$1185 to replace harness in my xB - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that its a federal law that safety equipment had to be under warranty for 10 years?

I'd ask to speak to the zone rep, and take this issue higher up the food chain.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I was under the impression that its a federal law that safety equipment had to be under warranty for 10 years?

Interesting. Anybody else have any other information on this?

This is true that most manufactures WILL repair seat belt components at no cost for the life of a car in the USA, the reason being that very few people request this service.

I emailed Scion Corp directly and asking them about the issue, my experience and see if I can get more out of them to repair. I told them I was grateful for the 50% and it wasn't a mean email by any means, never know though! Worth a try!

Originally Posted By: chrome
Is the pretensioner part of the seat belt?

I read somewhere the in the US, the car manufacturer must warrant the seat belt for the life of the car. The Accords had issues with the belt buckles that sets off the SRS, and Honda replaces them under warranty regardless if the actual car is still under warranty or not.

Ford covers them under the bumper to bumper warranty or under the ESP if the customer purchases that, same with Mazda.

I have run the part number under Ford's parts coverage tool for dealers on a car with 36001 miles and it said not covered.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
The first time, they told me the front air bag passanger harness needed replaced, estimate at $1185 to do.

Out of warranty for the repair. Toyota offered to cover 50% of the cost.

I'm thinking an independent automotive electrical repair shop should to be able to fix your car for less than
$592.50. I'm also wondering why you even bother having your car at a Toyota dealer if it's out of warranty...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The first time, they told me the front air bag passanger harness needed replaced, estimate at $1185 to do.

Out of warranty for the repair. Toyota offered to cover 50% of the cost.

I'm thinking an independent automotive electrical repair shop should to be able to fix your car for less than
$592.50. I'm also wondering why you even bother having your car at a Toyota dealer if it's out of warranty...

Unless one has a $$$$ or $$,$$$ scanner, pulling airbag codes is difficult to impossible.

Good luck, and hope they have a "secret warranty" they can help you out with, more than they already have!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I've never heard of a federal safety equipment warranty.

You may be thinking of the special 8 yr/80,000 mile warranty the federal government mandates for certain emissions components.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Hardness is one of those thing that should last the life of the car (or at least decades) unless it was damaged or manufacture defect.

It is labor intensive to replace, and since it is custom to each car, you won't find aftermarket for it, and junkyard would be a good source for old car that need a completely new hardness. The reason dealer don't want to trace down the offending wire is it is so labor intensive they don't want to do it, and it may be easy to have a short that cause more liability later.

Since it happens right after they did some work, have them isolate the location of the harness failure to prove that they didn't damage it. If the location is near or along the way of their work, ask them to pay for it instead of springing 1/2 of the $1200 they ask for.

Scion emailed me back asking to contact them directly via phone.

I called them up and they opened a case for me. I explained why I am seeking the out of warranty coverage and all that... He kindly explained that if Toyota was the one who offered the 50/50 coverage on the repair that generally they are the highest on the totem pole and generally is the final say. But if the dealer was the one to cover 50% of the cost they may be able to help out further.

I tried to explain it being a non wear-and-tear item and coming on the very next day after the warranty recall work was done I feel it was just really strange. Never having an issue ever before. Also, with the warranty being 60 month, 60K miles on the SRS system, I am under the 60 months but over the mileage by 8K that if they could possibly bend to cover it somehow.

He was really nice though and will investigate further and contact me back on Thursday regarding the final call on it.

We can hope for the best! I don't expect anything but it was worth a try!

Scion emailed me back asking to contact them directly via phone.

I called them up and they opened a case for me. I explained why I am seeking the out of warranty coverage and all that... He kindly explained that if Toyota was the one who offered the 50/50 coverage on the repair that generally they are the highest on the totem pole and generally is the final say. But if the dealer was the one to cover 50% of the cost they may be able to help out further.

I tried to explain it being a non wear-and-tear item and coming on the very next day after the warranty recall work was done I feel it was just really strange. Never having an issue ever before. Also, with the warranty being 60 month, 60K miles on the SRS system, I am under the 60 months but over the mileage by 8K that if they could possibly bend to cover it somehow.

He was really nice though and will investigate further and contact me back on Thursday regarding the final call on it.

We can hope for the best! I don't expect anything but it was worth a try!

This is the best way for a customer to handle it. The dealer has their hands tied by the manufacturer's involvement. If you are a good customer that has their vehicle serviced by the dealer they might pick up the balance of the repair. If this is their first time seeing you, good luck. But if the customer calls the manufacturer directly and they get to hear the customers side of the story, they sometimes give in and cover more.

Hopefully, you weren't a victim of some level of sabotage, and of course you are being honest as well to be fair.
smile.gif

Please, update your results.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Hopefully, you weren't a victim of some level of sabotage, and of course you are being honest as well to be fair.
smile.gif

Please, update your results.

While it might not be sabotage in this specific case it isn't out of the question. One of the things I used to hear quite often when working at dealers was the old saying "In order to fix one thing you have to break another".

I just had an issue where a Honda dealer
cross threaded EIGHT lugs/studs when they were rotating tires during the cars last visit! Accident? I don't think so.

I should get a call back tonight by Scion.

Funny thing is though, today I get in my car to run my errands, and the airbag light is now off and after I started my car 4-5 times while out, never came back.

*scratches head*

No idea... Seems weird it comes and goes like it does. I get it reset at dealer and its gone for a month and a half. Comes back last week and stays on all week but today shuts off again. Does that sound like a harness or more like a sensor issue?

Last edited:
Already did that last weekend and lights still there. I unseated each one under both seats and even used electrical contact cleaner although I am sure it was not needed. Can't hurt. Today the light just randomly shut off.

I bet it will be back soon enough though!

Already did that last weekend and lights still there. I unseated each one under both seats and even used electrical contact cleaner although I am sure it was not needed. Can't hurt. Today the light just randomly shut off.

I bet it will be back soon enough though!

Need to see if they can pull pending codes out of the ECU or SRS modules. I've love to know what they are.

I just got off the phone with Scion/Toyota Corp...

It has been a few extra days, as they have been having trouble reaching the regional rep or something of the sort to confirm who was offered the 50/50 payment for the repair (If it was the dealer or toyota directly). Once they do, they will be able to go ahead with the request for additional funding.

From the sounds of it, they are looking to cover the other 50% and have the repair done at no charge to me. Mainly because I am just out of the 5yr/60K warranty on the SRS system. I am one month away from the 5yr limit, but at 69K miles. So it appears they are going to try and do a courtesy repair.

My car goes in tomorrow for the harness work for the next two days... They will reimburse after the fact (if they get finalized permission to do so) and will basically write me a check for the repair afterward for whatever I paid out of pocket.

So things are looking quite good at this point. I hope everything works out well! $600 is a big chunk of change to save.

I will update once I hear more... But Toyota/Scion have been extremely kind and helpful so far.

Last edited:
Well that was quick...

Just got a call back 10 minutes after getting off phone with them. They are going to cover the remainder of the repair!

So it will cost me nothing to get the harness replaced!

I am really excited and glad I called them up to get additional funding. Totally worth it!

Well that was quick...

Just got a call back 10 minutes after getting off phone with them. They are going to cover the remainder of the repair!

So it will cost me nothing to get the harness replaced!

I am really excited and glad I called them up to get additional funding. Totally worth it!

Nice. It is always good that a manufacturer / dealer step up to cover an abnormal expensive repair right pass the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back