0W40 For 2007 Camry 2.4 Aussie Version

I have just purchased a 2007 2.4L Camry with 160xxxkms. In Aus the manual recommend anything up to 10w 40 in hot climates. We live in Brisbane and it tens to get hot here in summer. I was thinking about the M1 0w40 but was concerned about the apparent oil injectors in that engine. Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks in advance

hpb

If the manual says 10w40 is ok, 0w40 will also be fine. By oil injectors I assume you mean that particular engine has jets which spray oil under the pistons to keep them cool - again, not a problem.

Nah all good with a 0W40 in that. Repco 0W40 could save you $40 a bottle over the M1, or you could Use either of the Edge 5W30 (A3/B4) or 5W40 for a little less than the M1. Only mentioned the edge 5W30 (A3/B4) as it's a strong HTHS, "40" grade anti wear package, and will put (marginally) more oil through the squirters than the 40s will at operating temperature. It's a wash really...0W40 will do you fine.

tomartomau

I had a read up on the Repco, which is made by Penrite but to Repco's formulation. I noticed that the Castrol 5w30 is on sale ATM which is a saving over sililiar spe'd oils. Thanks for the replies... What a fantastic price!

tomartomau

Mobil 0w40 is on "special" at the moment at Repco for $72.00, no bargain by any means but it is dear here in Aus.

Your 2007 would have piston oil "jets" here, I assume that was a global update. I really doubt it matters what oil you use and to be honest they weren't added to the 2.4 until 2004 IIRC for temperature/preignition, by no means a deal breaker. 40 weight is thicker than I would go but I wouldn't see any issue with it. I drive a heavier car with the same engine, and tow, all on 5w-30. I use 5w-20 in the winter. Might be colder here than there. More important than the oil would be to make sure the water pump isn't weeping, though mine has been fine. The valve clearance jobs on these is a pain due to bucket over shims, otherwise they are reliable.

tomartomau

Thanks Guys, I went for the M1 0w40, Made in France , distributed through Singapore. It cost $79.20 here in Aus so I pressume quite a bit dearer than in the US or Europe. COuld not get my hands on a M1 filter so I used a K & N (white with a nut underneath) for now.