13' F10 M5 S63Tu - Which engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
The Pennzoil we are referring to is “Platinum Euro 5W-40”. It’s hard to find, really expensive, and only available in quart-size bottles.

I just picked up 10 quarts and 2 Purolator Boss filters for $60. Not too bad. My Advance Auto Parts keeps it in stock.

I’ll see if they have it locally, thanks! Great price

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I would run whatever Shell (BMW Branded) GTL the dealers are using. There's not going to be a huge difference between the LL01 and LL01FE. The LL01FE has been fine for autobahn speeds in Germany for over a decade so there's no reason why it shouldn't be fine for urban commuting in NJ.

And yet no oil manufacturer recommends LL-01FE in Germany or EU but LL-01.
But regardless, BMW dealers in Germany DO NOT use LL01 but LL04.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I would run whatever Shell (BMW Branded) GTL the dealers are using. There's not going to be a huge difference between the LL01 and LL01FE. The LL01FE has been fine for autobahn speeds in Germany for over a decade so there's no reason why it shouldn't be fine for urban commuting in NJ.

Only because the EU moved to ULSG/ULSD.

Only because the EU moved to ULSG/ULSD.

I know long time ago, so it is not LL01FE it is LL04, which is just Mid-SAPS version of LL01.

How does every BMW oil thread turn into a war of what BMW runs in Europe versus United States.

Bcs. reason why BMW runs those "water based" oils here is CAFE. Not sure they have in mind owners after lease.
Point is, all those engines are perfectly fine running LL01 or in diesels case, LL04, nad better in the long run.
I know you also take BMW advice 100% right? So you never changed tranny. fluid etc.

How does every BMW oil thread turn into a war of what BMW runs in Europe versus United States.

Bcs. reason why BMW runs those "water based" oils here is CAFE. Not sure they have in mind owners after lease.
Point is, all those engines are perfectly fine running LL01 or in diesels case, LL04, nad better in the long run.
I know you also take BMW advice 100% right? So you never changed tranny. fluid etc.

We’re on the same page here re BMW maintenance. I just don’t think this subject warrants repeating in every thread.

Simple. Some people have a bias towards thicker oil for whatever reason and would justify this bias by saying "Germany does it". So now that the Germans have moved to a lighter weight oil all of a sudden the "German way" isn't good enough.

So some say the LL01FE is too thin so I pointed out that this oil was available in Germany almost 20 years ago which was during the "thick is right" heyday.

The fact that LL01FE isn't available in Europe doesn't mean anything. LL04 replaced LL01 years ago and then there are bunch of current BMW certs which are of "FE" type. Consequently there's no market for a LL01FE in Europe.

Using LL01FE in the US allows dealers to stock maybe two variants of bulk oil. Once ULSG is cemented in the market place LL01FE will disappear as well.

Exactly. LL14 FE+ 0W-20, LL12 FE 0W-30, and the new LL17 FE+ 0W20 are being used by BMW for the cars in Europe.

Only time will tell how these perform, but I suspect they will be fine.

Simple. Some people have a bias towards thicker oil for whatever reason and would justify this bias by saying "Germany does it". So now that the Germans have moved to a lighter weight oil all of a sudden the "German way" isn't good enough.

So some say the LL01FE is too thin so I pointed out that this oil was available in Germany almost 20 years ago which was during the "thick is right" heyday.

The fact that LL01FE isn't available in Europe doesn't mean anything. LL04 replaced LL01 years ago and then there are bunch of current BMW certs which are of "FE" type. Consequently there's no market for a LL01FE in Europe.

Using LL01FE in the US allows dealers to stock maybe two variants of bulk oil. Once ULSG is cemented in the market place LL01FE will disappear as well.

Re-hashing this slightly older thread because I'll be getting into an F10 M5 very soon and was looking for the best oil for it here in my Central Texas climate. I've seen the UOA's of Motul's 8100 X-cess 5w-40 and it looks great. However, I think I've found an even better oil from Ravenol, in their 5w-40 VST. First off, Ravenol is as transparent with their oil specs as anybody, and more so than most. Motul won't tell you what the NOACk is, neither will Shell via their Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, even though either of those would be my strong alternative choices.

Ravenol publishes a 7.4 NOACK with superior pour (-51ºC) and flash (240ºC) points than anyone else out there, which is a testament in large part due to the base stock of the oil they use. Ravenol's VST 5w-40 os a PAO based fully synthetic oil with their USVO and CleanSynto technology that achieves extremely high viscosity stability. I'll dump the factory fill which I believe is the BMW 0w-30 with around a thousand miles on it, do a UOA on it, and pour in some Ravenol VST and report on it. Ravenol can be had very easily shipped directly to your door via Blauparts in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back