2012 Toyota Highlander, 2GR-FE 3.5L V6, 5W30 Valvoline Adv Full Synthetic, SuperTech Filter, 7580 miles

I've owned this 2012 Highlander since 2015 when I bought it with 24K miles on it. I've always changed the oil and filter between 7000-10,0000 miles. I'd always used 0W20 up until around 140K miles when I switched to 5W30 synthetic. I didn't have a *reason* to do so aside from the fact that my truck and my son's car both used 5W30 and I knew from my research that weightier oils were recommended in other countries. Being in a hot climate (Texas) I figured I was fine. I've also been using some SuperTech filters I got off the clearance shelf at Walmart for 75 cents each. They seem solid and look good coming out, so I didn't expect any issues as a result.

I'd never done an oil analysis on this vehicle, but I figured it would be a good thing to do. I've wondered if the 5W30 was going well and also wanted to make sure that nothing else was going on with my engine. It looks like the engine is doing well and I can see that going to 10K miles on an oil change shouldn't be an issue, which is good to know. These are mostly easy highway miles so I'm not surprised.

I thought this might be useful for people with the same vehicle or engine who are considering switching from 0W20 to 5W30 and have questions. I'm sure 0W20 would've been just as good, but at least I know that 5W30 isn't causing wear issues. I've also not noticed any change in fuel economy.

12 HIGHLANDER-220904_redacted.jpg

Last edited:
just to put a data point out there. any noticable change in gas mileage between 0w20 and 5w30?
No, none at all. At least nothing detectable. Could it be .1 MPG better? Possibly. I don't chart it. But the car's computer is reporting the same basic mpg it has always reported, which varies depending on more city/highway obviously. We usually get around 23 MPG in normal driving. On our road trip this past summer we got up to 27 MPG. If it hurts the gas mileage it is so insignificant as to be undetectable in normal use.

Last edited:
In other parts of the world, up to 20W-50. This is from the Australian owner's manual.

View attachment 117952
Exactly! That's why I figured standardizing on 5W30 was fine. :) And while oil analysis doesn't show everything, I'm confident that 5W30 synth is working as well or better than the 0W20 synth. To be clear, I have nothing against the thinner oil. I have no agenda. And if I bought a new car I'd use whatever was recommended. It is just that I change the oil on 3 vehicles and tend to stock up when something is on clearance or has a good rebate. It is just easier for me to standardize on a single weight oil that all vehicles can use.

Solid report. I moved from 0-20 to 5-30 in my F150 (Ford did back spec 5-30 for 5.0 engine around 2017 IIRC). I also moved my son's 2012 RAV4 4cyl to 5-30. It has been my aunt's car and she has used 5-20 per manual from new to 50k miles.

Wanted to add: Just me and my noodle but I would be very comfortable with the 7500 run and stick with it. It's nice not to have to worry about a new car purchase during these times.

Solid report. I moved from 0-20 to 5-30 in my F150 (Ford did back spec 5-30 for 5.0 engine around 2017 IIRC). I also moved my son's 2012 RAV4 4cyl to 5-30. It has been my aunt's car and she has used 5-20 per manual from new to 50k miles.

Wanted to add: Just me and my noodle but I would be very comfortable with the 7500 run and stick with it. It's nice not to have to worry about a new car purchase during these times.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll stick to around 7500 miles, but it is good to know it can be extended if I need to for some reason. I change it myself, so if the weather is terrible it is good to know I can wait a week or two.

7500 miles is what I've always done on my 2002 Tacoma, and I'm over 250K miles on it now. I used to do 12-15K miles per year on it, but I'm working from home 4 days a week these days, so this year I'll be changing it at 1 year/5K miles or so this time.

Ah, good ol' Advanced SN+ showing off again.
Yeah, it looks like a good oil and would absolutely use it again. I have no data for comparison because this is the first analysis I've done on the vehicles AND I use whatever I get on sale or with a rebate. I have M1 in it right now. I always use good synthetic, but I stock up when I can find it in the $10-15 per 5 quart jug range. If I get lucky and there's a manufacturer AND a retailer rebate I take advantage. :cool:

2GR-FE are very easy on oil if everything ok with an engine. They are “cold” engines, and take forever to warm up and are horrible in retaining temperature. But, in return they don’t tax oil. 10k on full synthetic is easy peasy. I did 5k if a lot of city driving as engine wouldn’t very often reach operating temperature.

I'm sure 0W20 would've been just as good, but at least I know that 5W30 isn't causing wear issues. I've also not noticed any change in fuel economy.

identical story with my 4runner's 1GR-FE. switched from 0W-20 factory fill to 5W-30, and now 0W-40 and there are no wear or economy issues, and that engine is also specced with similar optional heavy viscosities in other countries. both of my vehicles use 0W-40, so it simplifies my oil stock too.

looks like a solid report, i'd keep running the same oil/OCI schedule.

Looks great, thanks.
I'm doing the opposite. I've always (14 yrs) run 5w-30or40 in my 07 Toy 4.0L 1GR-FE. I've switched the current load to 5w-20 and next change with go to 0w-20. I'm getting better mpg w/thinner oil and no increased wear.

Last edited:
Back