0w40 rotella synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbe here, have a question about this stuff, gets good reviews here and just wondering if it would be alright for my wifes VW TDI that has the 505.00 spec? Doesn't have anything for the VW's on the back but it is way cheaper than the 5W40 castrol and the 5W40 Volle Synthese I usually get and I want to save some money considering the expense to change the oil on these vehicles.

You won't find too much info on this oil since it's only available to us here in Canada, they don't sell it in the US. I don't know of anyone on here who has tried this oil yet.

The Americans have 5w40 Rotella Synthetic, but not the 0w40 version we've got.

xtrford:

This isn't something I'm super-well versed in, but I'll give it a shot.
Quick googling turned up the TDIclub [1], where the authors endorsed Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 for 505 applications.
The web page for Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 [2] and its product data sheet [3] conspicuously lack any mention of any VW endorsements.
I looked around on a TDI forum. Opinions range from "not using a 505 oil will kill you" to "as long as it says synthetic and has a diesel rating you'll be fine". That reminds me of the chaos that ensues if you ask about 5W20 on this forum.
Personally, I'd consider pricing the Castrol and Volle Synthese against purchasing Amsoil's 5W40 product from our Canadian Amsoil site sponsor [4].
I would personally AVOID any oil that doesn't say 505 somewhere on the bottle. Those TDI are subtle creatures, and quick to anger. :)
Also, seeing as you're a newbie, I'll advise you of the following before anyone else does:
1. Run an AutoRX rinse phase in your car.
2. Then use FP60 and Lube Control as preventive maintenance, regardless of what oil you wind up using. The additives forum has plenty of info on these products.

[1] http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-4.html
[2] http://www.rotella.com/products/rotella_t_synthetic.html
[3] http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/RotellaTSynthetic.pdf *PDF WARNING*

Actually at TDIclub we advise use Chevron and & Delvac in TDI's too.

It generally is accepted that any synthetic diesel rated oil is accetable in 1.9l ALH engine but it is the BEW engine which changed injection systems and commands an extremely stable oil which will not shear down. The injection pressure increased as did the angle on the cam lobe for which it actuates the injector. The ALH engines don't have this, just simple camshaft driven injection pump.

Many people in the states run Delvac, Delo, Rotella to 10k miles and beyond with excellent results.

So to answer your question Rotella would be fine.

Thanx for the response fellas and for the vast info you gave me, I have lurked here for some time now and I am glad I took the plunge and registered with the site. My 02 f150 with the 5.4l did just fine with the cheap 5w20 MC oil, my line of thought is there must be a cheaper alternative for the VW considering I change it every 5000-7500kms, that german castrol runs up to $8 a litre (canadian of coarse) and the filter is over $20 even at Walmart...yesh!

The maintenance costs, more than anything else, would keep me from getting a VW, especially the diesel. GREAT little cars, but pricy up front and pricy to keep on the road. I could get sooo much more car for less money... probably drive a Benz at the same maintenance price, although higher up-front.

Tom,
The maintenance costs are for my diesel over the past 42k miles in 18 months have been zero. All I expect is a TB change at 100k miles and possibly new glowplugs and probably clean my intake because I was too lazy to install a provent CCV filter. What unique costs are you talking about?

I would not run Ow-40 in a TDI...there are better options that have a higher soot loading capability. If you want to run cheap, try the Rotella T 5W-40. Its about 12-14 bucks a gallon and can be obtained at major retail outlets.

My Jeep CRD specifically mentions the Ow-40 oil but I was getting too much oil in my CCV filter and switched to Rotella T--much better no more oil consumption or oily CCV fumes.

What's really odd is that if you even go to Shell Canada ..they (the site- PDS - etc.) have not a clue about any 0w-40. If you search all Shell sites in all languages you will only get Shell Helix in a 0w-40.

shell search engine

Drew,

I've had a couple of VW-driving acquaintances with complaints about niggling quality issues. I've also seen consumer reports whine about quality issues on recent VWs.
Finally, oil change costs.
However, I'm glad if I'm wrong, for you and for everyone else who likes VW. I had a girlfriend in college with a Jetta and it seemed like a slick car. [Girl who bought herself a new Jetta with a stick. Shoulda' married that one.]

LOL Well she was half-way there Drew, hopefully she didn't whine too much and was a decent cook.

Almost bottom of the list would be that she isn't all that homely in appereance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back