwise, they tend to burn oil after 80k miles.
Interesting. Maybe I’ll do that. Thanks, I’ve got 5k coming up soon.

The pride They take in there work
There’s a lot more manual work at an Japanese or Korean plant in the US than a unionized Ford/GM/FCA factory - especially at the high-touch points where a customer will see or feel things.

that said, I’m hard-pressed to find the difference between a Camry made in Kentucky or Japan.

That’s disconcerting. Will have to keep an eye out on mine (no extended warranty). Would be a shame, my 2AR-FE is still tight as can be (my 5S-FE is, erm, not). Fear of oil leaks was one reason I sent my Tundra on down the line.

I still think I’m going to bump up to 0W20 once out of warranty.
This^^^^^^. The oil vis being used is too thin for the seal or it's getting too thin during the run. Thicker starting vis and/or shorter oci as the the vis thins. .02

Doah! due to stuff going on we missed our 5k OCI, might have to live with a 10k OCI this time. Oops.

If this car had been dealer serviced, they would not have been allowed to mention this issue to the owner.

Are you sure? My 2018 Tundra had a small oil leak from the oil sender that was noticed during the first oil change. They notified me, provided a rental car, and replaced under warranty.

Probably dumb, but I go for the Japanese cars built in Japan and the Korean cars built in Korea.
The pride They take in there work

The RTV was likely applied by Robotics, Engines aren't usually assembled in the same plant as the vehicle anyway.

If you guys want to compare Body Panel fit/gaps/finish & Interior fit/finish between US & Japan made, You might have a valid point.

The RTV was likely applied by Robotics, Engines aren't usually assembled in the same plant as the vehicle anyway.

If you guys want to compare Body Panel fit/gaps/finish & Interior fit/finish between US & Japan made, You might have a valid point.
The parents recently bought a CPO Lexus. Made in Canada at Toyota Canada Manufacturing outside of Toronto. It feels as well made as the models made by Toyota Kyushu in Japan. The engine was more than likely made by Toyota Kentucky or West Virginia.

Some say the Canadian interiors smell a little sour compared to the Japanese ones - probably difffetnt suppliers(Tokai Rika vs. Adient, the former interiors arm of Johnson Controls).

Almost all 4 cylinder Toyota engines tends to consume oil if we do 10k miles interval. It takes about 80-100k miles when it shows up. I have 1.8L 2ZR-FXE, 2gr-fe V6 and 2.5L 25A- FKS and do 5-6k miles interval. They both do not consume oil at all even over 200k miles. But the 1.5L on gen2 Prius still consume oil at about 0.5q per 5k miles after 230k miles.

Back