1.8T oil (tried search, very confused...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by CB2:
Ok, so I'm trying to decide on a new oil for my 2001.5 170 hp chipped VW 1.8T. Oil analysis with Valvoline SynPower 5W40 showed insolubles just a bit too high.

Before you go switching brands of oil, try switching oil filters, as that will have a bigger effect on the level of insolubles than switching oils likely will.

Patman, if he's using OEM filters (Bosch, Mann&Hummel, or Mahle), the he's got a filter as good as they come.

I wouldn't use the 0W-40 in a turbo motor.
wink.gif

Why no Mobil 1 0w40 in a turbo engine? I have a 2001 Audi with the 1.8T engine and have used this oil for the past 20k miles changing every 5k miles and the engine is clean as a whistle. What are your thoughts?
dunno.gif

A new filter may work out. I will post the analysis in the UOA section in a moment. The filter was a PureOne as recommended for the application. Current filter is a purolator as PureOne not available when bought.

I've been considering going with an oversized filter, either a Wix 51333/Napa Gold 1333 or a Mann A6000-26839 to increase the oil capacity (currently 3.9 qts - too small in my opinion for such a hard working engine). These two filters are from a 1983-87 Volvo 760 GLE 2.4L turbo diesel. I've heard people using thim on other boards, so I believe it will fit fine. Any thoughts on a switch to this filter?

VW calls for a 5W-40 oil that meets ACEA A3. Mobil 1 0W-40 meets these specs and more. I used this weight in my VW and Audi 1.8T. Turbos like 40 weight oil.

Look into Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. Its hard to find though. You can buy it from here. Avlube

I just checked out your UOA that you posted in the other section, and you have nothing to worry about, your wear numbers were very good! This oil is working out very well for you.

It sounds like a broken record, but Castrol Syntec 5w-40 is ACEA A3 approved and meets VW 502, 505, says so on the FRONT! Available at the VW dealer (TDI oil) and at many Speed Shops, easier to get then AutoZone's Syntec 0w-30 "SLX" which meets 503.01, the long-life 30,000km spec. I use it.

Mobil 1, 0W-40 comes as a factory fill in all Porsche Turbo cars and meets all VW current requirements.( Except new TDI PD motor )

I am using it in 2 family VW's and am delighted.
No start up clatter from lifters and oil starved areas. Engine spotlessly clean inside.

quote:

Originally posted by Bumper:
Why no Mobil 1 0w40 in a turbo engine? I have a 2001 Audi with the 1.8T engine and have used this oil for the past 20k miles changing every 5k miles and the engine is clean as a whistle. What are your thoughts?
dunno.gif

I think some 1.8T owners who practice extended drains are concerned about M1 0w-40's tendency to thin down to almost 30wt and thicken back up to near 40wt.

If you're adhering with the 5k drains, M1 0w-40, 5w-30 are fine, but I would stay with one that has 40wt because you're running higher boost. In fact, the oil you're using right now is excellent too.

I wouldn't use the M1 0W-40 in a turbo motor, because UOAs have shown it shears down to a 30 weight. If you look at the HTHS of the virgin M1 0W-40, it's just passing the requirements with an HTHS of 3.5. There are oils that will stay better in grade than M1 0W-40. From experiece, I know that my engine (Audi 2.8, not 1.8T) does not sound very good with 0W-40, and oil consumption is a bit higher, too. I'm not saying M1 0W-40 is bad, but you can do better.

By the way, I was using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 (hydrocracked)for about 100k miles, and my engine is clean like the proverbial whistle, too.
wink.gif

[ January 14, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

i had almost no loss in viscosity w/ syntec 0w-30 after 4200 miles, so....SOME 0w-30's do well in turbo applications.

instead of the group III syntec 5w-40 id go w/ the new VW spec Castrol 505.01 oil. thats the name of it-literally and its a 5w-40 oil. pour point of like around -56F is definetely PAO based. however, for the price, id go w/ Redline 5w-40 instead.

quote:

Mobil 1, 0W-40 comes as a factory fill in all Porsche Turbo cars...

