100K miles Amsoil ATF should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flushed out the Amsoil atf that was in my trans and changed to fresh Amsoil atf in Feb 2006. I realized time and miles were pretty high recently. I was going to go 80 or 85,000 miles, but I'm now thinking maybe I should go 100K and do a UOA?

No towing me alone driving. Probably 75% highway driving during that period. I'm putting 1720 a month right now. I drive 99.5% highway right now. It would take me another 11 months to reach the 100k mark.

I know it's easy to tell somebody else to run it out. I installed Amsoil in an older Dodge mini van throwing it in a rebuilt trans with 0 miles and ran it to 85K miles. I was so impressed with how good the pan/filter/magnifine looked inside that I thought I should have run it longer.......

Thoughts....careless opinions.... let em rip...........
grin2.gif

Amsoil seem to have changed their recommendations on their Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF:

SERVICE LIFE
Normal Service: Follow the vehicle manufacturer's normal-service drain interval.

Severe Service: Double the vehicle manufacturer's severe-service drain interval.

Change at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended drain interval outside U.S. and Canada.

Seems reasonable from what I have read. My Taurus manual says to change Trans fluid at 150,000. Not going to do that but food for thought...

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I flushed out the Amsoil atf that was in my trans and changed to fresh Amsoil atf in Feb 2006. I realized time and miles were pretty high recently. I was going to go 80 or 85,000 miles, but I'm now thinking maybe I should go 100K and do a UOA?

No towing me alone driving. Probably 75% highway driving during that period. I'm putting 1720 a month right now. I drive 99.5% highway right now. It would take me another 11 months to reach the 100k mark.

I know it's easy to tell somebody else to run it out. I installed Amsoil in an older Dodge mini van throwing it in a rebuilt trans with 0 miles and ran it to 85K miles. I was so impressed with how good the pan/filter/magnifine looked inside that I thought I should have run it longer.......

Thoughts....careless opinions.... let em rip...........
grin2.gif

I would do a UOA before I tried to go to 100K. Amsoil is great ATF, possibly the best out there. But a lot more things put you into the severe category than you think.

My Magnefine always comes out very clean.

I think I'll do a blotter test. I'm thinkin on it......

I don't remember what the change interval is. But I know it's not anywhere near what I'm trying. Also I'm running a fine quality full syn fluid.

I did notice Amsoil having a change on drain intervals.

I'll check things out again.

Sounds like you already have history using this fluid for the kind of mileage you have now on your trans. IMO, unless the fluid is shot now, 15k miles isn't going to make or break, and highway use is as benign as it gets unless you're really a mountain driver.

The test with cabs in Vegas used that ATF and they went 100k; that's with mostly city driving. With your 95% highway I'd say you are good to go.

But to err on the side of safety, take a sample at 85k, leave the fluid in while waiting for your results.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
The test with cabs in Vegas used that ATF and they went 100k; that's with mostly city driving. With your 95% highway I'd say you are good to go.

Making it even more strange that they stopped suggesting a 100,000 mile change interval at the same time they posted up the Vegas test results.

Originally Posted By: S65AMG
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Making it even more strange that they stopped suggesting a 100,000 mile change interval at the same time they posted up the Vegas test results.

Well sure, you can read it however and we can only speculate on the what/why/real reason. But it WAS only a test. (insert argument on wear of transmission here)

But since OP has gone 85k with Amsoil ATF before and has confidence at that level, taking a UOA (UATFA?) at that mileage to see how the fluid is doing probably won't hurt anything.

Also, in an AT it is the shifting that causes wear and heat. With OP going 95% highway miles that is putting very little stress on the trans and trans fluid.

Last edited:
You've saved good money so far on extending your OCI. Why not utilize the knowledge and the fluid available? Get a UOA anywhere from now out to 100k.

Your service factor is about as easy on equipment as it gets. If I had to lay a wager, I'd suspect everything is fine. And, if I understand correctly, the previous fill was also Amsoil, so there should be no residual competitive chemistry. Good or bad, this UOA will show you the real story.

I just did a blotter test drop. I'll see how it looks. That will sway me on which way I might go.....

The fluid looked pretty red when I placed it on the card. Yes the Vegas test is impressive.

Just so know....I ran Amsoil in my Ford C-6 for a long time, it turned clear from red and the transmission still shifts great. Over 350K on the truck and transmission. Switched out to Napa ATF a few years back....don't ask why! If I was going to do it again, I would run Amsoil with a Magnafine filter and never change the ATF. The filter is just a metal screen in the pan.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Just so know....I ran Amsoil in my Ford C-6 for a long time, it turned clear from red and the transmission still shifts great. Over 350K on the truck and transmission. Switched out to Napa ATF a few years back....don't ask why! If I was going to do it again, I would run Amsoil with a Magnafine filter and never change the ATF. The filter is just a metal screen in the pan.

I agree. But in a well oiled transmission there does not seem a lot for the Magnefine to catch. Except some metallic paste around the magnet. Little in the media section.

How many miles on the Amsoil 350K?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
How many miles on the Amsoil 350K?

No, I changed it a couple of times....once when I serviced it and once when I put the cooler on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back