100k miles original ATF, replace all at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
The instruction step 3 as posted sound like they are for something with RWD or uses a front mounted e-brake caliper combo.
Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

Late model Hondas will beep at you if you try to drive with the parking brake on. I don't think it does anything to prevent damage, it just beeps like crazy to remind you.

At ~25K on a 3.0L Accord, did what Vikas and Ken2 suggested, with a single D/F. Same as I've always done with previous Hondas. Planning another at 45-50k, this time using MaxLife. Might think about replacing the filter this time though, not looking forward to that task. fwiw, it took right at 3 qts.

I wonder if every Honda dealer tech follows the listed OM procedure, even with a lift? Kinda doubt it.

Is anybody concerned that the fluid might clean off build up and start to clog the filter?

Instead of drain and refill 3X, it may be no more trouble to use the cooler line method. Plus, the cooler line method is more economical with respect to how much fluid is spent.

You could do the cooler line method right where the filter is. All it would take is a hose fitting and a length of tubing. The replacing the filter is a breeze, it is basically like one of those canister filters. I wish I knew what to use to pinch those clamps - it the biggest pain in the whole procedure. Don't they make hose clamp pliers? I used a vise grip, but it kept slipping.

Just drain, refill and drive, repeat as many times are you want and put a new crush washer and filter in at the end. My 07 the transmission fluid replacement code showed up around 75000 miles. It's possible that if the 04 has the same oil monitoring system (with letters and numbers) they might have already done at least one drain and refill.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
You could do the cooler line method right where the filter is. All it would take is a hose fitting and a length of tubing. The replacing the filter is a breeze, it is basically like one of those canister filters. I wish I knew what to use to pinch those clamps - it the biggest pain in the whole procedure. Don't they make hose clamp pliers? I used a vise grip, but it kept slipping.

Just drain, refill and drive, repeat as many times are you want and put a new crush washer and filter in at the end. My 07 the transmission fluid replacement code showed up around 75000 miles. It's possible that if the 04 has the same oil monitoring system (with letters and numbers) they might have already done at least one drain and refill.

These are 16" long nose needles pliers, most mechanics use one of these as clamp plier.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
I wish I knew what to use to pinch those clamps - it the biggest pain in the whole procedure. Don't they make hose clamp pliers? I used a vise grip, but it kept slipping.

I found this in a another form. It was talking about an oil cooler, but maybe it the same type of clamp.
+++++++++++++++++++++ start ++++++++++++++++++++++++
if you have the new style spring loaded push lock type fittings on your oil coller then you need the AeroQuip tool to get them off , it can be done without it but is pretty hard and you can mess it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back