12 Point Sockets...Are You Guilty ?

Before I knew any better I rounded off plenty of drain plugs with them. Sometimes I end up rounding them off even with a 6 point too maybe it’s me haha 😂. But they have their uses. Used on Kia head bolts and on Freightliner and plenty of other things too just to name a couple.

True...IIRC, even the older Jeep 4.0 used 12 pt head bolts. I like to keep it simple: 6 pt sockets on 6 pt bolts, and 12 pt sockets on 12 pt bolts.
Yeah I think so. Toyota does as well. A lot of things do actually. And yeah that’s what I try to do now. I’m one of the few in the shop with 12 points so if anyone needs them they come to someone like me that does have them.

Before I knew any better I rounded off plenty of drain plugs with them. Sometimes I end up rounding them off even with a 6 point too maybe it’s me haha 😂. But they have their uses. Used on Kia head bolts and on Freightliner and plenty of other things too just to name a couple.
That can happen with cheap tools. Good 12 points, like SK, Williams, or Snap-On, don’t round bolt heads as easily.

I have so many sockets I normally grab the first I find and sometimes its's a 12 point. That said I can't remember the last time I rounded a fastener.

I use both 6 & 12 point. Only time I've rounded a fastener using a 12 point in many years if someone tightened it too **** tight to begin with. I've also twisted heads off bolts for the same reason. I'd much rather have a rounded head than none at all.

I have redundant 6 and 12 point Craftsman sockets from the set I bought in the early 90s. I usually grab the 6 point but sometimes the 12. Both have performed well over the years, and I can't remember ever rounding a nut with any Craftsman 12 pt socket or wrench, old or new. Husky 12 pt wrenches didn't perform as well.

I just bought a 1/4 12Pt set for tight places. I have used plenty of 12Pt sockets over the with my 1/2 metric set doing a LOT of work even big breaker bars!

Back