13 Lacrosse should I use PUP along with RESTORE Engine Restorer?

I live in Florida & drive the car around town (short trips)…do you think that Mobil 1 0W40 will be safe for my car? I ask this because it states in my owners manual to use 5W30.
Going up one grade from xW-30 to xW-40 isn't going to be a problem, especially in Florida.

The previous owner used to do 12000 miles OCI with Mobil 1 but when I saw the oil filter he used (framm tough) I was appalled. I can’t believe he wasn’t using a superior filter like Wix xp, Amsoil ea or Mobil 1’s best filter….especially with the OCI he was doing!
The Fram Tough Guard is rated to 15,000 miles and is 99% @ 20μ efficient. Way more efficient than the WIX XP.

The previous owner used to do 12000 miles OCI with Mobil 1 but when I saw the oil filter he used (framm tough) I was appalled. I can’t believe he wasn’t using a superior filter like Wix xp, Amsoil ea or Mobil 1’s best filter….especially with the OCI he was doing!
We got a live one here.

Back in 1990 I added a can or two of Restore to the 350 c.i. engine in my '76 Buick Electra following the directions on the cans and drove over 600 miles stopping only for gas. The engine was in fairly decent shape, it did have some blow by and used about a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Nothing changed after using the Restore. Nothing. Compression stayed the same, blow by stayed the same and oil consumption stayed the same. So in my case, Restore did nothing except make my wallet lighter!

The Fram Tough Guard is rated to 15,000 miles and is 99% @ 20μ efficient. Way more efficient than the WIX XP.
Oh wow, I didn’t know that especially with all the negativity framm filters get on here & from geargeads I talk too!

Those buick lacrosse vehicles seem to have a lot of problems. There have been several posters here with engine issues and whatever. All want to try a magic in a bottle solution too.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that especially with all the negativity framm filters get on here & from geargeads I talk too!
Negativity from decades ago is hard to break I guess. Go hang out in the oil filter forum to get a view on reality instead of misinformation. ;)

Do your flush and run 0W40 in it. I had a 2012 Equinox 2.5 and ran Mobil 1 0W40 when we would take it to Florida. Purred like a kitten. Got back home and went back to 5W30 because super short in town trips.
Hi there!

I’m getting ready to do an oil change on the LaCrosse & I just wanted to know which specific mobil-1 do you personally recommend?
(high mileage, synthetic, ESP Formula etc… options for 0w40).

I would def say NO to the engine restore. It is great stuff and I have seen it work wonders before, but that was on old, carbureted, seriously trashed engines, like junkyard trashed. I don't see it working with VVT of any kind, it will just plug instantly, the stuff looks like glitter with the huge metal pieces in it.

What I would agree with is a flush with Berryman's but follow Trav's instructions perfectly, cold engine, only at idle, no revving, not driven. I would also suggest the Mobil1 0w40, it is just one of the best oils you can buy as far as trying to clean things up. For the same price as anything else on the shelf, you just can't beat it. Don't worry about the viscosity, it is barely thicker than a 30 weight and will do absolutely no harm. It just has a ton more detergents in it than any of the other off the shelf oils and can free up and clean the entire engine. If it doesn't fix anything? Oh well, you tried. But it def won't hurt anything for sure and costs the same as any other Mobil1.

For Florida weather I would probably use 0w40 in all of my vehicles if I lived there.
Hi there,

Hi there!

I’m getting ready to do an oil change on the LaCrosse & I just wanted to know which specific mobil-1 do you personally recommend? I remember you telling me that 0w40 for driving conditions in FL would be no problem but I’m confused with all the different type of Mobil 1 0w40 oils & which would be best for my situation?

Hi there!

I’m getting ready to do an oil change on the LaCrosse & I just wanted to know which specific mobil-1 do you personally recommend?
One that carries any license or specification listed in your owner’s manual and is of the correct grade.

When you do a compression test it is dependent on the cranking ability of your battery and the RPM. Maybe jumper cables to another vehicle will get a better reading and start with the opposite cylinder #4. Does the engine consume oil? A leak down test is another test you can do. It can determine where the compressed air is escaping, exhaust intake valves or rings and done at TDC. Speaking from one who questioned my compression on a 2019 Mazda Miata. Zero oil consumption and runs well but failed the compression test.

If you're wanting to fix possible low compression, a fix I've heard is putting B12 Chemtool/Marvel Mystery/kerosene/DMSO (basically any strong solvent) directly into the spark plug hole, and then let it sit overnight, then crank it without spark plugs in and let it spit the solvent out. Do an oil change immediately after so you don't have the solvents sitting in the oil potentially causing leaks or swelling a seal the wrong way. I've heard some people even do it with the crank case empty for this reason.

The idea behind this is that sitting overnight lets the solvent work itself into the piston rings, and frees up any stuck rings and restores compression. If you think about it, compression loss on 1-2 cylinders is more likely due to stuck rings compared to wear, as wear would wear more evenly across the whole engine, whereas a stuck ring could happen from one cylinder having a bad injector, worse coil, etc, and getting worse combustion, or the piston oil control holes being manufactured a bit too small on one cylinder, etc.

At least this is what I would do before putting any magic solvent or compression restoring goop directly into the oil.

The compression test is two part. Dry test and wet test. The wet test is placing some motor oil in the spark plug hole.

Two cylinders next to each other that are low may indicate a head gasket leak.

Last edited:
i thought the 2.4 ecotec was a wards best engine what happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back