Happy 40th Birthday Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I can honestly say that if they made a late 80s or early 90s Accord DX or a Civic and sold them new today I would be first in line to buy one!

Didn't I read here that there are companies now applying for licensing to re-make older cars? They got around the safety equipment legislation somehow. If a 1991 Prelude SI AWS were to be made brand new, I would buy it immediately. Or a 1993 Accord manual.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I can honestly say that if they made a late 80s or early 90s Accord DX or a Civic and sold them new today I would be first in line to buy one!

Didn't I read here that there are companies now applying for licensing to re-make older cars? They got around the safety equipment legislation somehow. If a 1991 Prelude SI AWS were to be made brand new, I would buy it immediately. Or a 1993 Accord manual.

Yes, that was what I was thinking about, the way they avoid the safety and emissions laws is to make the products kit cars, the body will be assembled fully and all other components are installed at the same time EXCEPT the engine. The kit cars are then shipped to another point where the engine can be installed. The laws regarding a kit car are much less stringent and in theory they could build new units of older vehicles, now of course Honda, Ford, and other major manufacturers won't want their name on them, and they won't be, instead it will be branded something else and my guess also is that the buyers would be signing waivers that prevent the manufacturers from being sued if a person dies in these cars during an accident.

I don't care one bit. If I could buy a new MKI Golf GTI, or 1986-1993 Honda Accord or Civic, and the quality was as good as the original I would gladly waive rights to sue whomever produces them...
One of the side benefits of buy such a product would be a lower cost of purchase, lower maintenance costs and less to go wrong.

I recently test drove one and liked it a lot. Much better than I anticipated. This was a base model LX automatic for $19k which is about 5k off sticker. Took it on a nice loop of city and highway driving. I didn't like the dealership too much, very high pressure and kept you waiting forever. Only dealer that didn't pull the car up to the door of the showroom on a very hot day. The car was parked on the complete opposite side of the property then it was behind two other cars that had to be moved. The Kia dealership was the best experience followed by Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back