'16 Toyota Corolla LE w/CVT (approx 1yr 10k miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Ownership review...

Dislikes:
From day one, i noticed that immediately ahead of the front tires, under the car, were two fins (air dams) that protrude downwards. Within a week these things would get hung up on the higher parking stops. Each was secured by two Phillips screws which I removed after week one. There is a faint creaking noise emitting from behind the dash that makes itself known on rough roads, not loud but enough to bother me and no one else in the car. The interior is dove gray and gets dirty rather easily. I have managed to keep it clean thus far. More importantly, initial take off is, well, tepid. The car just doesn't give anything from a stop (9 second 0-60). The trunk/boot compartment has hinges that infringe on full-size luggage placed underneath them. The engine note is fine until you push past 7/10ths, then it becomes harsh.

It is a handsome vehicle outside and i love the dash layout. Materials are of decent quality (soft touch upper dash and glovebox area). Fit and finish is excellent, as is the A/C unit. The controls are all logical and user-friendly (i don't have e-tune). Interior dash and cabin lighting isn't anything mind blowing but nice and clean blue. The LED low beams are wonderful. Steering feel is better than i expected but still feels artificial now that i'ts electric. Driving ergonomics are spot on (i'm 5'7" so driving position isn't an issue). Mid-range acceleration feels better than the 132 bhp and 128 ft/lbs would have you believe. Never sporty, but the CVT moves it along nicely. I've grown fond of this transmission much sooner than i thought i would even get used to it. When in "sport mode", the RPMs rise sharply and the pseudo gear changes are rapid and crisp enough to have non-enthusiasts believe this is a sporty ride. The seats are very comfortable and the rear seats are cavernous by compact standards. The trunk is a good size too. The ride is supple and never jarring. It is composed and "easy" to drive and live with on a day-to-day basis. I have owned vehicles that i didn't enjoy driving and the Corolla isn't one of those. It's small enough and maneuverable enough to enjoy an occasional spirited drive. I see why Toyota sells so many of these.

This car does nothing great except be reliable (hopefully), but does everything well. Even the MPGs are not at the top of the current heap (the 2ZR-FE is long in the tooth) but i get 28 mpg and drive in heavy city traffic 90% of the time.

I would buy it again.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good review and I still remember the incredible deal you got on it!

You're right! Price should have been number one on the "likes" list.

Good low cost reliable car that Toyota did a very good job on the redesign.

I had a rental 2016 Corolla last month and it was nice, the only thing I don't like on the lower end Toyotas are the plastic wheel covers.

great cars...

but ive got to be honest...the CVT would be a deal breaker for me. I killed 2 subaru cvt being pushed by fb25 four bangers in less than 100k. Ive seen countless others fail by many oems...i just don't trust the tech i guess and unlike a regular trans were a rebuild and RR is less than 2grand the cvt is north of 6!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Good low cost reliable car that Toyota did a very good job on the redesign.

I had a rental 2016 Corolla last month and it was nice, the only thing I don't like on the lower end Toyotas are the plastic wheel covers.

Yeah, i have those in 16 inches.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
great cars...

but ive got to be honest...the CVT would be a deal breaker for me. I killed 2 subaru cvt being pushed by fb25 four bangers in less than 100k. Ive seen countless others fail by many oems...i just don't trust the tech i guess and unlike a regular trans were a rebuild and RR is less than 2grand the cvt is north of 6!

Completely understood. It isn't to everyone's liking.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
...I killed 2 subaru cvt being pushed by fb25 four bangers in less than 100k.

What year and model Subarus were these? Complete CVT failure? That's the first I've heard of one go on a Subaru and I've been following these since 2011.

OP, sorry to derail! Good write-up on the Corolla. I've always been a fan of them.

I think its good that early adopters are out there road testing those CVT's. Keep up the good work. Call me when you're done.

The current Corolla is a step ahead in many ways than the previous generation. It still looks too much like an economy car for my liking, although looks are subjective. Glad you are having a pleasant experience with yours.

We have the same model, but a 2015. Has about 15K miles on it now.

Originally Posted By: wemay
under the car, were two fins (air dams) that protrude downwards

We have those, too. We've been careful and they haven't broken, even during our snowbound winters.

They're there for aerodynamics -- to help the Corolla's EPA CAFE numbers -- and serve no other purpose.

The LED low beams are wonderful.

And are annoyingly-bright to oncoming traffic or in the rear-view mirror of a leading car. Way too bright.

I've grown fond of this transmission much sooner than i thought i would even get used to it.

Switching back and forth between the Corolla and our conventionally-geared '13 RAV4, it's obvious that the CVT is annoyingly-harsh on acceleration. Dealer says it's normal, but I still don't like it.

Other than the harshness, the transmission behaves acceptably.

i get 28 mpg and drive in heavy city traffic 90% of the time.

The last time I checked our Corolla's mileage, it was 30.89mpg.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4266195/1

I would buy it again.

We would, too. It's good value for the money.

thumbsup2.gif

There's no doubt that econoboxes are getting more sophisticated in terms of design (functional and aesthetic), materials, fit and finish, and ride....the Corolla continues to run with a stick option, and
THAT has it on my radar as the Kitacamry's replacement a few years down the road....a used Corolla over say, a used Mazda3/6 or Honda Civic/Accord only because I (stereotypically) imagine a Corolla driver being a lot easier on a clutch, much like a typical Camry-stick driver...

THAT SAID, the new clutch on the 97k mile Kitacamry was THE THIRD...the dealer installing an entire new system (incl. master/slave cylinders and accumulator) after a botched replacement of the factory clutch. So much for stereotyping!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back