Happy 40th Birthday Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
GHS6199-768x513.jpg

Quote:
The Honda Accord has been around since June of 1976, when a gallon of gas cost 59 cents, and as threats of another oil crisis hovered on everyone’s lips, the then-fuel-efficient three-door hatchback jump-started one of the greatest automotive success stories in history. No one thought the little Japanese compact would stick around, and rather thought that once fear of the oil crisis dissipated from thought Americans would go back to driving full-sized automobiles once more.

But while oil prices remained low, America’s love affair with the Accord endured, and over the course of the next four decades and nine generations, Honda has sold more than 12.7 million units. This meant opening a number of U.S. plants in order to slake our insatiable thirst for the vehicle, which to this day is still consistently in America’s top-10 best sellers. For as pedestrian as it may appear, the Accord has proven time and time again to be a segment-defining product, and is famous for being a cornerstone for automotive reliability, durability, and fuel efficiency many times over.

Quote:
Listed on Car and Driver’s list of “10Best” a record 30 times, a feat Honda says remains “unmatched by any other automobile of any type,” the Accord owes its success almost entirely to baby boomers.

the Accord to retain its title as the top-selling midsize sedan for buyers under 35 for five of the past six years.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/honda-accord-40-everyone-party.html/?ref=YF&yptr=yahoo

Looking at the first Accord styling and features it was very hard to believe that Honda can survive US market, and keep improving the Accord to be 1 of the best selling family sedan for more than 20 years.

Between Accord and Camry C&D like Accord more but CR likes Camry more.

I think C&D never had Camry in the 10Best and CR had been pick Camry as the best family sedan for many years.

Last edited:
My oldest brothers' first wife's first car was a similar looking Accord.

It was always breaking down
frown.gif

happy birthday Accord!

Happy Birthday Honda.....now STOP driving your Hondas due to Takata airbags killing drivers....

OK, 40 years is enough. Go back to Japan, bring back the Woolco stores in Texas, cigarette ads on TV and all the NOx my car can be tuned to make. After all, it is the Fourth of July.

Honda is keeping 4 years life cycle for Accord and Civic. The current Accord was start as 2013 model so 2017 is the model year Accord will be a new design.

Honda is usually very quiet about new Accord, the only time it get caught was in testing at Death Valley in summer before introduction in Fall.

That car looks great. Perfect proportions for a coupe.

I know if I got near one it would be smaller than a Fit, though.

I remember when I started driving in the early 1990's, my best friends brother had a mid-1980's Honda Accord, and he got it b/c one of his friends families had one, and they abused it horribly, and it just never gave them any problems at all.

I still think the 1984-1989 Accords are the best-looking and most reliable ones Honda ever made...you just could not kill those Honda 1.8L engines.

Amazing how they kept the same name for 40 years. How many models has Chevy had to compete with the Accord over that period? Monza, Citation, Celebrity,Lumina, Corsica, Beretta, Malibu. Probably some l missed.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda is keeping 4 years life cycle for Accord and Civic. The current Accord was start as 2013 model so 2017 is the model year Accord will be a new design.

Honda is usually very quiet about new Accord, the only time it get caught was in testing at Death Valley in summer before introduction in Fall.
Researching online shows that the 2018 will be the redesign year

I really like this model of Accord. I don't really like the looks of the Camry.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I remember when I started driving in the early 1990's, my best friends brother had a mid-1980's Honda Accord, and he got it b/c one of his friends families had one, and they abused it horribly, and it just never gave them any problems at all.

I still think the 1984-1989 Accords are the best-looking and most reliable ones Honda ever made...you just could not kill those Honda 1.8L engines.

What you say is true, I would include the early 90s models as well for being some of the most durable, and reliable cars ever produced. I would say the best Accords in durability and reliability were 1987-1997. I used to work at Honda stores back then and indeed very few issues or problems at all. The most fun to drive were the 90-93, followed by the 1986-1989. I actually owned a 1986, a very advanced car for the time, and attention to detail and quality of assembly and parts were on par or better than what we get today.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I think you mean 1986-1989 Honda Accord with pop-up headlight ?

I had 1986 Accord LX-i the first Honda engine with Fuel injector.

Back then east of Mississippi had Accord made in Ohio, west of Mississippi had Accord made in Japan. Overall there wasn't significant difference in reliability of the two after 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Funny you mention 1986 Accord LXi, my sister traded her 280ZX for that car.
Hatchback with 5 speed transmission, dealer installed Fittipaldi wheels / low profile tires and nice Honda back then, very sporty car.

Today's Accord is very bland, like a turdmobile on 4 wheels.

I had 1986 Accord LX-i the first Honda engine with Fuel injector.

Back then east of Mississippi had Accord made in Ohio, west of Mississippi had Accord made in Japan. Overall there wasn't significant difference in reliability of the two after 5-10 years.

Actually the first Accord with PGM electronic fuel injection was the prior model
1985 Honda Accord SEi...I was at the dealer when we received our first one.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Amazing how they kept the same name for 40 years. How many models has Chevy had to compete with the Accord over that period? Monza, Citation, Celebrity,Lumina, Corsica, Beretta, Malibu. Probably some l missed.

There are few cars(not SUV or truck) will not change name: Accord, Civic, Camry and Corolla. They are so popular only the craziest CEO would change a name that everybody knows what it is.

When someone say "Accord" everybody know what that person talk about. He/she doesn't need to say Honda Accord.

One thing I don't know is why Honda/Acura change the name of Legend to something like RL, and Integra to something. Acura Legend was popular in 90's and RL or something else is very much unknown.

One thing I don't know is why Honda/Acura change the name of Legend to something like RL, and Integra to something. Acura Legend was popular in 90's and RL or something else is very much unknown.

After their initial success they have struggled with their identity. That was a really stupid decision as was dropping the Integra.

GHS6199-768x513.jpg

I remember my grandmother had an 81 Accord almost exactly like that one, except it was a pale yellow/cream color. She eventually sold/gave it told my oldest cousin and he kept it for a few years and sold it. My grandmother bought a 1992 Accord as a replacement. She can't drive anymore, but that Accord still sits in her garage with only about 56k miles, in mint condition. It's identical to the one I have, which is pictured below. Mine is in excellent shape too, but has 185k miles and isn't quite in as good shape up close.

This is dumb, and maybe to follow Cadillac that changed from Fleetwood and Seville to SRX and other 3-letter combos. I get trying to be "exclusive" with alphanumeric codes, like the Europeans, but if I don't care enough to find out, it all backfires.

Bought a new accord in 2000. I ditched it a year later. It was really boring. I guess I bought it for the wrong reasons. But the poor fit and finish and incompetent dealer network didn't help either.

I do like the looks of the current accord though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back