New Cummins on the way, a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightman, yes, I did make an error, 12 qts for the Cummins, for some reason I was thinking 3 cases of oil, not 3 gallons.

Anyone know how the Oilguard compares to an Amsoil bypass filter? It's a bit more costly of a unit and replacement filters are higher than the Oilguard.

Rhinds, both are very comparable in terms of performance, through the oil analyses I've seen. The oilguard unit and replacements are cheaper, however the only trade off is the amsoil unit is a spin on, which makes filter changes much easier and less messy. The oilguard has a threaded outer case which must be removed, oil dumped, then the filter itself must be spun off the inner part of the top mount. It's really easy but messy and you can burn your hands if you're not careful. If I were to do it again, I would have gone with the amsoil. If you don't mind getting a little messy (i had reasonable success using plastic bags around the filter) the oilguard is cheaper. Amsoil offers the dual remote mount though, which is nice, depending how hard your oil filter is to access....

quote:

Originally posted by Lightman:
Rhinds, you are smoking some good stuff, please pass it. The cummins holds 12 quarts, or 3 gallons....
grin.gif

No wonder my '03 HO smokes so much, white smoke at that. I been putting in 3 cases every change. Glad I can save some money now.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kondor:

quote:

Rhinds, you are smoking some good stuff, please pass it. The cummins holds 12 quarts, or 3 gallons....
grin.gif

No wonder my '03 HO smokes so much, white smoke at that. I been putting in 3 cases every change. Glad I can save some money now.
pat.gif

Funny stuff. 3 cases would be a **** of a lot of oil!!!

quote:

Amsoil offers the dual remote mount though, which is nice, depending how hard your oil filter is to access....

Don't forget Amsoil offers both a single bypass(by itself) or the dual remote.

As far as filtering capacity/effeciency goes. I think that the Amsoil and Oilguard are very close in effeciency. Capacity would go to the Amsoil unit, 1 because you can choose which size spin-on you want depending on the room and how often you want to change out that filter.

Cost of the replacement elements are about $20-$26 depending on size the BE 90 is 1 quart capacity and the BE110 is 2 quarts.

I know that the Oilguard has several models depending on size as well.

You can get into the Amsoil single mount for about $125 plus the filter. The dual remote runs $186 and includes both a by-pass element and a full flow filter.

Hope this helps.
 -

Amsoil single by-pass:
 -

Amsoil dualremote:
 -

Theres a guy that makes sweet billet adapters and mount kits for the Amsoil dual bypass that fit Cummins trucks, named John Strenowski. Search for him on the TDR or DTR if folks are interested in bypass systems. The spin on adapter that comes with the amsoil system is flimsy IMO. It's cast, with tapered pipe threads and has been known to leak inevitably. I believe this is his site. www.jasonh.net/john

The amsoil system is good, but it comes down to the fact that these cummins engines will go 500k without trying on regular dino oil...let alone premium synthetic....I just see no point in bothering with a bypass system.

Delvac 1 and fleetguard stratopore filters here we come!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back