'13 Ford Escape tranny/PTU leaks

This is on a family member's 2013 Escape, has the 2.0 Ecoboost and AWD, 130k miles. Little bit of background, it has a surge to it when going 35-45 mph in the transmission - RPMS bounce by like 300 back and forth, above and below those speeds it's fine. A little over a year ago, I noticed that the driver's side CV axle seal was leaking. Took it to the dealer, replaced that seal, they topped it up and it drove perfect - no more surge. Gradually the surge came back, so last oil change I checked it out and didn't see any leaks under it. I just did an oil change on it yesterday and noticed some leaks/weeps - a little bit from the driver's side, more from the passenger side and then even more from the driveshaft out of the PTU. Is this common problem on these? Or is there something above that's known for leaking and drips down? Anyone have a guess of what the repair costs are? Wondering at this point if there's damage to the tranny. Here are some pics!
escape tranny pic 1.jpgescape tranny pic 2.jpgescape tranny pic 3.jpgescape tranny pic 4.jpgescape tranny pic 5.jpg

If the PTU is puking oil, it's done. At least that is what I've found in my online research-wife's Flex has a similar setup. Plenty of Youtube videos and forum chat on it.

Couple grand to replace. Poor design with low fluid capacity and no or little cooling even though it's nestled between the heat of the transmission and exhaust.

If the leak is at the output shaft, the seal might be replaceable, but I haven't seen that done anywhere.

Various ford techs on youtube say to change out that PTU fluid every 30k or it will cost you hard parts.

When you get it replaced, I would say to service the fluid every 30k in the trans and the PTU.

Back