'16 Buick LaCrosse: probably my next car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all.

Since the totaling of the '15 BMW, I've been looking for a car I like and can live with (both the car and the payment). A local Subaru dealer has a '16 LaCrosse Premium, ruby red/cream, 304hp V-6, 34K miles with 15K left on the factory warranty, just about all the whistles you could want, and no sunroof. They're asking $20,997. I'm on an extended test drive now. This afternoon I'll take it to my regular mechanic for a quick peace-of-mind inspection. If he finds nothing seriously wrong, I do believe I'll buy it.

It drives smoothly and effortlessly -- well, I do have to give the pedal a little more pressure than I did the BMW to get it to really move -- on 18" wheels but higher-profile tires. A/C, including the cooled seats, is excellent. The FWD handling, of course, is quite different from that of the Bavarian Monster Wagon, especially in turns. To counter that, it runs on regular and is supposed to yield 28 mpg on the highway. I can probably use the Castrol 0W-40 (?) that I bought for the BMW's 30K mile oil change -- or does GM insist on 5W-30?

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I can probably use the Castrol 0W-40 (?) that I bought for the BMW's 30K mile oil change -- or does GM insist on 5W-30?
My guess is GM requires the use of Dexos1-approved oil to maintain warranty. Castrol 0W-40 is not Dexos1 approved.

I've read somewhere that GM now allows the use of Dexos2 oils in their gasoline engines that previously required Dexos1g2, but I haven't seen that in writing from GM directly.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I can probably use the Castrol 0W-40 (?) that I bought for the BMW's 30K mile oil change -- or does GM insist on 5W-30?
My guess is GM requires the use of Dexos-approved oil to maintain warranty. Castrol 0W-40 is not Dexos approved.

Looks like Buick has 4 yr/ 50k warranty so he has some left. Interesting. Use the Castrol sometime in the future or gift it.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
My guess is GM requires the use of Dexos-approved oil to maintain warranty. Castrol 0W-40 is not Dexos approved.

Looks like Buick has 4 yr/ 50k warranty so he has some left. Interesting. Use the Castrol sometime in the future or gift it.

I might be able to take the oil back to Walmart; I think I have the receipt in the bag. The filters I bought can go back to FCPEuro. I'd forgotten about Dexos oils and GM requirements.

Take it to an auto body shop for a quick look as well. I was once sold a "new" car with a repainted panel - couldn't see it until an autobody man pointed out the tiny imperfections.

You might still buy it but the negotiations would be a little different.

If it is the 3,6 Like many newer direct injected cars, these are noted for timing chain wear, this one is much improved but still occurs.

I do not know if mechanic can check condition with his scanner until it sets a code. ask

you must use a dexos oil, and frequent oil changes of 5K or so unless the OLM goes off sooner.

Change is easy, canister oil filter very easy to access. Only need to go under to get to the oil drain. Minimum mess..

Some had 3.9 pushrod V6, they are lower power but reliable. I think that ended by 16 though.

The rest of the car is excellent, and Buick's have always been extremely reliable.

The price is often pretty negotiable, Buick has horrible resale but great cars if you buy used.

If you are happy with the deal get it, you will like it.

Rod

We have a low miles 2006 Lacrosse 3.8l , purchased about 2 years ago . Love it !

Ours does not cal for DEXOS . Our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l does require DEXOS . So , I am pretty confident a 2016 model will , also .

I will bet you will love a 2016 Lacrosse .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by Trav
Bit of a geezer wagon compared to the BMW isn't it? I couldn't make that kind of a move at any price.

OP has had a Buick for a number of years before getting the BMW, and he only had the BMW for a year (or less), so going back to Buick he'll probably feel right at home.

Honestly, if my 530i gave up the ghost tomorrow and I needed a new DD, I'd seriously look at Buick TourX - crazy good deals out there on these wagons. The AISIN trans is probably the only weak spot there that some people find less than optimal.

Bit of a geezer wagon compared to the BMW isn't it? I couldn't make that kind of a move at any price.

OP has had a Buick for a number of years before getting the BMW, and he only had the BMW for a year (or less), so going back to Buick he'll probably feel right at home.

Honestly, if my 530i gave up the ghost tomorrow and I needed a new DD, I'd seriously look at Buick TourX - crazy good deals out there on these wagons. The AISIN trans is probably the only weak spot there that some people find less than optimal.

My little fling with the BMW was apparently just that, a spring/summer romance. I bought it in March and the heavy rainstorm of July 10 sent it to the car hospital; and my insurance company totaled it last week. I loved the gadgets, the precise steering, and the effortless power, but replacing it with another 328i is proving to be a problem. I don't want to go over a certain price, and all the '16 and '17 328is, those young enough to have some warranty, seem to be out of that range. The 320i, its lower-priced cousin, is not powerful enough for me.

