'17 Toyota Highlander V6 3.5L 2GR-FKS - SuperTech Advanced Full Synth 0W-20 10,007 miles

Well hello all!

As promised here's another 10k run (6 months) on Super Tech Advanced 0W-20 on my 2017 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD 3.5L (2GR-FKS) with 80,000+ miles. So far this vehicle has only ever seen 10k mile OCIs. As always I used an OEM oil filter. The engine air filter is also OEM and recently replaced 5,000 miles ago. For the next run I didn't replace with Super Tech oil and so my next UOA will be Havoline Lifelong Pro DS 0W-20. No reason for the switch other than a better deal on it right now. I really like that it comes as 6qt too as the oil capacity on the Highlander is 5.8qt. If you'd like to see the previous thread for the first UOA you may click here.

Q18466 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have been running 10K oil changes on my Toyotas and fords since 1996 and never had an issue getting over 200K miles plus and have never burned a drop of oil. Crazy how people waste their money and bad for the environment by changing oil early just to make themselves feel better

I have been running 10K oil changes on my Toyotas and fords since 1996 and never had an issue getting over 200K miles plus and have never burned a drop of oil. Crazy how people waste their money and bad for the environment by changing oil early just to make themselves feel better
Yea but there are MANY engines out there that can’t handle 10k OCIs due to their bad design (hard on oil) or the driving style / conditions are too SEVERE DUTY to allow 10k OCIs.

There are plenty of UOA reports posted that show the oil is toast well before 10k.

10k in 6 months means a lot of driving,either highway or in town extended engine run time,not short tripping like a lot of people do.So 10k works in some circumstances but not all.5k for short trippers would be my call.

I have this motor in my 19. I did 10K changes as according to toyota, and since I tow, I moved from the 100K 'other' oil changes to 60K, just did the diffs and the tranny- cuz I can..most of this is beyond the average joe.

that being said, at 60k now I have switched to 5k changes. its middle aged, I tow, its older. It costs mid 40s to replace and to rebuild the engine - which I can do - is also on the PITA side of things. so what is the overall cost of gong 2 6 oil changes vs 3, every 2 years?

Wow....lots of SiO2...why? I thought the paper filters were better than this. I never see numbers that high with my K&Ns.

Wear looks very good.
The Si is from the air filter change; it should come down as the filter loads up. (don't change it more often than absolutely necessary)
Why would that be necessary? It's a paper filter, should work well from the get-go unless the filter isn't sealing against the air box...those are what everyone thinks a K&N should return on a UOA but mine are always v. low. That's really high SiO2....could it be the oil....HPL has quite a bit more than any other oil I've used, maybe ST does too? Recent repair with sealer?

You so right. I knew a guy once that changed synthetic oil every 3000 miles out of his beloved hot rod. The oil in his drain pan look brand new!

Back