10K on semi-syn?

dbeau -
Why guess when you can know?
Take some UOAs. Start with your first OCI at 6k miles on the lube. If it looks good, then extend the OCI some reasonable amount and sample again. I think you'll find 10k miles is very doable.
So he bought cheap oil then he is going to spring for a UOA?!
I see absolutely NO cost benefit to that.
Sell that garbage and put some good oil in there.
Yes I hate Chevron.

So how many miles do you run in a month and what kind of driving ?
Highway high speed ?
or around town stop and go?
Around town & short trip = 4-5K MAX

2k+ miles a month mainly highway 7-9K miles.

I successfully extended the OCI on my wife's old Subaru Crosstrek FB engine to 9K+ miles
and had better UOA report than those doing the factory 6K when looking at the universal averages.
But I ran quality, affordable synthetic oil ( group III ). Castrol or Valvoline.
I had a "Million Mile" engine warranty, free from the dealer (legit contract in writing) so that was the primary driver for the two UOA i ad blackstone perform. That is my Hypocrisy defense :)
I performed.

Last edited:
Not saving money if I half my OCI but I will be if I follow The OLM. I have to imagine Honda programed it well. If you consider they programmed the OLM with dino oil in mind than I'm sure Semi-syn is up to the task.
A lot of people put blinders on when it comes to oil changes, UOAs, oil life monitors. They don't trust the monitors or change their oil every 3000 miles with full synthetic and still get the oil analyzed (to what end, seeing they need to change the oil more often ???).

Same with cutting oil filters open.... what if they find horrible internals after they've just used it for 3000, 5000, 7500 miles ? :oops:

So I've been running 10K OCI's on my 2008 civic for a while now using various Full Synthetics. I jumped on a great deal for a bunch of Chevron 5w-30 Semi-Syn, should last me a few years. Question is, is the Semi-Syn up to the task of a 10K OCI or should I step it down to whenever the OLM tells me to change it (usually about 6-7K)?

Anyone seen any UOA's on this stuff?

View attachment 63479

Thanks!
Find the middle ground, 7.5k oci's should be good.

Its been summed up pretty well. If the car is not a turbo run it out to the OLM or whenever you are ready to change the oil on the 5-7K range. Conventional for me was 5K.

I will usually also go by oil color as it gets close to oil change time. If the color is dark (inky black) on the dipstick, I will change it sooner than if the oil is still clear or just dark amber.

In the future, I would only jump on deals for synthetic so you don't need to worry about decisions like this. If you realized the OCIs would be 1/2 as long it more than doubles the price of the oil since you need to account for twice as much oil change labor. If you accounted for this in the beginning would have has still done the deal? Unless it was < ~$7/5qt jug it's not worth it. This is referenced to $15 everyday price for supertech full syn. and not including regularly available M1 and Pennzoil platinum for $10-$12 with rebate.

I'd say the Chevron Supreme is good for whatever is the recommended service interval for your usage.
I would not go beyond 7.5-8k in normal service -- Chevron Supreme is excellent oil but it is not full syn.

Your "step it down to OLM" statement below sounds like you have been going 3-4k beyond the OLM recommended interval. Is this because Honda does not spec full syn but you've been using full syn? Or maybe your usage and ambient temps are very mild? All of the above? Just wondering why someone would go so far beyond the manufacturer's recommendation, which usually defaults to the OLM.

So I've been running 10K OCI's on my 2008 civic for a while now using various Full Synthetics. I jumped on a great deal for a bunch of Chevron 5w-30 Semi-Syn, should last me a few years. Question is, is the Semi-Syn up to the task of a 10K OCI or should I step it down to whenever the OLM tells me to change it (usually about 6-7K)?

Thanks!

Just wondering why someone would go so far beyond the manufacturer's recommendation, which usually defaults to the OLM.
Some oil manufacturers, and many independent oil experts, tout one of the advantages of synthetic oils over conventional is longer oil change frequency. Many won't give a number though ('cause of lawyers). Elf says
Synthetic oil change frequency is lower than regular oil change frequency. Indeed, there are longer change intervals for synthetic oils: 7,500 to 10,000 miles between oil changes (compared to 3,000 for mineral oil).

Or Amsoil says
...while extended-drain AMSOIL synthetic oils generate less waste oil and packaging waste since motorists use less oil

Yes it's generally understood that synthetic oils can be run longer than non-synthetic, all else being equal. I was questioning how far the OP goes beyond the recommended service interval... 3-4k is too much IMO but what do I know. Maybe it will work fine in the long run, but I think it's a gamble. I go 2-2.5k beyond the recommended interval in my Tacoma -- it calls for 5k on conventional and I go 7-7.5k on full syn. But that's about as far as my comfort level allows, even with an oversize oil filter LOL.

View attachment 63479

Thanks!
As much as I've used in the past, and like CS 5W-30, why would anyone want to extend this oil to 10,000 miles? This isn't an extended drain oil.

Either test it as Mr. Wilson has pointed out, or do like most and accomplish OCI's every 3K to 5K miles.

Stick to shorter OCI's and it'll treat you well.

Last edited:
i don’t think chev supreme is really far behind any of the the warren copy pastes or pennzoil “full synthetic”. people run the former to 10k all the time

My fiancé's son uses the OLM in his 2014 F150 with the 5.0 using Motorcraft 5W-20 blend and it tells him to change it between 9-10K. He has 215,000 miles on the truck and it runs great and uses no oil. He did have to have the timing components replaced at about 190,000 miles but other than that, the engine has been flawless and it runs quiet.

I wouldn't hesitate to follow the OLM on yours using Chevron blend. It's a quality oil.

Back