10r80 atf

What’s the latest consensus on atf for the Ford 10r80? Planning on doing a 30k mile pan drop and filter change a bit late- probably around 45k instead. At this point I see no reason to go with anything besides motor craft ULV especially since even amsoil seems to be recommending the wrong fluid (although some people have good reports of it).

I tried the amsoil and I can’t believe ppl say “pretty good.” It absolutely changed the shift characteristics, and while it drove just fine, the shifts were “heavier” and “bulkier” with the thicker fluid. I’m really surprised amsoil even allowed their low vis formulation to be deemed acceptable in the 10r80. After a few months of that I used the valvoline ULV and am happy with it. 2 oz of lubeguard red in with the valvoline resolved *all* of the woes I was having with mine.

Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic M-V is listed as being suitable for Mercon ULV applications so that would be another option.
Not so sure I would do that. ULV is quite a bit thinner. Normally I'd be a proponent of a multi-use fluid, but these 10R80's seem to be very sensitive to fluid viscosity. I've got 5 qts of the Valvoline ULV sitting at home waiting for a spill and fill on mine. That low viscosity is part of the reason Ford wants the transmissions to come up to temperature as quickly as possible, there's a big difference from cold shifting to at temp shifting so all of them carry a fairly good-sized warmer/cooler heat exchanger.

It seems like the only two legit options are the actual Mercon stuff and the Valvoline, which is almost double the price but claims full synthetic.

This may be one case where thicker isn't better. With all the gymnastics that this transmission has to pull to get the clutches and brakes applied and released at the right time, you might not want to mess with throwing fluid viscosity into the mix.

Castrol Transmax
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C - 6.0

Valvoline ULV
KV100 (cSt) - 4.45

Ford Mercon ULV
cSt @100°C - 4.5

Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATF
6.3 cSt @ 100°C

PI Sheets:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/additionalinfo/Product Data Sheet MERCON ULV.pdf - FORD
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/09883f17-15d0-e911-9c2a-ac162d889bd1 - Valvoline
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...BED5975802586BE00489681/$File/bpxe-99lbrt.pdf - Castrol
https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/msds/atl.pdf - Amsoil

Last edited:
Valvoline makes a ULV. It might be a better price than Motorcraft

Lol, nope. Cheapest I found was $11/qt shipped, Mercon can be had for about $6.40/qt shipped.

Wish more places would start carrying the Valvoline. I suspect as more 10r80's get some miles on them that price will start coming down some.

Ford doesn't recommend a change until 150k on 'normal' service. Of course, we all know how well that works out in the end. I'll be doing a D&F every 10-15k on mine with a filter change at 60.

Now if someone would just come up with a sub $200 dipstick for it. The stupid little nubby thing right next to the exhaust...sucks.

Has anyone come out with a proper pan for the 10R80? I was looking at being stupid and buying a Tremor and there wasn't a decent pan with a drain plug, at least as of last month Mag Hytec was still in the prototype phase.

At least the Ford 10sp has a spot that is kind of easy to get to for refill. The GM 10sp doesn't from what I can tell.

FWIW. I just pulled a little over 3qts out of mine and replaced it with the Valvoline ULV. Everything working as it should, if not a little smoother.

Only from what I've seen online, the gasket is supposed to be reusable. I'm not sure I won't have a new on on standby when I do the aluminum pan. Hate to get that far into it and need it and not have it.

Lol. I never knew there was a company CALLED Klondike until today. Considering this, I, personally, would be leery of using it.

They do look to have Dexos Certifications on some of their oils, so they probably aren't some totally fly-by-night outfit.

I shot them off an email to see if they were planning on adding it to their Amazon store or somehow making it available in the US, judging by the prices on Amazon, it looks like if they do, it will be about as much as the Valvoline.

Last edited:
I’ve used the valvoline ULV in my 10r80 and it is good. I tried amsoils recommended fluid, an LV, and even only with 6 quarts swapped it was not a good match. Shifting was clunky, variable TC engagement was lost and it generally made it clumsy.

my 10r80 had ALL of the horror story complaints happening. Consistently bad shifts out of 3rd, and increasing occurrences of it giving up and going to neutral after notching the shifts in traffic and getting confused. I did several fluid changes after the dealer was no help, and found that a tiny splash (about 2oz) of lubeguard red was a radical, total, and life-altering fix, after getting the amsoil out and the ULV back in. It shifts as well if not better than our Lexus GS, which is a highly refined, quick, and well-sorted 8-speed. I would NOT use a full treatment of LG, but if I was doing a trans service would highly advise of adding just an ounce or two in.

Back