$1300 brake job on a Charger SRT8. = ???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I just checked on if a customer came in with a GT500 (Ford's closest competitor to the SRTChallenger) and wanted front pads and rotors. The rotors, going straight MSRP, no funny business are US$166.63 EACH. The front pad set is US$208.30. Right there you have US$541.46 pre tax in front parts alone. These being sourced from Brembo I would imagine Chrysler's prices would be similarish.

My 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero got 151k miles out of the original front rotors. 60k on the original pads and 90k on the replacements. Just DIYd that job with $210 worth of parts. The rear rotors and pads are original.

jeff

I dont doubt that big performance brakes are that $$$ to do, especially when rotors are in the story.

This is one of my gripes about modern cars too... We get these giant tires, giant brakes, supposedly much better performance (might only be marginal in the real world, IMO). Then we can't afford to maintain all these parts, so we revert to leasing, not doing jobs that need to be done, using inferior parts, etc.

Its one thing when it is a ridiculous situation like an econobox having 17", $150 tires that the buer of said ECONObox cannot afford. It is another thing with a car like an SRT8. You have to pay to play. Dont want to pay, then dont play.

A good indy is always a smart move. Save the big $$$ for the dealer jobs when it is justified. Stuff like brakes if not DIY should be a good indy. Now, some dealers are quite good and reasonably priced, but you need to size them up first.

I see nothing odd about that price.

SRT8 uses the expensive Brembo pads, at least up front. Those are probably $200/set and rotors are probably over $100/each.

Dealers often charge 1.5 to 2 hours per axle for labor, which is standard book rate. My usual Toyota dealer charges $145/hr for labor. $1300 doesn't sound that far out of line at all.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Maybe he drives it the way an SRT8 should be driven, FAST!

Other than on the track, driving fast has nothing to do with stopping fast. I love to wind'er out, but only when I safely can. There's no need to gun it from light to light, braking hard each time like I see a lot of drivers around here do.

I wonder some times how much material and time (and of course money) would be saved if every one drove appropriately, as in, not gunning it up to the next car in traffic before stomping on the brakes, from light to light, and etc.

Bottom line is that his car and his brake setup may not have a thing to do with why he needs new brakes so soon. There are guys who run the same brakes and tires as I do on their STIs, and who don't track their cars, but only seem to get half or less of the mileage I get out of them.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
folks get raped on brake jobs all the time.

exactly. I'm always appalled at the prices unsuspecting people pay for a 'brake job'.
I haven't met a car yet that couldn't get its brakes done w/ some scotch brite pads, a scrap piece of wood and a wood clamp.

easy peesy.

I have a set of Duralast Golds on the Trans Am.
140 1/4 miles passes stopping from about 117 mph and 23,000 miles.
Might be the best set of brakes I have had on a car.

that price really seems decent from the dealer, although I wouldn't do the autozone route....

the first page in this thread makes me sick with the replies, people are out of touch with prices and this car.

Most high end Euro cars have expensive brake jobs as well, I just did a rear brake job on an Audi A8 that was in excess of 500 bucks. 140 a rotor for high end aftermarket rotors from worldpac, 110 for the akebono pads, 2.6 labor hours to perform job, includes computer work to release electronic parking brake and changing the computer parameter on brake pad thickness.....

Big 4 piston calipers like on the front of the SRT-8 and maybe on the back, can have very expensive brake pads, you can find some performance pads over 200 bucks at cost.......

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Maybe he drives it the way an SRT8 should be driven, FAST!

Other than on the track, driving fast has nothing to do with stopping fast. I love to wind'er out, but only when I safely can. There's no need to gun it from light to light, braking hard each time like I see a lot of drivers around here do.

I wonder some times how much material and time (and of course money) would be saved if every one drove appropriately, as in, not gunning it up to the next car in traffic before stomping on the brakes, from light to light, and etc.

Bottom line is that his car and his brake setup may not have a thing to do with why he needs new brakes so soon. There are guys who run the same brakes and tires as I do on their STIs, and who don't track their cars, but only seem to get half or less of the mileage I get out of them.

So true and so few understand it... Seems most have to pretend that they are racecar drivers, but not appreciating physics or just how much money they are burning by driving so poorly.

Like Dave Ramsey says, "poor people do poor people things". Too many folks have too much $$$ tied up in cars and then dont respect them. Quite the waste.

People dont understand that brake jobs do cost this much when they get the car with these brembo brake kits. Brembo brake kits make brake jobs EXPENSIVE.

As far as the rotors alot of time when u do a pad change on brembo brake kit cars they have a squeel problem. Most of the time its from the customer not driving aggressive enough for the Brembos

Its funny cause as soon as I saw this I said this car has Brembos on it This aint rape at all on the pricing

Last edited:
I did a brake job on a Chrysler 300 SRT8 once and it was not that big a deal. I turned the rotors and slapped on some new pads front and rear. They were more pricey but not THAT BAD. The pads were under $100 per set which I think is reasonable for a Brembo setup. The pads came from NAPA since that is where our shop always gets its parts from. The vehicle had 30k really hard miles on it. You can just see how beat up the car was so I bet it was really rough miles. Dealers do a really good job taking advantage of people. Sad because that is the place you should feel safe going to if you really have issues with your car. They can't be trusted.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I dont doubt that big performance brakes are that $$$ to do, especially when rotors are in the story.

This is one of my gripes about modern cars too... We get these giant tires, giant brakes, supposedly much better performance (might only be marginal in the real world, IMO). Then we can't afford to maintain all these parts, so we revert to leasing, not doing jobs that need to be done, using inferior parts, etc.

Its one thing when it is a ridiculous situation like an econobox having 17", $150 tires that the buer of said ECONObox cannot afford. It is another thing with a car like an SRT8. You have to pay to play. Dont want to pay, then dont play.

A good indy is always a smart move. Save the big $$$ for the dealer jobs when it is justified. Stuff like brakes if not DIY should be a good indy. Now, some dealers are quite good and reasonably priced, but you need to size them up first.

I see nothing odd about that price.

I'm with you. I miss my old Integra...rotors were like $40/pair, pads were about $80. It ran on 195/55R15 tires for $90 each, and handled great.

My S4's rotors are about $250 each and pads are around $150. It needs 235/40R18 and still feels heavy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RH+G
People dont understand that brake jobs do cost this much when they get the car with these brembo brake kits. Brembo brake kits make brake jobs EXPENSIVE.

As far as the rotors alot of time when u do a pad change on brembo brake kit cars they have a squeel problem. Most of the time its from the customer not driving aggressive enough for the Brembos

Its funny cause as soon as I saw this I said this car has Brembos on it This aint rape at all on the pricing

X2.

Nothing new, and although prices in Canada are much higher I've seen people driving Civics/Corollas etc. come out from the dealer with similarly priced brake jobs.

That's what happens when people treat their second largest expense like a fridge or microwave, i.e "I don't care how it works, as long as it works". I have no sympathy for them.

Crazy. Although, to get the "good stuff" shipped to your door from RockAuto for this car would be $500 (or more).. before shipping. That's pads and rotors on all four corners. So given dealer mark-up, and labor.. I could see the price.

The thought that you need rotors at 23k without running your pads down to bare metal is nuts though. At $100+ per rotor I'd turn those suckers, if possible.

I just replaced all four corners, pads/rotors, on my F250 SD. 98k miles, original rotors. Total cost, about $360. DIY. Can't imagine how people pay other people to do all their stuff for them. I could never afford all the repair costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back