The 1.8t is a great engine, but when did Porsche start using it?
dunno.gif
Castrol 0w-30 SLX is factory-fill in 1.8ts, VW and Audi.

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:

quote:

Mobil 1, 0W-40 comes as a factory fill in all Porsche Turbo cars...

The 1.8t is a great engine, but when did Porsche start using it?
dunno.gif
Castrol 0w-30 SLX is factory-fill in 1.8ts, VW and Audi.

Don't know the exact time but if you check with the Porche importer to the USA , they will confirm Mobil 1, 0W-40 as the factory fill

Hi,

I have used Mobil's Delvac 1 in various vehicles ranging from 500hp tractor units, thru reefer motors to my Subaru Outback,BMW Z3 2.8 & Porsche V8 for many years & millions of miles

This oil would be ideal for you - it is CI-4/SL configured and my Mobil Tech's tell me it meets A3/B3 but has not been approved as it is a "Fleet Oil"

It is especially robust in turbo and high engine load/temperature applications and over 62k miles use in my trucks it's viscosity is about 3% of our VOA at drain. And the TBN then has averaged 2.72(D4739) - a way above the 1(D4739)recommended by Detroit Diesel as their limit
In its CH-4/SF formulation it tolerated a soot loading up to about 5% a way above the 3.5% Mobil allows. The CI-4/SL version of this oil will be significantly better
It is an annual drain oil in my Subaru Outback( subject to distance ),BMW and Porsche

Regards

Hi,
Porsche started using synthetics as a factory fill in 1992. It was a 5w-40 lubricant and Shell was the supplier then
Most their engines were synthetics compatible from about 1978-9

About 1995-6 Mobil became their supplier and the first fill was M1 5w-40 I believe. Today it is M1 0w-40
For many years Porsche have insisted that their oils always have the secondary diesel engine rating as well ( say SL/CF> etc)

In the 1960'-1970s their factory fill was Shell's Rotella(?) diesel 15w-40 oil

Regards

Ok, so I'm trying to decide on a new oil for my 2001.5 170 hp chipped VW 1.8T. Oil analysis with Valvoline SynPower 5W40 showed insolubles just a bit too high. From what I've read, I'd like a group IV full synthetic (PAO based) 5W40 that meets at least VW 502.00, SJ or SL service, and ACEA A3 or better.
Doing a search for an oil that meets these came up blank, maybe it doesn't exist? And trying to find out about the various specs left me even more confused.
So, does anyone know of an oil, that can be obtained in the US, that meets these specs? Please help! Thanks!

Here are the 5W-40 oils that meet VW 502.00 and that are ACEA A3 rated:

Pentosynth 5W-40
Lubro Moly Vollsynthese 5W-40
Unocal 76 Pure Synthtic 5W-40

The first two brands you can find online. I've never seen the Unocal, but it's out there.

A few other viscosities that meet the same specs:

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (German Castrol -- Red Label)
Castrol Syntec 5W-50 (hydro-cracked)
Quaker State 5W-50 (hydro-cracked?)

Red Line 5W-40 should also work.

I spent a lot of time researching this and I've settled on Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40. I talked to the NE regional distributor I'm told by him and others it's a GIV 100% PAO.

If you want a 100% PAO oil that meets the letter of what's in the Bentley service manual (5W-40, ACEA A3, VW 502 and 505, *and* it's also API SL...the Pentosin and LubroMoly are only SJ) then this is your oil.

It has a pretty strong following with Subaru and other Japanese car people. Here are some places you can get it:
http://www.boomplustoys.net/motul_8100.shtml
http://www.importpartsspec.com/shop/mall/motul.asphttp://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html
http://www.motorspot.com/

I've ordered from Motorspot and was satisfied. I think they're also showing the cheapest price (~$6.10/quart). Motul also has a 100% Ester 5W-40, but I think that's probably unnecessary.

I've had it in my '99 AEB 1.8T for only about 2000 miles, but I'm happy with it so far. It doesn't seem to burn off at all, and the car is quiet.

Yeah, I know the frustration of finding an oil for this car that meets the letter of what VW says it requires. It's not easy, but then nothing about VW is easy. I'm carrying spare coils and such like it's some kind of flakey '60s Triumph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back