12 Valve options/opinions

Hello all, I recently acquired a new to me 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the 12V CTD with 194k miles on the clock. I’ve read quite a few older threads but wanted to get some opinions on what oil to run. I realize that most any name brand HDEO in 15w40 or 5w40 should suffice but I haven’t kept up recently on additive packages etc. In my previous diesel pickups I’ve run Rotella, Delo, and Delvac. Just looking for some insight on these old 12 valves and what, if anything they prefer. I will be running the Fleetguard LF16035 filter. Appreciate the help.

-Any diesel 15w-40 would be good.

-Make sure to address the killer dowel pin by installing the tab kit, otherwise the engine will go bang. Replace the front main seal while at it.

-Join the turbodieselregister and perform all the fuel system upgrades so you do not get air in the injection system that causes it to run funny.

-Do not run the 370 marine injectors, there are just about a bazillion better offerings by now. Run 11 up to 12.5 degrees of timing, not 8 or 9.

-Inspect the front drive shaft that goes from xfer case to front diff. Fix the CV joint in the middle before it tears out the front bearings on the xfer case.

-Reroute, install kit for the road draft tube, you genuinly do not want to breathe that in.......

-Read and study how to do heater core and evaporator core as these will be a commom failure (especially the evap core).

-Stock up on front end parts, mine ate balljoints, ujoints, and wheel hubs for lunch. There is a very long draglink bar that has one lousy joint the fails often. There is an upgraded one you can get but I forgot the brand name.

-Keep a spare throttle position sensor handy in case yours goes bad. Make the automatic tranny shift terrible when they fail.

-Consider using -181 or -191 delivery valves on the pump in addition to new higher performance injectors.

Hello all, I recently acquired a new to me 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the 12V CTD with 194k miles on the clock. I’ve read quite a few older threads but wanted to get some opinions on what oil to run. I realize that most any name brand HDEO in 15w40 or 5w40 should suffice but I haven’t kept up recently on additive packages etc. In my previous diesel pickups I’ve run Rotella, Delo, and Delvac. Just looking for some insight on these old 12 valves and what, if anything they prefer. I will be running the Fleetguard LF16035 filter. Appreciate the help.

These Cummins are overly fussy on oil. I use Delvac 1300 15w40 in my 6.7L, and will be switching to Mystik next oil change. OEM filters (Fleetguard or Mopar) are the way to go IMO. Not sure on your 95 but I change my fuel filters yearly on my 2012.

just my $0.02

1655859946885.jpg

The old 12v engines are very reliable. What few issues they do have (some cracked blocks; KDP; etc) have NOTHING to do with the oil choices you may make.

Pick a decent 15w-40 of any brand-name or house-brand and rest easy; they don't "prefer" anything. Seriously, despite all the hype you're likely to hear, it really just won't make any discernable difference.

Back