17's vs 19's

LDB

I'm trading cars tomorrow going from a fairly basic Escape SE to a loaded Escape SE. Both are 2022 models. Of the many desired options like Nav, heated seats/wheel etc. etc. it also has an appearance pkg with 225/55-19's. My current SE has 225/65-17's. I suspect the 17's give better mpg and a better ride. I don't know. Curious about any opinions or personal experiences pertaining to 17 vs 19 tire size. Thanks.

I'm trading cars tomorrow going from a fairly basic Escape SE to a loaded Escape SE. Both are 2022 models. Of the many desired options like Nav, heated seats/wheel etc. etc. it also has an appearance pkg with 225/55-19's. My current SE has 225/65-17's. I suspect the 17's give better mpg and a better ride. I don't know. Curious about any opinions or personal experiences pertaining to 17 vs 19 tire size. Thanks.
The 17's have a taller sidewall so more flex for technically a smoother ride but I assume the suspension has been changed with 19's so you won't notice much. Also assume the engine rpm at 60 is about the same for both so the mpg will be too.

You still have plenty of sidewall with the 225/55 tire, so ride quality shouldn't be too bad. I've got that size on one of my vehicles and it's still a comfortable ride, unless your roads are in really terrible shape.

I always like the look and feel of larger wheels and tires. More responsive, and generally more pleasant. However, there are obvious downsides, including tire price, more rim damage, and lower MPG. I would not say that the taller tires on a smaller diameter rim provide a better ride. In my experience I almost always prefer driving on larger rims with lower profile tires.

I have a 2011 F150 that has the 17 inch rims and a 2009 with the 20 inch rims. Both have Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires. The 20 inch version is worlds better. Night and day. One drives like a professional vehicle and is amazingly pleasant, the other like a truck with big squishy sidewall tires.

Yes, the combined wheel/tire weight of 17 vs 19 is why I thought better mpg with 17's and the added sidewall of the 17's while not hugely different like going from a 45 to a 70 or something would help ride a bit.

The weight of the 19's is likely a couple pounds, so might cost some but likely not a lot - depends on city/hwy amounts and rolling resistance of the tread more than a couple pounds of unsprung weight, but everything adds up.

With the low sidewall 19's you will feel the potholes a little more likely, but it will also seem more responsive to steering input.

Sort of depends on your preference. As mentioned I would presume the suspension is a little bit different - different shock valving I would imagine?

Our Toyota came with 235/55/19's and I hate them, but I am old and spent my life driving trucks.

Yes, the combined wheel/tire weight of 17 vs 19 is why I thought better mpg with 17's and the added sidewall of the 17's while not hugely different like going from a 45 to a 70 or something would help ride a bit.
I went out of my way to factory order a different vehicle with 18 inch wheels vs 20 inch wheels and am glad that I did so.

I suppose we all make the choices that are best for us.

The weight of the 19's is likely a couple pounds, so might cost some but likely not a lot - depends on city/hwy amounts and rolling resistance of the tread more than a couple pounds of unsprung weight, but everything adds up.

With the low sidewall 19's you will feel the potholes a little more likely, but it will also seem more responsive to steering input.

Sort of depends on your preference. As mentioned I would presume the suspension is a little bit different - different shock valving I would imagine?

Our Toyota came with 235/55/19's and I hate them, but I am old and spent my life driving trucks.
I'm old(ish) myself, 66, and drove trucks for several years. I agree with your observations. My hero has always been the tortoise not the hare so the nicer ride of the 17's appeals. I don't know that I'd ever wear out these tires but if/when I need new ones I'm tempted to go with 205/70-17 as replacements for the 225/65-17 on there now.

I have a 2018 f150. It can be had with both 20” or 18” wheels. I’ve used both twice. The 18” is a better character match for the truck. 20s corner better and have less sway jostling, but the ride is harsh enough to be annoying. The 18s settle over bumps much quicker and the chassis is less busy with them. the only thing I lose is the firmer track during aggressive turns. Me personally I’d opt for the 17s. A 17 is by no means small. Our CRV rolls on 17s and I can throw it around quite effectively in that configuration.

Yeah, if it was 18's I'd just go with them and be done but I don't want to jump 2 sizes. And I think my wheels look better too. I'm going to get them to swap, provided everything else checks out, especially the numbers.

The CX5 has the same sizes depending on the trim. The 17s have a lot more tire choices as it's a very popular minivan tire size and the prices are WAAAAAAY CHEAPER, like $150+ difference. The 17s will also ride smoother but you do lose out on snappier steering that smaller sidewall tires inherently have and the looks. You should also notice slightly easier acceleration and braking since there's less rotational mass to deal with. 17s might match the body of the Escape a bit more than it does the CX5 as well.

Back