'16 Big Turbo Golf R running Ethanol Blend

Sure would be nice to have that option here in the States! Never heard of the Falcon. Looks like a ripper
Yep, best engines Australia ever made and that combo in the XR6 Turbo is perfect. They are very heavy though. Ford Australia is closed now so these cars are pretty special to us. They made a lot of them so hopefully they will still be around for a long time. Lots of aftermarket parts now as well.

Reactions: MSH
edyvw & adams355, I assume this is the correct Mobil 5w50 that you are referring to and not the Euro formula 5w50?--> Full Synthetic FS X2 5w50? Seems to be more difficult to find but did find on Summit Racing and Jegs website (Jegs on sale right now)
Also, on that oil since I stuck with the stock DI vs moving to MPI on fueling I'm subject to the higher carbon build up on my car(although running the E30-E35 ethanol blend may help a touch in that regard). How is the M1 5w50 going to fare on carbon build up vs say the castrol 0w-40 I have been running? TIA!

edyvw & adams355, I assume this is the correct Mobil 5w50 that you are referring to and not the Euro formula 5w50?--> Full Synthetic FS X2 5w50? Seems to be more difficult to find but did find on Summit Racing and Jegs website (Jegs on sale right now)
Also, on that oil since I stuck with the stock DI vs moving to MPI on fueling I'm subject to the higher carbon build up on my car(although running the E30-E35 ethanol blend may help a touch in that regard). How is the M1 5w50 going to fare on carbon build up vs say the castrol 0w-40 I have been running? TIA!
Hmm, I'm not sure on that one, don't have much DI experience. I do know the Castrol Edge 5w50 is API SP and a few others like Amsoil but I'm sure someone will come along who knows. But wait out till then.

Good question. Unfortunately, it will not be as good as Castrol 0W40. Reason is that 5W50 has Sulfated Ash at 1.34%. It is really high, same as M1 0W40 FS. But, when it comes to your vehicle, who knows. There are so much stuff you changed it might not be as much of an issue as in regular engine. I personally would not go with Castrol Edge 5W50 compared to M1 5W50 as Castrol does not have all those approvals, particularly Porsche A40.

Good question. Unfortunately, it will not be as good as Castrol 0W40. Reason is that 5W50 has Sulfated Ash at 1.34%. It is really high, same as M1 0W40 FS. But, when it comes to your vehicle, who knows. There are so much stuff you changed it might not be as much of an issue as in regular engine. I personally would not go with Castrol Edge 5W50 compared to M1 5W50 as Castrol does not have all those approvals, particularly Porsche A40.
Great info. Thanks so much! Any chance Motul Sport 5w-50 is any better in that regard? I was leaning to M1 mainly because of better price point, but if SA % is much lower vs the M1 I may just go with that instead

Great info. Thanks so much! Any chance Motul Sport 5w-50 is any better in that regard? I was leaning to M1 mainly because of better price point, but if SA % is much lower vs the M1 I may just go with that instead
Motul does not state Sulfated Ash %, but TBN is well down compared to Mobil1, so probably it has lower sulfated ash level. From what is states on the PDS, looks more like Mid-SAPS oil.

Motul does not state Sulfated Ash %, but TBN is well down compared to Mobil1, so probably it has lower sulfated ash level. From what is states on the PDS, looks more like Mid-SAPS oil.

Don't you like the API SP oils?, Haven't they got more detergents for preventing LSPI? I'm just asking I'm not up on LSPI and would like to know. The SP is also more suitable for e85 apparently. Cheers

Last edited:
Don't you like the API SP oils?, Haven't they got more detergents for preventing LSPI? I'm just asking I'm not up on LSPI and would like to know. The SP is also more suitable for e85 apparently. Cheers
Yeah, but really API is nothing special. It is not as stringent as any European certification.
LSPI is a problem in very small turbo engines. VW had big issues with that in first generation 1.4 engine that had both compressor and turbo. After that they worked on engineering solution not oil solution to LSPI. So, SP or SN< to me it is irrelevant. Porsche A40? That is different ball game. MB229.3 is also stringent and only reason why M1 5W50 is not MB 229.5 is fuel efficiency requirements of MB229.5 cannot be met with W50 oils.
Motul does not have Euro approvals in Sport line up as oil is dedicated track oil, unlike M1 5W50. Motul does have very stout 5W40 street line up X-Cess and X-Clean with really, really good HTHS and pretty much all possible approvals.

Yeah, but really API is nothing special. It is not as stringent as any European certification.
LSPI is a problem in very small turbo engines. VW had big issues with that in first generation 1.4 engine that had both compressor and turbo. After that they worked on engineering solution not oil solution to LSPI. So, SP or SN< to me it is irrelevant. Porsche A40? That is different ball game. MB229.3 is also stringent and only reason why M1 5W50 is not MB 229.5 is fuel efficiency requirements of MB229.5 cannot be met with W50 oils.
Motul does not have Euro approvals in Sport line up as oil is dedicated track oil, unlike M1 5W50. Motul does have very stout 5W40 street line up X-Cess and X-Clean with really, really good HTHS and pretty much all possible approvals.

Good stuff. With Motul Sport even though it's dedicated track oil I assume ok to still run the 5w-50 flavor for street/track with change every 4k-5k (which is pretty much my annual mileage on this car)?
My other thought is just to do the X-cess gen 2 for street and then flip to M1 15w50 for track days (probably no more than 4 events this yr).
I suppose in long run option 1 w/ Motul Sport 5w-50 is probably better from cost standpoint as it will be roughly just one oil change a year w/ the 4k-5k annual (including track) this car sees.