Hey, if I drive the "geezer wagon" the same way I did the BMW, and I will, I'll get the same amount of pleasure out of it. Not the same kind of driving pleasure, but the same amount.

(I used to say about my Park Avenue that the cruise control steered the car automatically toward all Piccadilly Cafeterias and bingo parlors. If that's the perception people have of the cars, so be it.)

I had a loaner one for three days. It was surprisingly sporty, seemed very similar to our 08 Acura TL. I didn't like the automatic start/stop and the size was a little bigger than needed, but it wasn't a Mom-mobile.

Originally Posted by TooManyWheels

I had a loaner one for three days. It was surprisingly sporty, seemed very similar to our 08 Acura TL. I didn't like the automatic start/stop and the size was a little bigger than needed, but it wasn't a Mom-mobile.

A TourX? I was very tempted by one of those in sapphire blue/light gray cloth not far from me, but then I read you can't turn off the auto stop-start. I really don't want that. If this '16 has it, it's so unobtrusive that I wouldn't mind, but even though it was very subtle on the BMW, I never used it.

Checked and there are have been 3 engines in the lacrosse, 1 mild hybrid 4, 3.9V6 and the 3.6. The 3.6 has the cam chain durability issues.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Checked and there are have been 3 engines in the lacrosse, 1 mild hybrid 4, 3.9V6 and the 3.6. The 3.6 has the cam chain durability issues.

Rod

Is there a TSB or a recall on the 3.6?

A TourX? I was very tempted by one of those in sapphire blue/light gray cloth not far from me, but then I read you can't turn off the auto stop-start.
Auto stop-start can be defeated on a GM vehicle with an aftermarket device - around $150, I believe.

I hate auto stop-start myself. I have yet to find a gasoline powered vehicle that executes it in a seamless fashion.

.... replacing it with another 328i is proving to be a problem. I don't want to go over a certain price, and all the '16 and '17 328is, those young enough to have some warranty, seem to be out of that range.

Shouldn't your insurance company be paying out enough so you could replace the 328i with "the same car". Low miles, nice condition, some warranty left, etc... As far as I know that's what insurance is supposed to do.

Years ago you could even say, "if you don't want to give me what I think it's worth, then replace the car - same year, low miles, nice condition, some warranty left....."

It has the 3.6 lfx which is the upgraded version of the LLT. I have the 2010 Lacrosse LLT and its always a guess when the chains (3) will stretch and have to be replaced. What im going to do, and I would recommend , is get a 2017 or newer Lacrosse. They are coming down in price to the lower to mid 20s and have the totally redesigned 3.6 LGX which has addressed the chains and the DI issues (they route the gasses into the oil instead of into the intake saving the back of the intake from getting gunked up). And the new Lacrosse drives like a dream, smooth, powerful, handles well, and gets 21 city 31 highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ecotourist
.... replacing it with another 328i is proving to be a problem. I don't want to go over a certain price, and all the '16 and '17 328is, those young enough to have some warranty, seem to be out of that range.

Shouldn't your insurance company be paying out enough so you could replace the 328i with "the same car". Low miles, nice condition, some warranty left, etc... As far as I know that's what insurance is supposed to do.

Years ago you could even say, "if you don't want to give me what I think it's worth, then replace the car - same year, low miles, nice condition, some warranty left....."

They would have paid out that much -- they went above the NADA.com figure for a car optioned like mine. But there was still my loan balance to pay off. It was not bad; I owed far less than the car was worth.

I think the 2015 328i cars are all out of warranty now, and the '16s, I'm sure, cost more to start with.

Saginawmale50, I have considered the 2017 LaCrosse; I love the styling inside and out. There is one an hour's drive from me with about the same price the lot is asking for the 2016. But there is the engine stop-start they force on you. It's nice to know there's an item you can buy to defeat it. If the '16 deal doesn't work out, I may try the '17.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

Rod

Is there a TSB or a recall on the 3.6?

There are TSB, and the OIL Life monitors were reprogrammed. But a defect, this is simply not a long life design. Timing belts wear out, this Chain is little better. That is substandard, but not a legal warranty item.

I do not think they were recalled, just updated at the dealer when you brought it in.

The 3.9 is a push rod engine, it does not have the issue.

Rod

Last edited:
Timing chains are not a problem with the LFX. You are thinking of the older LY7 engine.

Buy the LaCrosse. You will love it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back