16 Kia Optima ex 2.4 oil

Boyfriends oil change is due and I need to grab the oil while I'm at the store tonight. Last time I think I used a Fram orange filter and Super tech 0W 20. I know we're getting into the warmer months and he idles a lot and remote starts a lot even in the summer and was thinking I should probably up it to a 30 Weight. I think the Says 20 but I think you can use a 30 weight. Oil is very black even after changing and has like 45-50K on vehicle.

Last edited:
My wife's Optima specs anything from 5W30 up to 5W40, due to the turbo. I have so much PP10W30, that's what I've been running in the summer.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Read the owners manual. I believe they can use 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30.

Don't have it with me, he works all day

In the warm south in the summer I would definitely use a 5W-30 in that engine, and keep the changes short, 3-4K miles.

5W30 Super Tech full synthetic
FRAM Tough Guard TG9688 or FRAM Ultra XG9688
I wouldn't use the Orange Can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gabriel9766

Don't have it with me, he works all day

Kia/Hyundai owners manuals can be found on the manufacturer's website. Here is the manual for your Optima. Page 9-8. As mentioned above, the recommended viscosities are 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30. I'd say your plan for a -30 sounds pretty solid.

These cars need the oil changed under 4,000 miles so synthetic isn't a necessity (at least not in summer), but with the low prices of some synthetics it can't hurt. 10w30 is fine in the summer as well in these cars. I happened to have some extra Yellow Bottle 10w30 that does the job great in the summer. Don't overthink it. As long as you get fresh oil in it under 4000 miles and keep it topped off in between you are doing the best you can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Whammo
These cars need the oil changed under 4,000 miles so synthetic isn't a necessity (at least not in summer), but with the low prices of some synthetics it can't hurt. 10w30 is fine in the summer as well in these cars. I happened to have some extra Yellow Bottle 10w30 that does the job great in the summer. Don't overthink it. As long as you get fresh oil in it under 4000 miles and keep it topped off in between you are doing the best you can.

4000 miles? Can you post the source on that?

My wife's 2.0L Turbo specs 5K changes, so wondering why a N/A 2.4L needs under 4.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Originally Posted by Whammo

4000 miles? Can you post the source on that?

My wife's 2.0L Turbo specs 5K changes, so wondering why a N/A 2.4L needs under 4.

It's in the owners manual for the 2.4L, and is pretty standard across all Hyundai/Kia vehicles. Severe service- 3,750 mile OCIs, Regular service- 7,500. Most people technically fall under the severe service, though the onus would fall on Hyundai/Kia to prove that to be the case in the event that you adhered to 7,500 mile OCIs and needed warranty work. All Kia manuals can be found at owners.kia.com.

I have so much PP10W30, that's what I've been running in the summer.

In a warm climate over summer, I would also run a synthetic 10W30. Good shear stability and low Noack volatility.

Otherwise any Dexos1-Gen2 5W30 oil would be a good choice, including SuperTech.

Originally Posted by JustN89
It's in the owners manual for the 2.4L, and is pretty standard across all Hyundai/Kia vehicles. Severe service- 3,750 mile OCIs, Regular service- 7,500. Most people technically fall under the severe service, though the onus would fall on Hyundai/Kia to prove that to be the case in the event that you adhered to 7,500 mile OCIs and needed warranty work. All Kia manuals can be found at owners.kia.com.

• More than 50% driving in heavy
city traffic during hot weather
above 90°F (32°C).

A snip from the manual. You stated these cars need their oil changed under 4K. With respect, there's no way most people fall under the guidelines Kia lists for severe service. My wife has the same commute as her last car (GM) and the OLM had us change the oil at 7+/-K miles on conventional oil. She drives the worst commute in the country. I would have to change her oil every 6 weeks! I adhere to regular service intervals and so far, so good. She works for a large healthcare network in the Boston area, so she's has been working nuts for months. I plan on sampling her next oil change, so we'll see what these cars really need for an interval. Maybe you're right! If so, I'll need adjustments. If not, let's motor on!

*This is correct , a 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic oil would be just fine spring , summer and fall ... For Missouri winters I would keep it at 5W30 or 5W20 synthetic oils .

above 90°F (32°C).

A snip from the manual. You stated these cars need their oil changed under 4K. With respect, there's no way most people fall under the guidelines Kia lists for severe service. My wife has the same commute as her last car (GM) and the OLM had us change the oil at 7+/-K miles on conventional oil. She drives the worst commute in the country. I would have to change her oil every 6 weeks! I adhere to regular service intervals and so far, so good. She works for a large healthcare network in the Boston area, so she's has been working nuts for months. I plan on sampling her next oil change, so we'll see what these cars really need for an interval. Maybe you're right! If so, I'll need adjustments. If not, let's motor on!

I've never thought of it as a two position switch. More like a dial. My dial is comfortable at 5K.

*If you do not want to change your oil so often - then you should have bought another vehicle other than one with a Hyundai / Kia 2.4L GDI engine in it ... These engines destroy and soot up oil like they invented the term !
From experience (per UOA) with the same engine in even LESS severe mixed driving conditions - use any 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oil (Valvoline Advanced , QSUD , PP , M1 or Castrol in this order) in a Hyundai / Kia 2.4L GDI engine and change out the oil every 4K to 5K miles max if you plan on keeping the vehicle .

above 90°F (32°C).

Nope, that wasn't me. Go back and re-read your quoted posts. I just posted the instructions from the manual with my opinion that most people will fall under severe service, though I also noted that the onus falls on Hyun/Kia for proving that. Personally, I follow 5k mile OCIs in my Hyundai.

Back