$1300 brake job on a Charger SRT8. = ???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performance brakes like Brembo, Baer etc. are not about stopping fast....(although these brake packages are usually paired with some very high-quality summer tires that contribute greatly to short stopping distances)....but for good heat disapation for continuous fade-free braking lap after lap or aggressive canyon road carving. That said, most of the factory "big brakes" still aren't up to track duty.

Any brake can lock the wheel or engage the ABS, but after a few laps at a race-pace as the heat builds up, it's fade city, cooked rotors and glazed pads (as the pedal goes to the floor and the car into the Armco)

At the end of the day don't buy a high performance car and complain about ownership costs. Of course its goings to cost a lot more to own than regular car.

yep that price is about right for pads and rotors, the front pads alone are about 360 a set from the dealer, the rear pads are cheaper but not by much and the rotors are not the same that comes lets say on a smartcar, and for how long they last well soft pads on a heavy car thats going to shorten the life span. you have to pay to play, if it were me i would get Hawk HPS pads and a set of DBA rotors and do it my self in about an hour and cut the cost in half but thats just my 2 cents, and remember Brambo pads and rotors are not in the same price range or performance class as your everyday brake set up.

Montrose

i just wanted to add you can get Hawks HPS pads with mopar oem rotors from speedlogix all 4 wheels for $702.00 and do it your self.

Last edited:
Sorry, but if you're buddy has enough for an SRT-8, he's got enough for a brake job.

If you can't pay, don't play.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Someone with an SRT.... Is there anything special about this system? Are there any special tools needed to replace the pads and rotors?

They are 4 piston fixed calipers. That's the only expensive part. They are indeed track ready with factory pads, one of the most surprising vehicles you'll ever run into on road course days!

Stoptech makes the best pads, with everyone else offering them in various forms for under 100 bucks per axle.

EASIEST BRAKE JOB EVER!!! No special tools or nuttin' needed. Rotors are about 70 dollars each name brand Mopar slotteds. These cars are very heavy (Chargers, Magnums, and 300C's are LX's, Challenger is LC) and will eat brakes with a ham fisted driver. Hatteras said it earlier, the ESP system will quickly wear the rears if you don't disable the nannies.

Typical stealership story. Too bad the OP didn't look around at some of the forums like LXforum or 300cforums.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
At the end of the day don't buy a high performance car and complain about ownership costs. Of course its goings to cost a lot more to own than regular car.

Especially when it isn't my car... ;-)

Personally, I drive a pickup truck, and I fix my own brakes.

I still dont think the dealer is raping him. Dealer parts plus labor is about right.

Now i also dont think he needs to get dealer parts and if cable could do it himself very easily using just as good parts for much less.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Especially when it isn't my car... ;-)

Personally, I drive a pickup truck, and I fix my own brakes.

Yep a DIY brake job on my truck last year cost me $175 for 2 front rotors and a set of pads, all good quality. Judging by the wear will probably get 50k-60k out of the pads.

Originally Posted By: RH+G
I still dont think the dealer is raping him. Dealer parts plus labor is about right.

Now i also dont think he needs to get dealer parts and if cable could do it himself very easily using just as good parts for much less.

Agreed.

Chrysler quoted me over 2K to do the fronts on the M5. The guy telling me about it looked nervous about the price and showed me the parts list and their prices. I calmly replied "I know". At which point a wave of relief washed over his face. I told him, just like others in this thread are saying: You have to pay to play. You don't buy a high performance car and expect parts like brakes to be cheap.

Now, I'll do the brakes myself of course and save some money, but it will still be expensive. Not like doing the brakes on the Focus.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
just like others in this thread are saying: You have to pay to play. You don't buy a high performance car and expect parts like brakes to be cheap.

Now, I'll do the brakes myself of course and save some money, but it will still be expensive. Not like doing the brakes on the Focus.

bet you won't beat my DIY job. New rotors were 312.00 for all 4 slotted Name Branded Mopars. Aftermarket stoptech pads (check them out, they are EXCELLENT!) were only 148.00 for all 4 wheels. Took 1 hour and 15 minutes start to finish! Seriously the easiest brakes in the world to work on.

I love all the "my Honda/Saab/pickup truck got 70k out of a set of pads / rotors, what's up with his car/driving style??" posts. This is an SRT8 with Brembos, people. A performance car typically means > brake wear, < brake life, and > brake parts expense vs. your Civic and conservative driving style. Sheesh.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
just like others in this thread are saying: You have to pay to play. You don't buy a high performance car and expect parts like brakes to be cheap.

bet you won't beat my DIY job. New rotors were 312.00 for all 4 slotted Name Branded Mopars. Aftermarket stoptech pads (check them out, they are EXCELLENT!) were only 148.00 for all 4 wheels. Took 1 hour and 15 minutes start to finish! Seriously the easiest brakes in the world to work on.

Sounds like doing the Cobra brakes on my buddy's 'stang. Pull the pin, flip up the caliper, swap the pads, slide caliper back down, re-insert pin. I was flabbergast at how easy it was.

Sounds like doing the Cobra brakes on my buddy's 'stang. Pull the pin, flip up the caliper, swap the pads, slide caliper back down, re-insert pin. I was flabbergast at how easy it was.

That's real nice for guys that drive to the track and switch between street and race pads.

Anyone who services their vehicle at a dealer deserves that brake job.
$70 per hour labor..what a joke.
Then sell you parts you don't need.
Nice.

Originally Posted By: SkyGod
Anyone who services their vehicle at a dealer deserves that brake job.
$70 per hour labor..what a joke.
Then sell you parts you don't need.
Nice.

I really can't see how a full-service, legitimate auto shop can stay in business at $70/hr. Insurance, rent, salaries, continuing education, tools-- all of those cost a lot of money. $70/hr is nowhere enough to pay for all of that, so you must be cutting something out.

That's really true, but it's their outrageous parts pricing COMBINED with high labor that runs up the numbers.

It's actually less than a two hour job even for a novice, so 140 bucks labor wouldn't be too bad at all.

I guess it depends on where you live. Most shops around here are about $70/hr; but general cost of living is lower than CA.

Paying more than $70/hr they better give me a "fluff job" in the waiting room.

Doesn't the M5 have fixed calipers on the front? I used to love those on my Mercedes, just pull the two pins and the pads slide out the back, no need to remove the calipers for a normal pad change.

Doesn't the M5 have fixed calipers on the front? I used to love those on my Mercedes, just pull the two pins and the pads slide out the back, no need to remove the calipers for a normal pad change.

No idea, I haven't done brakes on it yet, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back