10000 miles/1 year on this M1 EP oil filter

I didn't think I was being sarcastic. Just wanted to hear if people think these filters were good for 20,000 miles like Mobil 1 claims. I replaced with a much durable looking Fram Ultra.
I made that guess about you being sarcastic after reading what you said here in post #7:

" ... I would have never taken a filter out to put back in. Too much work for a dirty filter."

But now I get it. If THIS ONE - the M1 - looks good then the more durable looking Ultra should go 20K
and you wont have to touch it .... or inspect it.

I still am curious how many engine hours - this being a Hybrid - over your 10K mile run

I didn't think I was being sarcastic. Just wanted to hear if people think these filters were good for 20,000 miles like Mobil 1 claims. I replaced with a much durable looking Fram Ultra.
yes they should normally be good for 20k
If your engine is in good working condition.
I dunno why people are screwing with you like they are in this thread. Maybe they are showing off for each other lol.
I usually use my cartridge filters for 2 ocis and take it out and inspect it and put it back in. I dunno what kinda cartridge filter can’t handle being taken out and put back in. I’ve used motor craft, fram, Mann, super tech and off brand cartridges . Np ever!
Your M1 cartridge was fine and could have been put back in.

I dunno why people are screwing with you like they are in this thread. Maybe they are showing off for each other lol.
I am not sure if you were addressing me.

On the OP first post he said " ...good for another 10,00miles or time to throw it out"

then many respondents were concerned and said to ' ... replace the filter'

The the OP stated "... I would have never taken a filter out to put back in. Too much work for a dirty filter."

I replied to @demarpaint suggesting that maybe the OP was being sarcastic since he had no intention of reusing the filter.

Then, since the filter looked quite good, I asked a VERY VALID question as to how many engine hours was the filter in service for since this is a HYBRID.

I never got a response on that one.

Now @Soobs otoh ...

I am not sure if you were addressing me.

On the OP first post he said " ...good for another 10,00miles or time to throw it out"

then many respondents were concerned and said to ' ... replace the filter'

The the OP stated "... I would have never taken a filter out to put back in. Too much work for a dirty filter."

I replied to @demarpaint suggesting that maybe the OP was being sarcastic since he had no intention of reusing the filter.

Then, since the filter looked quite good, I asked a VERY VALID question as to how many engine hours was the filter in service for since this is a HYBRID.

I never got a response on that one.

Now @Soobs otoh ...
I wasn’t addressing any one person really. Just seemed like the op was taken back a bit.

yes they should normally be good for 20k
If your engine is in good working condition.
I usually use my cartridge filters for 2 ocis and take it out and inspect it and put it back in. I dunno what kinda cartridge filter can’t handle being taken out and put back in. I’ve used motor craft, fram, Mann, super tech and off brand cartridges . Np ever!
Your M1 cartridge was fine and could have been put back in.
Do you think the cartridge filter manufacturer is going to help you out if you have an engine failure because the filter had an issue and they find out you’ve removed and reinstalled it? Or have you read their fine print and found they only cover it for a single install? Serious question since this is somebody else’s engine you’re playing with…

Do you think the cartridge filter manufacturer is going to help you out if you have an engine failure because the filter had an issue and they find out you’ve removed and reinstalled it? Or have you read their fine print and found they only cover it for a single install? Serious question since this is somebody else’s engine you’re playing with…
I do it often on my own cars and have done so for years.
Why?Because I, as can anybody with an IQ, can inspect and assess the condition of a filter.
I hope a “cartridge filter manufacturer” doesn’t pull out their crystal ball and see me reinstall one! No wait, never mind it ain’t gonna fall apart and destroy my engine anyway lol.
When the ultra cartridges end caps were falling off back some years ago I m sure nobody that saw it put it back in.

I do it often on my own cars and have done so for years.
Why?Because I, as can anybody with an IQ, can inspect and assess the condition of a filter.
I hope a “cartridge filter manufacturer” doesn’t pull out their crystal ball and see me reinstall one! No wait, never mind it ain’t gonna fall apart and destroy my engine anyway lol.
When the ultra cartridges end caps were falling off back some years ago I m sure nobody that saw it put it back in.
You avoided the only question that mattered. Never mind.

Or have you read their fine print and found they only cover it for a single install?
I've never seen that in any filter warranty statement. But they all pretty much say the filter and any damage to an engine is only covered if you only use the filter per the vehicle manufacturer's recommended service schedule. So technically. a filter used 1 miles over what the vehicle manufacture recommends would void the warranty from the filter maker.

