16,000 mile oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings brothers
Just came in from cutting an oil filter apart. It was on my truck for 16,284 miles during a ten month period of time. During this time I never added a drop of oil, (running 20W50 supertech brand). Nor did I change the oil, (I know I should hang my head in shame, but I was really, really busy during that period of time.)
The filter was dirty, (you knew that didn't you). But it was not torn, nor clogged in any way. It is one of the older style filters with the metal core, (looks like a soup can with holes drilled in it). The rubber gasket inside the filter was still bendable and where the paper element connects to both the top and bottom of the holder there were no holes, breaks or tears. As a matter of fact, as I took it apart, (I was looking for chunks of sludge, gunk and carbon build up), it was difficult to remove it from the holder.
The filter is an STP S-01218 and came off a 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, 305 V-8.

Nor did I change the oil, (I know I should hang my head in shame, but I was really, really busy during that period of time.)
=================================================

Takes me 5 minutes to retrieve...
oil & filter
car jack
plug & filter wrench
oil bucket

Takes me 5 minutes to drain
5 minutes to remove/replace filter
5 minutes to refill

Takes me another 5 minutes to put everything away.

You didn't have 25 minutes to spare in the last 10 months?
Well if you didn't have 25 minutes to spare, then you probably didn't have time to watch a 30-minute TV sitcom in the last 10 months either..... yep... you've been pretty busy!

Really thou... you've had plenty of time!
You see... you have posted over 20 times on this website since March 22nd.

[ April 02, 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

yep, I was that busy. Slept four hours a night. Ate when I was driving, (I went from 202lbs to 174 - that was the good thing). Saw my wife and kids when they were asleep. Bathed every once in a while, (Do you know what it's like to wear the same socks and underwear for two weeks - nasty). Needless to say, it was a **** of a year.

oh, and by the way, this was a filter I saved from December of 2004 when I changed the oil. I wanted to cut it open and see what it looked like inside. Yes, I have time now - and I'm loving it
smile.gif

You need to buy a gallon of Lube Control and a McCoy(sp) Oiler! I would set it up to drip 1/2 quart of LC every 10 months! This should get you buy just fine!
lol.gif

I got 15,000 on a M1 oil filter in VW/Audi 2.0 using GC 0w-30 and LC and will post that analysis when the results are in.

If a oil filter doesn't load up with debris they can last quite a long time if well constructed.

Sound like this champs labs version did, or stuck in bypass for most of the interval and didn't see lots of oil anyway.
confused.gif

Was there lots of oil internally or did it seem a bit low on oil ?

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
I got 15,000 on a M1 oil filter in VW/Audi 2.0 using GC 0w-30 and LC and will post that analysis when the results are in...

offtopic.gif

Terry,
How are you liking the GC/M1 filter combo? Does your 2.0 use the M1-205?
I'm running the same GC/M1 filter combo on my VW 1.8T as we speak.
smile.gif

One more
offtopic.gif
question for you, what's the maximum OCI that you would feel comfortable with for my 1.8T, assuming the oil is '03 vintage GC & M1 filter?

GreeCguy ..might we inquire what you were doing during this 10 month frenzy?? I know when I worked two full time jobs for ONE YEAR (78 miles a day in commuting + 16.5 "on the clock" hours) it was sorta like that. The advantage that I had was that the one job had a locker room and showers ..so my hygiene was maintained (it was buffered into the 8.5 hours).

I'm glad what ever it was is over for you ..and I hope what ever it was ..was worth it.
smile.gif

Wavinwayne, use analysis to know for sure. 10K miles is normal for my more conservative drving customers with your engine if well maintained.

LC and FP help lots.

The combo on the VW 2.0 seems to be working fine but I won't know for sure until we get the data back. The oil consumption is less but I have not calculated how much less yet.

Yes M1 205.

Gary Allan - sure. I was working two jobs in two different states, moving, fixing up our old house so we could sell it and fixing up a new house, (new to us) so we could move in. There were days I really thought I was going to lose my mind - like the day I nailed shingles for 16 solid hours with no breaks because it was going to rain that night, (the Good Lord was with me on that one - it started raining within minutes of me being done). The good thing was I was able to move closer to my aging parents for the first time in over 20 years, move my family to a better place and a better house and make some money in the process. Bad thing was, when it was all said and done, I collasped, (literally) and ended up in the hospital for a week. Lost a gallbladder, (from crappy diet and weight loss - at least that's what the doctor said). And developed an ulcer.
Was it worth it? You bet
smile.gif
My family stood by me the whole time. That 16 hour day on the roof, my wife was with me nailing down shingles the whole day with me. Show me a woman who will do that!
wink.gif
Now things I took for granted before, like shooting hoops with my son, I truly treasure now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back