10W30 for a Toronto Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not quite sure why anyone would want to abuse a diesel by not using a block heater or something in the cold of winter. I use 10w30 in winter and 15w40 in summer in my diesels.

Believe me, if it was up to me I would insist on use of the block heaters. But the company is a moving company and the drivers are strong muscular guys good at handling heavy stuff but not so good at little things like plugging in and remembering to unplug block heaters. The company feels it will be too much hassle to get the drivers to plug in the block heaters. It is out of my hands, so it is what it is.

Webasto and Espar make engine coolant heaters that use diesel to fire them. They can be set on timers to go to work and warm up the engine coolant. They will raise the typical medium duty engine coolant temps to 150F in 1 hr. There are always solutions. But I see your hands are tied to some degree.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I have been using Delvac 1 0W40 ESP in our small fleet at work (Cummins ISB, Cat C7, Mercedes 906) in the winter and 15W40 in the summer.

If I used Delvac 1300 10W30, will the engines be adversely affected during cold starts in winter? We might get about five days in a winter where the temperature drops below -20C. It never drops below -25C. We do not use block heaters. The engines have always started up easily with the 0W40.

You'll be just find with dino 10w-30. You don't get cold enough there to worry about it. Your average low is +12 deg F, and you'll dip down to about -5 F occasionally but not often.

I run 10w-30 year round, and it gets cold in IN as well. A few years ago we had a snap where it was down to -17F at night and -10 during the day. My Dmax fired right up with no block heater (power was out for almost four days).

Today's diesels (with common rail injection or HEUI) and intake heaters do far better than the old IDI engines in terms of starting reliably.

Rather that worry about the lube, place your emphasis on making sure your battery and electrical charging systems are in good shape. Do that and you'll be fine.

Give Petro-Canada Duron series a look. Among the best (and sometimes the best) cold viscosities around. Their 10w30 looks nice with a 5570cP@-25 CCV and 3.5cP HTHS. Sourcing it would be your next challenge.

Again to reiterate the PC 10w30. Its pour point is -42, same as T5 and 2-3 degrees behind most of the 0 and 5w full synthetic oils. Its CCV is better than T5.

See what bulk dealers are around. Out on the prairies of all places PC dealers are in [censored] near every town.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I cannot find a diesel 5W30 at a reasonable price.. We have an account at work with Noco and pay just over $7/l for the 0W40 and they wanted over $10/l for the Delvac 1 LE 5W30.

As 4WD indicated, I get better pricing than that. I can get the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 cheaper than Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, both around $25 a jug, give or take. Check with another distributor. Another option to consider is Delvac Elite 222 0w-30; it's pricing is fairly close to the Delvac conventional options.

4WD: We get a Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 up here, in addition to the 5w-40. The 5w-40 has more approvals, though.

Yes, this one is a bit of a strange one. They usually market is as a synthetic, but have, on occasion indicated it's a blend. I believe all the sheets say synthetic, but I've seen boxes in the Imperial Oil warehouse mention blend. Either way, the price is right, as is the winter capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back