I've never seen that in any filter warranty statement. But they all pretty much say the filter and any damage to an engine is only covered if you only use the filter per the vehicle manufacturer's recommended service schedule. So technically. a filter used 1 miles over what the vehicle manufacture recommends would void the warranty from the filter maker.
Understand I am just relaying info here… Dawn answered my Fram chat.

Chris 12:39 PM
I have a question about the XG11955 filter
Dawn 12:39 PM
How can I help
Chris 12:41 PM
i change the oil at 10,000 miles, but I like to look at the filter and see if there is any particulate in it or damage to the filter. Is it ok to then reinstall the used cartridge as long as I don’t exceed the 20,000 mile rating of the filter?
Dawn 12:41 PM
no, you must always change the filter when changing the oil
Chris 12:42 PM
what if I just drained the sump at 10,000 miles and did not disturb the filter, it is ok to use for the listed mileage?
Dawn 12:42 PM
You must always change filter when changing oil
Chris 12:43 PM
so if I changed the oil at 10k miles and did not change the filter, would Fram still warranty the filter if there was an issue after that?
Chris 12:43 PM
I’m asking because it seems wasteful to change a filter early if it is rated for a certain number of miles
Dawn 12:46 PM
Just because our filter state that it can go up to 20,000 miles do not mean your vehicle can go that long. You must always go by OEM regulations. Yes, EVERY oil change needs a new filter
Chris 12:46 PM
So in my case I would be better served by using the tough guard line of filters?
since it’s limits are more in line with the mileage traveled between oil changes?
Dawn 12:47 PM
yes

Notice she omitted answering the warranty question but maintained that it should be changed every time.

• Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.

• If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.

Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner’s manual.

Personally I’d put it back on. Looks serviceable still. Nice picture 👍🇺🇸🍻
See that post ... 10,000 miles he says! Wonder how many vehicles go 10,000 miles and have a filter look that clean?

Gosh, that filter looks fantastic. That vehicle is NOT hard on oil, that's for sure.

It could probably go another round, but I wouldn't tell anyone to do so -- especially here! (y)✌️🍻

Last edited:
Understand I am just relaying info here… Dawn answered my Fram chat.

Notice she omitted answering the warranty question but maintained that it should be changed every time.
You should have asked her what to do in the case of Hondas recommendation which is to use the filter for 2 ocis.

• Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.

• If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.

Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner’s manual.
So… unless it’s a Euro vehicle, Fram will not cover any Ultra that runs to 20k, only the few vehicles/engines that have oil sensors and 20k OCIs. Regardless of the oil used. That’s what I read, and that’s what the help line confirmed.

If you run a Fram Ultra to say 15k and your factory OCI is 7500 and a filter failure lunches your engine with 20k on the ODO, you’re on your own…

So… unless it’s a Euro vehicle, Fram will not cover any Ultra that runs to 20k, only the few vehicles/engines that have oil sensors and 20k OCIs. Regardless of the oil used. That’s what I read, and that’s what the help line confirmed.

If you run a Fram Ultra to say 15k and your factory OCI is 7500 and a filter failure lunches your engine with 20k on the ODO, you’re on your own…
Probably right... darned legalese. 🍻

On my beloved old Silverado with a Gen III 5.3L, I still won't change my latest old Ultra until it has at least 10,000 miles on it. That's at the end of two OCI's in that truck (maybe three).

Last edited:
Kinda covered that with the 10k OCI/20k FCI.. maybe you could chat with them and ask and report back 👍🏻
Not at all . They say follow the manufacturers recommendation then the extremely knowledgeable tech support girl said you have to change the filter every time the oil is changed.
Nah, I prefer to let folks like you chat with oil filter tech support agents over trivial matters and post about it.
Its fun and I like laughing.

Not at all . They say follow the manufacturers recommendation then the extremely knowledgeable tech support girl said you have to change the filter every time the oil is changed.
Nah, I prefer to let folks like you chat with oil filter tech support agents over trivial matters and post about it.
Its fun and I like laughing.
I laugh at guys like you who are so intelligent in your own mind, but never contribute anything of real worth to the board, just useless opinion with nothing to back it up with.

I chatted to show they won’t back up anything they claim in their advertising, and it did that.

Back