15 clicks til full 🙄

You know how many people I hear topping off their tank at the gas station. I'm watching a guy now filling a gas can all the way to the top of the filler neck. 😂 Is this an old wives tale? I thought on cars it messes up the Charcoal canister

Dumb, but there's no cure for stupid.
Personally when it comes to gas cans I just pull the nozzle out some and see where the level is. If you just shove it all the way down, it will click off way below the safe fill line. I never top off gas cans. You're going to lose a quart of gas before it even pours into whatever you're trying to fill.

Because it doesn’t activate the canister solenoid. It won’t get sucked into the canister upon start
One of my cars has a vent right at the fuel door near the filler hole. That vent plumbs into the canister among other places. Not sure on what conditions the valve is open or closed. It seems more than a zero chance that fuel could make it to the canister.

You know how many people I hear topping off their tank at the gas station. I'm watching a guy now filling a gas can all the way to the top of the filler neck. 😂 Is this an old wives tale? I thought on cars it messes up the Charcoal canister
Yep. Sure does. The charcoal canister is designed to handle vapor.

Liquid gasoline can damage it. Lots of liquid gasoline, every fill-up, will certainly damage it.

Bet the owner’s manual says not to do that…

Because it doesn’t activate the canister solenoid. It won’t get sucked into the canister upon start
But that gasoline will expand when it gets warm, and force its way into the canister.

Sure, it won’t get sucked into the intake right away, because the purge solenoid is closed, but liquid gasoline will end up in the canister and damage it.

Sounds like two different things are being described/observed.
  1. When filling the tank in vehicle, I stop when the nozzle clicks off. I will on occasion pull the trigger again if I suspect the nozzle shut off inadvertently (I guess this happens if the vapor return system on the pump is messed up.
  2. When filling a can, I compress the vapor collection bellow with my free hand so that the nozzle will dispense fuel, aim the nozzle into the can and dispense. I watch the pump display (gallons) and stop dispensing accordingly.

Sounds like two different things are being described/observed.
  1. When filling the tank in vehicle, I stop when the nozzle clicks off. I will on occasion pull the trigger again if I suspect the nozzle shut off inadvertently (I guess this happens if the vapor return system on the pump is messed up.
  2. When filling a can, I compress the vapor collection bellow with my free hand so that the nozzle will dispense fuel, aim the nozzle into the can and dispense. I watch the pump display (gallons) and stop dispensing accordingly.
I solve #1 by observing the fuel gauge when exiting the car. I'll know if the shut-off happens too early from knowing how much is left in the tank.

Not Good, I would always click when filling my Silverado, time came to change out the cannister and it was full of gas :eek:, never noticed any change in performance. :rolleyes:

Back