5 Yrs and 75K in Gen 8 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the 2017 Accord has very bad seats. I had a rental for 2 weeks and couldn't drive the car for more than 45 minutes before my back was hurting.

I was thinking you might weigh in, since we bought the same car at the same time.
I find the seats to be comfortable chairs on long drives, but I've heard complaints from others about Honda seats.
The interior is pretty low-rent as compared to the Gen 5 and 6 Accords that we've owned.
Either of these offered better ride and handling although both are also noisier than the Gen 8, and the Gen 7 is as well while offering a nicer interior than the Gen 8 as well as better handling.
The Gen 5 even offers a softer ride to go along with its more playful handling.
The Gen 8 neither rides nor handles all that well.
When I refer to it as a Buick among Accords, what I mean is that it does everything pretty well but has none of the surprise and delight that made earlier Accords special.
It is a supreme fuel efficient highway cruiser, but it offers little more to entice any owner.
I guess that while we're happy with the car, we would have been happier had it been better in every way than the Gen 7 that it replaced, like every earlier generation.
It isn't.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I was thinking you might weigh in, since we bought the same car at the same time.
I find the seats to be comfortable chairs on long drives, but I've heard complaints from others about Honda seats.
The interior is pretty low-rent as compared to the Gen 5 and 6 Accords that we've owned.
Either of these offered better ride and handling although both are also noisier than the Gen 8, and the Gen 7 is as well while offering a nicer interior than the Gen 8 as well as better handling.
The Gen 5 even offers a softer ride to go along with its more playful handling.
The Gen 8 neither rides nor handles all that well.
When I refer to it as a Buick among Accords, what I mean is that it does everything pretty well but has none of the surprise and delight that made earlier Accords special.
It is a supreme fuel efficient highway cruiser, but it offers little more to entice any owner.
I guess that while we're happy with the car, we would have been happier had it been better in every way than the Gen 7 that it replaced, like every earlier generation.
It isn't.

Couple of things that I forgot to add:

1. Agree with the low rent interior. The driver side of the car (which obviously got most of the use) IMO, has not held up well. It is showing more wear than my previous Ford did with 12 years and 275K worth of wear. The problem with the seats for me is that there is no discernible lumbar support. Kind of a big deal for someone like me with relatively serious back issues. The arm rest has absolutely no padding at all. Seventy five cents worth of foam padding would have made a world of difference.

2. One of the biggest strengths of the car is gas mileage. I get 32-33 in mixed driving, with my best highway mileage being 37.1 MPG on a trip to Rehoboth Beach, DE. I like the larger gas tank, as well. During my commuting years, I went to 2.5 trips with the Ford to 7 or 8 with the Accord. I can go a month on a tank with this car.

The interior of ours remains near new. What I find low-rent is that there is an excess of hard plastic colored a generic black, not even color-matched to the interior, unlike previous generations.
Fuel economy is good and fuel capacity is ample. You don't need to think about a fuel stop until well past 500 miles on the trip odo and you can do 600+ under the right conditions. You must drive slower than I do, since the best I've seen is 34 and change mpg, which is still not bad for what is a large car under EPA's interior volume rating criteria.
This car does have its strengths as well as its weaknesses.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Those cars were at a very nice price point for what drivers got out of them.

This I have to agree with, but new Accords were always a pretty good value for what you got.
As much as I may nit-pick this car, I think anyone would have been hard-pressed to find a car with all of the positive attributes of a Gen 8 Accord for anything close to the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back