'11 Kia Sorento | 3,200 miles | 5w20 |

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA for the Sorento. Parents vehicle. It's babied. Never floored and driven daily. Oil was filled by Dealership. They placed a Mobil 1 sticker on the windshield for the next change, but I think they just had left over stickers. Really not sure what brand of oil they used before and after. Was a genuine KIA Oil filter each time. I would've done it but they got a ton of free oil changes.

b8JJcPm.png

Last edited:
Looks like a VOA of Castrol GTX but the sodium looks a little low so I'm probably wrong. It's probably a non-name brand bulk oil.

What is the OCI interval on these cars?

Last edited:
Good oil analysis.

In extending the OCI, watch out for shearing of the oil from the multiple (long) timing changes and fuel dilution from short trips which thin out the oil.

7.37cSt @ 100c. is a little low for a 20-weight oil after only 3,200 miles.

Thanks for the input. Majority of the driving is from the house to work and it's only ~2.5 mile trip to there. This sample was taken after we just had 6 weeks of 5F or below and lots of idle to let the vehicle warm up. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it

The oil looks unremarkable but the results aren't. Nice.

I still cringe when I see 20 grades that end up here though even with good results.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The oil looks unremarkable but the results aren't. Nice.

I still cringe when I see 20 grades that end up here though even with good results.

You thinking I should have them switch over to 5W30 after they keep getting free oil changes? I won't be here all the time to monitor it though.

I would personally use 5w30 but clearly from this UOA they can keep doing just what they are doing. Great results.

The OP can confirm but I think the '11 2.4L is non-GDI. That will make a difference in the fuel dilution numbers and 5W-20 should be fine.

Unless you want to move up a grade, no need for 5w30 and this uoa is proof of that. We've seen plenty good uoa while using the mfr spec'd oil. 5w20 has been the prominent grade since the Theta-II 2.4L entered the mkt late 2009 in 2010 models. Also, you advise this vehicle 'is babied'. Dilution is typically more present during this type of driving but again, the uoa shows otherwise. This is an excellent uoa showing that plain, most probably conventional, bulk will do the job nicely.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back