13' F10 M5 S63Tu - Which engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have gone through all of the threads about oil recommendations and my head is spinning lol. I am coming up on an oil change and brake fluid flush. Im going to try and time the oil change right before the car goes into storage for the winter, this way the car sits with fresh oil over the winter months. I usually change the oil, detail the car and put her into storage the same day. This is how I normally do it, but this is the first oil change outside of warranty. The top recommendations I have read are (in no particular order):

- Mobil 1
- Liqui Moly
- Motul
- Redline
- BMW Oil
- Castrol Edge

I cant decide which to go with and I also can not decide which weight to choose. Manual calls for BMW LL01 approval. My car just turned 8k miles and is only driven from spring to fall in NJ, never tracked etc. When I tell you she is babied its an understatement. Also I have Zero oil consumption.

0W30, 0W40, 5W30 or 5W40??

Thanks guys, I am not looking to beat a dead horse, just looking for a few opinions on what you guys are using and a nudge in the right direction.

I appreciate all of your help!

Mobil 1 does not have an approved oil.
Liqui Moly is so-so.
Can't go wrong with Motul X-Cess.
Redline does not have an approved oil.
BMW M TPT 0W-40 would be my choice.
Castrol Edge 0W-40 or A3/B4 5W-30 would do well.

BMW, Castrol, Motul - would be my order.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Liqui Moly is so-so.

Agreed.

Liqui Moly is so-so.

Agreed. However, BMW TPT 0W-40 has been discontinued. TPT 5W-30 has also been discontinued. All BMW cars now getting LL-01 FE 0W-30 TPT.

I’d go with Castrol or Motul.

I'd that's the case then I'm on the Castrol/Motul LL01 train as well.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 would be another excellent choice.

I'd that's the case then I'm on the Castrol/Motul LL01 train as well.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 would be another excellent choice.

Yeah Pennzoil 5W-40 Euro would be another great option. Probably the closest thing to BMW TPT.

Thanks Guys, would you do the Motul X-Cess 5w40 or the X-Max 0w40?

Last edited:
X-Cess 5W-40. It's a bit thicker and carries more approvals in addition to LL01.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Yeah Pennzoil 5W-40 Euro would be another great option. Probably the closest thing to BMW TPT.

Plus it still comes in those sweet silver bottles with the Ferrari logo.

Originally Posted By: Blueline

Another vote for X-cess. No need for a 0W oil where you live.

My choice would be Castrol 0W40.
Motul is thicker, actually much thicker oil, but has same HTHS of 3.7.
It does not matter is oil 5W40 or 0W40 in your case.
Castrol is readily available and IMO, not sure in what aspect Motul is better.

I would just pick up some Castrol 0w40 and call it a day. It meets the LL-01 spec and many others and is readily available at walmart on the cheap. Dont really see the appeal of Motul other than it being a more boutique name.

I would run whatever Shell (BMW Branded) GTL the dealers are using. There's not going to be a huge difference between the LL01 and LL01FE. The LL01FE has been fine for autobahn speeds in Germany for over a decade so there's no reason why it shouldn't be fine for urban commuting in NJ.

Thanks for all the input guys!! Ok so far we have narrowed it down to Castrol 0w40, Motul X-Cess 5w40 and on the fence is Pennzoil Euro but they have a bunch so I have to see exactly which one you guys are referring to or they just changed their packaging recently. Thanks for the help so far, help me choose out of these three. These turbos get really hot after a nice ride and want to offer the best protection for the engine and the turbos. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: edyvw
My choice would be Castrol 0W40.
Motul is thicker, actually much thicker oil, but has same HTHS of 3.7.
It does not matter is oil 5W40 or 0W40 in your case.
Castrol is readily available and IMO, not sure in what aspect Motul is better.

Castrol 0W-40 is the winner considering the easy availability, long list of builder approvals and price. As you note grade is irrelevant between oils in that list.

Thanks for all the input guys!! Ok so far we have narrowed it down to Castrol 0w40, Motul X-Cess 5w40 and on the fence is Pennzoil Euro but they have a bunch so I have to see exactly which one you guys are referring to or they just changed their packaging recently. Thanks for the help so far, help me choose out of these three. These turbos get really hot after a nice ride and want to offer the best protection for the engine and the turbos. Thanks again!

The Pennzoil we are referring to is “Platinum Euro 5W-40”. It’s hard to find, really expensive, and only available in quart-size bottles.

Last edited:

The Pennzoil we are referring to is “Platinum Euro 5W-40”. It’s hard to find, really expensive, and only available in quart-size bottles.

Ok thanks! So Castrol, Motul or BMW oil?? Thanks guys!!

I just picked up 10 quarts and 2 Purolator Boss filters for $60. Not too bad. My Advance Auto Parts keeps it in stock.

Castrol or Motul. BMW doesn’t make an LL-01 oil anymore, only the fuel economy version (thinner) LL-01FE.

Pick whichever you prefer. They are both great and have a long history of good results to actually prove it.

Castrol or Motul. BMW doesn’t make an LL-01 oil anymore, only the fuel economy version (thinner) LL-01FE.

Pick whichever you prefer. They are both great and have a long history of good results to actually prove it.

Thanks you very much! It’s greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back