10W-30 ACEA A3 Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second newbie question:

I recently bought a ’98 BMW 328i. BMW recommends an ACEA A3 oil and I’ve been checking labels. The Mobil 1 High-Mileage 10W-30 label claims it meets this spec, and, to my surprise, so does the SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30.

I’ve looked but I can’t find any UOAs on the ST 10W-30 or the M1 High Mileage 10W-30 – of course, I’m not sure I’m doing a decent job of searching, either.

Comments?

Thanks,

Keith

Valvoline also makes several other oils that would qualify and work well for you. For your climate and engine I would use at least a 10W-30 A3 oil, or better yet, Valvoline Maxlife 10W-40 (easiest to find and good value in 5 quart container), Synpower 5W-40, or Durablend 10W-40. Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and 10W-40 would both work for A3 and both easy to find. Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 works well and easy to find, but mostly in gallon containers for about $15-18.

If your UOA tests well, engine is fairly quiet, and doesn't consume oil on the 10W-30 A3, that may work for you, too.

Your BMW requires a 40 weight in Texas.

From Amzoil:

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SM
SAE 10W-40 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
-20 To 10°F......10W-30
-20 To 20°F......10W-40
Above 5°F......15W-40
Below 32°F......5W-20
Below 50°F......5W-30

Originally Posted By: kgvickers
My second newbie question:

I recently bought a ’98 BMW 328i. BMW recommends an ACEA A3 oil and I’ve been checking labels. The Mobil 1 High-Mileage 10W-30 label claims it meets this spec, and, to my surprise, so does the SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30.

I’ve looked but I can’t find any UOAs on the ST 10W-30 or the M1 High Mileage 10W-30 – of course, I’m not sure I’m doing a decent job of searching, either.

Comments?

Thanks,

Keith

North American products in 10w-30 with ACEA A3 are very new animals - they didn't really exist a couple of years ago - that's why there are no UOA's.

The BMW engine doesn't need a specific viscosity so long as it meets ACEA A3. There are 5w-30's at the low end and 10w-60's at the high end that meet this spec. Every engine will perform "well enough" on any of them, but each has a sweet spot (my car's engine does best on 5w-40's, for instance).

The most important thing to do is make sure the label on the bottle says ACEA A3 - that means it's tested and certified. After that, just run it for a while, do a UOA and find out how it's working. If the wear's good and nothing else is wrong, then you've got a car that will go a very long way. Those M52 engines are very strong and reliable.

Quote:
The BMW engine doesn't need a specific viscosity so long as it meets ACEA A3.

That's an interesting reply; would you care to extend on that a little further?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's an interesting reply; would you care to extend on that a little further?

I pulled up the TIS database for BMW's - the service publication. For the 1998 M52 2.8 liter engine, they say you can use any of ACEA A3/B3, "Special Oil", LL-98 or LL-01 oil in viscosity ratings of (0, 5, 10, 15)w - (30, 40, 50 or 60). It's pretty non-specific as far as viscosity - what is very specific is that every oil except the ACEA type must be certified by BMW.

"LL" oils are (0 or 5)w-(30 or 40) and have no temperature limits.

"Special Oil" is a (5 or 10)w-(30, 40, 50 or 60), low temp limit on 10w - only for use above -20 degrees C.

ACEA A3/B2 and ACEA A3/B3 oils are conventional oils and they have conventional temperature limits on them. The application chart starts at 5w-20, covers 5w-30, 10w-30 and 10w-40 and finishes at 15w-40 with temp ranges spec'd for each.

The key point is that for the 1998 M52, ALL four oil spec's above are approved.

Hence, use any viscosity you want; just make sure it meets at least one of the specs above and if it's a conventional oil, make sure its within the approved temp range.

jaj:

Thanks for that info. I'm going to try the M1 High Mileage 10W30 and hope it stops the slight seepage from the oil pan gasket.

BTW, where can I find that "TIS" database for BMW?

Thanks,

Keith

Hello folks,

I've a BMW 330D with the M57N engine (204bhp/410nm@1500rpm)
I'm South African based in France. My French BMW dealer uses BMW Long Life LL04 5W30 across the range as standard. You do have the option of a 0W30 but it's never that cold to warrant the use of a 0W. For the M3/5 they use Castrol TWS 10/60. WHatever they use, it's always Castrol.

