12 Point Sockets...Are You Guilty ?

Have used them but my favorite has been my Metwrench set that I purchased many years ago. It is my go to tool set...

For removing a drain plug ? Generalization does not apply …
IMO 6 point tools are redundant and just take up space.

12 point sockets and wrenches work on 6 and 12 point fasteners.

If a 12 point sockets strips a fastener, either the socket or fastener was junk. I try not to make a habit of working on junk.

If a 12 point sockets strips a fastener, either the socket or fastener was junk. I try not to make a habit of working on junk.

I’m not talking talking about a mechanics tool set… just my oil change stuff
I have 3 of these that fit 3 vehicles and are hung with my filter wrenches
with the filter on top and this wrench - off ramps and one arms length …
Not going to use a 12 point on a ratchet for that …

Always tried to use the exact tool for the job. My biggest problem was always overtightening everything. I got cured of that afer stripping out so many and having to drill and tap to fix stuff.

Last edited:
The first set of tools I bought with my own money was a made-in-USA Stanley socket set, 3/8-drive SAE and Metric.... The SAE sockets were 12-point and the metrics were 6-point. I never did figure out why.

I bought cheaper sets of hardware store brand socket sets in the 70's and maybe into the 1980's sears cheaper sets of 12 point.. sockets and open end wrenches. I have bought all 6 point sockets except maybe some snap on electronics sets since then. I now often just use my gearwrench swivel deep 6 point impact sockets for everything.
25 years ogo sears offered mid length 6 point sockets in metric and inch / sae sets.

The first set of tools I bought with my own money was a made-in-USA Stanley socket set, 3/8-drive SAE and Metric.... The SAE sockets were 12-point and the metrics were 6-point. I never did figure out why.
Thats what they had a lot of in the warehouse

Both 6 and 12 point now have relieved corners so the flats are contacted not the corners. No socket without relieved corners, like the old ones, grabs just the flats. The corner goes first, rounds off, and the rounding just keeps going worse like a ramp. Six point used to be better for that. A 6 point still starts at the corners, the socket isn’t tight on the fastener. All the good companies have drawings of how this works and have made small improvements to contact the flats even more. Flank drive plus and all that.

Last edited:
Both 6 and 12 point now have relieved corners so the flats are contacted not the corners. No socket without relieved corners, like the old ones, grabs just the flats. The corner goes first, rounds off, and the rounding just keeps going worse like a ramp. Six point used to be better for that. A 6 point still starts at the corners, the socket isn’t tight on the fastener. All the good companies have drawing of how this works and have made small improvement to contact the flats even more. Flank drive plus and all that.
I tried buying about 500 dollars of snap on impact sockets. 1/2 drive.. but when it arrived rusty and looked like the sockets rolled down a mile of concrete I returned the poorly made junk and bought allen impact sockets. Less than half the price and way better machining and in flawless condition.

Don’t do suspension work in the rust belt then. 6 point, twelve point, doesn’t matter just get the torch!

No disrespect intended for the actual mechanics who run into rounded bolts and the 6 point does go farther in on the flats than a 12, so has more chance to contact below the rounded part. I haven’t run into rounded bolts for many years. Even the 96 pickup I work on, haven’t found one fastener is rounded yet. Especially drain plugs are victims of pliers etc so even a 12 point flank drive may not get enough flank to contact if it is too chewed up.

I use them all the time on indoor/non-automotive where there's no rust or 3rd party, potential overtorque situation. Automotive, try to avoid and find a different way less likely to round off the fastener, at least until it's loosened a bit.

I use 12pt quite a bit, 12pt makes getting the ratchet with the socket on hidden bolts with limited swing for the ratchet so much easier.
No removing it and turning the 6pt socket a bit and try to get it back on the bolt head again stuff. Rotten bolt heads here usually require a Rocket socket not a 6pt.

No disrespect intended for the actual mechanics who run into rounded bolts and the 6 point does go farther in on the flats than a 12, so has more chance to contact below the rounded part. I haven’t run into rounded bolts for many years. Even the 96 pickup I work on, haven’t found one fastener is rounded yet. Especially drain plugs are victims of pliers etc so even a 12 point flank drive may not get enough flank to contact if it is too chewed up.
Yeah - you have touched on plastic deformation of the fasteners which would occur differently because of the contact patch and angles of force applied (6 or 12) - which even differs between a socket -vs- a wrench …

Another thing is personal preferences that an actual mechanic would have -vs- a DIY guy trying to save money instead of being more productive …

Back