Good stuff. With Motul Sport even though it's dedicated track oil I assume ok to still run the 5w-50 flavor for street/track with change every 4k-5k (which is pretty much my annual mileage on this car)?
My other thought is just to do the X-cess gen 2 for street and then flip to M1 15w50 for track days (probably no more than 4 events this yr).
I suppose in long run option 1 w/ Motul Sport 5w-50 is probably better from cost standpoint as it will be roughly just one oil change a year w/ the 4k-5k annual (including track) this car sees.
You need the 50 at any time if you running ethanol it just guarantees less wear. Then on top of that when you track it you are well protected as well. I do know that a lot of people here in Australia switch to the Motul for e85. You will only gain from the 50 when running ethanol. Thanks @edyvw for the info. So can we race now haha

Last edited:
I was just having a read and ask around for you guys it seems the Motul 5w50 is great for ethanol but you would be looking at 3000km changes to be safe. So, The Mobil is looking the best option for 5000-7000km changes so just under 5k miles for you lot with ethanol and track use. @edyvw knows his oils well. Also a good oil doesn't have to be changed after every track meet, I know some of the semi pro racers are using the oil I use up to 3x300 laps of a standard circuit and these are pretty close to full race cars.

I was just having a read and ask around for you guys it seems the Motul 5w50 is great for ethanol but you would be looking at 3000km changes to be safe. So, The Mobil is looking the best option for 5000-7000km changes so just under 5k miles for you lot with ethanol and track use. @edyvw knows his oils well. Also a good oil doesn't have to be changed after every track meet, I know some of the semi pro racers are using the oil I use up to 3x300 laps of a standard circuit and these are pretty close to full race cars.
You can run Motul Sport 5W50 5k. I would though do UOA at 3k. Reason is that Motul, regardless that API is not that stringent, is still SN. That means it is street OK oil and that oxidation is in check.
Take into consideration, that even Motul 300V in recent UOA did not oxidize too much after 5k run in Corvette, but that is not ethanol etc.
My take:
Get Motul Sport 5W50, run 3,000 miles, do UOA but you must do TAN and TBN test to see where oxidation is and how much life is left.
Hope to see you at HPR sometimes in the spring/summer.

You can run Motul Sport 5W50 5k. I would though do UOA at 3k. Reason is that Motul, regardless that API is not that stringent, is still SN. That means it is street OK oil and that oxidation is in check.
Take into consideration, that even Motul 300V in recent UOA did not oxidize too much after 5k run in Corvette, but that is not ethanol etc.
My take:
Get Motul Sport 5W50, run 3,000 miles, do UOA but you must do TAN and TBN test to see where oxidation is and how much life is left.
Hope to see you at HPR sometimes in the spring/summer.

Thanks to you both. Much appreciated. I'll move forward with the Motul Sport 5w50. I literally just did a change 2 weeks ago (Castrol 0w40..both drain & fill). Waiting for the Blackstone report. A little less than 3k miles/7 months on that oil. 2k of that with the new turbo, but ran an even higher ethanol (E40) blend on the stock turbo. I should have posted this thread a month ago instead of waiting until after my oil change! Anyway, I'll post up the Blackstone reports as I get them.
Sounds good on HPR edyvw. You hitting the open lap days or running with some of the other groups? Weapon of choice?

Thanks to you both. Much appreciated. I'll move forward with the Motul Sport 5w50. I literally just did a change 2 weeks ago (Castrol 0w40..both drain & fill). Waiting for the Blackstone report. A little less than 3k miles/7 months on that oil. 2k of that with the new turbo, but ran an even higher ethanol (E40) blend on the stock turbo. I should have posted this thread a month ago instead of waiting until after my oil change! Anyway, I'll post up the Blackstone reports as I get them.
Sounds good on HPR edyvw. You hitting the open lap days or running with some of the other groups? Weapon of choice?
By all means post Castrol 0W40 UOA. That will give you some starting point.
I just do open lap days, but I am not going there until snow in mountains get slushy. Until then, skiing.
I go Friday's, drop kids in daycare and go there. BMW to blow off some steam, not setting any records, though I almost passed one guy in Panamera through curves, last time I was there. He definitely lost his way there.

Blackstone sample.jpg

First UOA from Blackstone on Castrol 0W40. Any thoughts on that Iron level being a bit high? Would the new turbo being added at 35500 miles been a contributing factor? Oil sample was pulled at ~37500 miles.

View attachment 42486

First UOA from Blackstone on Castrol 0W40. Any thoughts on that Iron level being a bit high? Would the new turbo being added at 35500 miles been a contributing factor? Oil sample was pulled at ~37500 miles.
Yes, that iron spike has to be the new turbo or you have some issues at 35K miles...mine are single digit. I have data from 2 turbo upgrades showing a spike in the iron but not that much!

Capture2.JPG

Yes, that iron spike has to be the new turbo or you have some issues at 35K miles...mine are single digit. I have data from 2 turbo upgrades showing a spike in the iron but not that much!
Yeah I'm a bit concerned. Man, your data is good stuff man!

Yeah I'm a bit concerned. Man, your data is good stuff man!
Thanks! Just something to watch over the next few changes to see if it simmers down. My graph is a bit off my apologies, the last data point showing it drop isn't real yet, just was playing with the numbers and forgot to delete it...for all I know it may go up again next time but I doubt it.

Back