IF I was in South Africa, we'd be using a 10W40 as the temperatures are rarely less than -5°C in winter or more than 35°C during summer.

In France it's never less than -10°C in winter or more than 30°c in summer, where I am. You could get one or two days with 32°C, or even 40°c as it was once or twice, but thats unusual. Most summer temperature in France is 20°C to 28°c.

Questions :
- What is the upper limit in ambient temperature for a 5W30 BMW LL04 oil?
- What is the upper limit in the ambient temperature for a 5W30 oil that is not necessarily LL04 approved?
- If I drive 200km, at 160km/h or if I drive 900km, towing a Caravan at 130km/h, do you think the 5W30 BMW LL04 is up to the task or should I be using a 5W40 BMW LL04, if I'm in French summer.

Personally, I like the 5W30. Engine is free revving, I have done 30 000km inbetween oil service, without adding oil. I know that the 5W40, if used at too low operating temperature creates drag and is also resposible for turbo lag in the VGT type turbo. 5W30 is also supposed to have a better flow rate, getting to where it's needed faster than a 5W40 would. Ambient temperature aside, the engine itself has a normal operating temperature. I don't know what this is, and if the 5W30 or the 5W40 would be better suited.

I just need condfidence that if I went to Germany, 5W30 in the engine, I could cruise at 200km/h for say 50km, without destroying my engine.

Brgds
Vernonfr35

Last edited:
OK. At one time, I thought I was going to buy a BWM exactly like the one you have. A 98 328i.

SO, I did all the reading & research on this site.

First off, i would do TWO Auto RX treatments with Delo 400 15w-40 as the clean and rinse oils. BUT, I would do that during the summer months. This would clean the engine and do a MUCH better job than anything else at trying to fix the weeping gasket.

Secondly. As my actual "normal use" oil, I would run "German Castrol" which is commonly known as Castrol Syntec 0w-30, which is A3 spec, and meets BMW LL-98 and BMW LL-01.

Quote:
Questions :
- What is the upper limit in the ambient temperature for a 5W30 oil that is not necessarily LL04 approved?

I'm going to say 68F (20C) for the upper limit. That stems from all these viscosity (per temp) specifications that I'm always looking up for guys at the Amsoil site. Amsoil gets their figures directly from the car manufacturers so the specs are always spot on.

Originally Posted By: vernonfr35
Hello folks,

Questions :
- If I drive 200km, at 160km/h or if I drive 900km, towing a Caravan at 130km/h, do you think the 5W30 BMW LL04 is up to the task or should I be using a 5W40 BMW LL04, if I'm in French summer.

Brgds
Vernonfr35

Vernon

The LL-04 oil of any approved viscosity is all you need - once BMW started with the "LL" program in 1998 they removed all limits on temperature. All "LL-xx" oils are approved for all operating temperatures. BMW's cooling system can handle running at any point within the operating range of the engine - high load or low - without any issues. If the engine starts to get hot, the computer backs off the power and keeps it from overheating.

Originally Posted By: kgvickers
jaj:

Thanks for that info. I'm going to try the M1 High Mileage 10W30 and hope it stops the slight seepage from the oil pan gasket.

BTW, where can I find that "TIS" database for BMW?

Thanks,

Keith

BMW TIS is a CD that's usually available on ebay. Inexpensive and very helpful.

During the summer I use 5W40 in our '01 530i, but it's +100F here.
Right now she's running Maxlife 5W30.

Quote:
During the summer I use 5W40 in our '01 530i, but it's +100F here.

The only part of California that gets that hot that I know of is the central part.
grin2.gif

While I have you guys on the subject, can I ask what's up with "high mileage" oils? I've read the marketing blab on the labels and I scratch my head and think "why don't all oils have these 'upgrades'?".

I'm considering using the M1 High Mileage 10W-30 because it meets the ACEA A3 and I can get it in 5 quart bottles at Wallymart for ~$22.

Are there any disadvantages to the "high-mileage" stuff?

Thanks,

Keith

Quote:
Are there any disadvantages to the "high-mileage" stuff?

High mileage oils will cause you to suffer fuel mileage by .0001 MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back