10 Reasons Why Volkswagen Can't Succeed In America

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW is in an awkward position in the US market.
It has higher costs than Honda or Toyota, so it needs to sell its products for more money and can only do this by positioning itself as a premium brand.
Not too many buyers seem to regard VW as a premium brand and a long-running reputation for poor reliability relative to the Japanese brands doesn't help.
VW is also reputed to have a horrible dealer infrastructure.
All of this can be fixed, but it will take some serious attention from senior management.
There was a time when VW was the largest selling import brand in this country, but that was a long time ago.
With the right management and attention, VW could be a much larger player in this market that it has been for the past forty years.
They either need to get serious or get out.

I hope they succeed here in the US. They may not have the most reliable cars, although that has improved...they do have good driving dynamics when compared to some of their competition. I for one, find the styling to be attractive in a simplistic way.

There are a lot of swells hereabouts who want to be seen in a German car and don't understand that a VW isn't a BMW. They talk about "German quality" and "European handling" and wouldn't recognize either. Currently, in my opinion, they don't MAKE an engine as good as the Camry V6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I guess VW lost you when you failed to notice the air cooled 2 liter Type IV...

Indeed. Essentially the same engine in our '71 1.7L 411. Pumped out a thumping 80 horsepower.

Precursor to VW's highly successful Phaeton?

VW-411.jpg

The only reason what VW can't succeed.

zee German management are too stubborn to let VW GRoup America succeed. Zee German management know the US customer needs better than VW Group America

zee German management are fine keeping Audi competitive in the US. Audi gets a more complete lineup than VW.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

zee German management are too stubborn to let VW GRoup America succeed. Zee German management know the US customer needs better than VW Group America

zee German management are fine keeping Audi competitive in the US. Audi gets a more complete lineup than VW.

That's a good one, you do realize that most of the critical
management (manglement) at the VWoA HQ in Herdon, VA is comprised of US citizens. Yes, that is right, and they make many of the critical decisions that impact our market. If anything it would be better if they just let the Germans control the distributor, like BMW, and Mercedes do.

Originally Posted By: marine65
I have owned 2 Volkswagen's and they were junk.Never again.

I also had a few Chrysler products. Never again will I own one of those turds.
I now have a Nissan and a Hyundai and they just keep running with no issues.

Plus one. Had a 96 GTI. Never again. Had a 78 Plymouth Horizon. Never again. Had a slew of Datsun cars in high school. No problems. Had two Mazdas in my 20s/30s - two problems never again. Got a Nissan Titan 9 years ago as new and never a problem. Had good luck with Honda for decades until recently with our 2010 Civic brakes. Want a Hyundai next but my Japanese wife can't be seen in a Korean car unfortunately (and she denies this but it IS true).

Originally Posted By: Olas
You guys should try European cars instead of Mexican cars - they're leagues ahead.

Our "European" cars are hencho en Mexico.

VW needs to make niche cars that are different. The MK5 Jetta is what VW needs to shoot for in the American market - it was upscale for it's segment with unique driving dynamics. They turned the MK6 into a German Corolla with an 8 valve engine, drum brakes and a torsion beam rear suspension. It was pretty much a modern day 1987 Plymouth Sundance!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You guys should try European cars instead of Mexican cars - they're leagues ahead.

Our "European" cars are hencho en Mexico.

VW needs to make niche cars that are different. The MK5 Jetta is what VW needs to shoot for in the American market - it was upscale for it's segment with unique driving dynamics. They turned the MK6 into a German Corolla with an 8 valve engine, drum brakes and a torsion beam rear suspension. It was pretty much a modern day 1987 Plymouth Sundance!

You misunderstood.

Buy a car made in Europe, and compare it to a car made in Mexico.
Then, ask yourself if the Manufacturer, or the guy on the production line is esponsible.

You misunderstood.

Buy a car made in Europe, and compare it to a car made in Mexico.
Then, ask yourself if the Manufacturer, or the guy on the production line is esponsible.

The quality appears to be more on the engineering and choice in materials side than the assembly side. VW cheapened the most recent Jetta for the American market, and it doesn't matter where it is assembled the quality of the materials and the decontenting is obvious even to someone who isn't car savvy.

Yes, that seems to be a big part of the issue. It's not like Canada and the U.S. get the exact same car, all the time, as they do in Europe, except made in Mexico versus made in Germany. One can point at workmanship all one wants, and while that does matter, it's hard to compare when to models aren't even close enough to properly compare.

Which makes me wonder, how much more are Audi's compared to VW's?

I was looking at 2015 A3's a few weeks ago that were around $32500. Not bad considering the equivalent Lexus is pushing 50k for basically an AWD Toyota.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Which makes me wonder, how much more are Audi's compared to VW's?

I was looking at 2015 A3's a few weeks ago that were around $32500. Not bad considering the equivalent Lexus is pushing 50k for basically an AWD Toyota.

One example is the VW CC starts at $34k. The new 2017 A4 starts at $37. Gotta be crazy to take the CC.

I used to do body work in the early 1980s while attending college, and we would go pick up cars at the VW dealer that needed a little touch up work. They arrived in pretty decent condition, but still things would get missed at QC. Still better than my beloved GM at that time period, though. But anyways, the Scirocco had big power for a 4 cylinder and was a really fun car to drive. I think the car was a 1981 or 2. I used to always volunteer to go get cars LOL.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There are a lot of swells hereabouts who want to be seen in a German car and don't understand that a VW isn't a BMW. They talk about "German quality" and "European handling" and wouldn't recognize either. Currently, in my opinion, they don't MAKE an engine as good as the Camry V6.

I still think the VW/Audi 2.0T was one of the great engines over the last decade. And it is still on the CC. It had passing power (50-70) that the Camry V6 couldn't keep up with.

It had minor reliability issues related to the cam follower but that is a relative cheap fix that an owner can control: either frequent oil changes with a high quality oil or cam follower replacements every 50K miles, a 20 minute job.

The Toyota 2GR-FE, however, has fairly common blown head gaskets problems about 80k miles. Nothing an owner can do except roll the dice. Our Sienna crooked at 129,000 miles. Mechanic told us to trade it in because it wasn't worth the repair costs.

As long as people continue to buy Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Ducatti, it's fair to say that VW is succeeding in America.

I had to repeatedly threaten VW with legal action over breach of their warranty re: my 1986 Jetta GLI.

No amount of fun driving can make up for that kind of character building experience.

They obviously have no clue how to fix the clunkers they have already defrauded hapless people into buying, or they would have announced a plan to do so.

Good riddance.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
One example is the VW CC starts at $34k. The new 2017 A4 starts at $37. Gotta be crazy to take the CC.

But you need to compare apples to apples. That $34K CC includes some features that you would have to pay extra for on the A4, for example: navigation. That alone will cost you an extra $3K.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

But you need to compare apples to apples. That $34K CC includes some features that you would have to pay extra for on the A4, for example: navigation. That alone will cost you an extra $3K.

I am comparing apples to apples in that we are talking about base models with two comparably sized sedans. I realize that there will not be overlap in some features but that is going to go both ways. For example, the A4 has a 250HP engine, the CC an older generation 200HP.

My main point is that the price gap between these two VAG products are insufficient to justify the VW brand product. I'll take the Audi even minus the navigation system without thinking twice. Make the CC $24-$28K and then I'll consider it over the Audi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back