0w30 or 5w30

Would I be better to run 0w30 or 5w30 in a 2016 crv with consumption issues? The only 0w30 available near me in 5qt jugs is mobil1, where as 5w30 is plentiful in every brand…not sure what to do…0w20 just disappears in this thing

Try a whatever cheap syn blend in 5/10w-30 and just check after the same amount of time it would take for a quart to get burned away to see if it helps or not. How long does it take for a quart or so to burn away. What is the mileage and intervals and with what oil? I know these Hondas can be pretty bad about oil consumption but i got lucky with the civic. Burns very little.

Home depot sells a fairly thick 5w-30 syn blend thats $17 a jug so you waste no money. Almost 12 cst kv100 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pennzoi...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-300646538-_-N&

Last edited:
I am having very good luck with the new QuakerState 10W30 Full Synthetic. You are not going to need winter ratings lower than 10W in Rhode Island. 10W should mean: Less junk and gunk in the blend and more oil. I am running it in a 20 grade application and its BETTER all around in this trucklett than the 20 ever was.
- Ken

I generally prefer 5w/10w30's as they often contain less VII's and are generally less volatile. This does not necessarily mean you'll see less oil consumption, but its worth a shot. I'd even go with a 10w30 in your case.

Honda 2.4's are known to consume oil. Honda went through a period where their low tension rings were causing oil consumption issues.

I generally prefer 5w/10w30's as they often contain less VII's and are generally less volatile. This does not necessarily mean you'll see less oil consumption, but its worth a shot. I'd even go with a 10w30 in your case.

Honda 2.4's are known to consume oil. Honda went through a period where their low tension rings were causing oil consumption issues.
Any brand better in the 5w30 department? Still want to use full synthetic. I’m thinking either QS, Pennzoil or Castrol

Would I be better to run 0w30 or 5w30 in a 2016 crv with consumption issues? The only 0w30 available near me in 5qt jugs is mobil1, where as 5w30 is plentiful in every brand…not sure what to do…0w20 just disappears in this thing
Try it has see if it has an impact on the consumption, if it doesn't, well, you at least checked. M1 0w-30 was one of the oils that didn't consume in our Expedition.

…0w20 just disappears in this thing
I can't make any assumptions or speculations about what's wrong with your engine, so I'll assume that it just isn't clean, especially around the piston rings.

Buy a quart of this: https://www.advlubrication.com/products/engine-cleaner?variant=40836981883073

And get a jug of Mobil 1 5W-30. The engine cleaner above is a fully formulated synthetic oil. Add it to four quarts or less of Mobil 1. I believe yours takes 4.6 quarts.

Run it for 2000 miles. Then dump it. Change the oil filter as well, which is the most important part. Always change your filter when you change your oil.

Then run Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. If you still have oil consumption issues, circle back and provide more details.

Keep in mind, that motor oil alone can't fix mechanical problems or design flaws.

I can't make any assumptions or speculations about what's wrong with your engine, so I'll assume that it just isn't clean, especially around the piston rings.

Buy a quart of this: https://www.advlubrication.com/products/engine-cleaner?variant=40836981883073

And get a jug of Mobil 1 5W-30. The engine cleaner above is a fully formulated synthetic oil. Add it to four quarts or less of Mobil 1. I believe yours takes 4.6 quarts.

Run it for 2000 miles. Then dump it. Change the oil filter as well, which is the most important part. Always change your filter when you change your oil.

Then run Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. If you still have oil consumption issues, circle back and provide more details.

Keep in mind, that motor oil alone can't fix mechanical problems or design flaws.
I’ll try just running the 5w30 first, I’m guessing it’s the low friction piston rings allowing oil by and burning it

I’ll try just running the 5w30 first, I’m guessing it’s the low friction piston rings allowing oil by and burning it
Your oil control rings might be plugged up with gunk and carbon, and that's the worse assumption on my part. Running 5W-30 by itself won't change much. If you want to go that route, I recommend running an OCI of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. It's basically a 5W-30 but it contains some mild cleaning power in the form of Esters. Red Line 5W-30 would be another option, but that one is expensive.

Your oil control rings might be plugged up with gunk and carbon, and that's the worse assumption on my part. Running 5W-30 by itself won't change much. If you want to go that route, I recommend running an OCI of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. It's basically a 5W-30 but it contains some mild cleaning power in the form of Esters. Red Line 5W-30 would be another option, but that one is expensive.
Does the 0w30 not have esters?

I can't make any assumptions or speculations about what's wrong with your engine,
so I'll assume that it just isn't clean, especially around the piston rings.

I agree with this. If you're using appropriate oil and oil consumption is
still excessive that's likely not caused by oil and can't be solved by using
another one. It's likely caused by mechanical issues and/or sticky piston
rings, maybe weak valve guides or a broken PCV system. Solve the cause
first! It may be worth trying engine cleaner product and some short OCIs.
Don't miss to run that car over extended periods at operating temperature.

Does the 0w30 not have esters?
Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 is formulated with Alkylated Naphthalenes instead of Esters. Mobil does that to increase the effectiveness of anti-wear additives so they can decrease the amount of ZDDP used to give AFE the ability to provide a tiny bump in fuel economy. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that would be the dumbed-down version.

The best-case scenario with the most cleaning power would be Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 + one quart of HPL Engine Cleaner. If that won't fix your oil consumption issues within a few thousand miles, then probably nothing that has to do with oil will, and you might need to have a professional look at it and give you an honest diagnosis.

My wife's Outback also consumes the Subaru recommended 0W-20. I had considered switching to 0W-30, but also found it hard to find. Since I use M1 FS 0W-40 in my E350, I decided that I will be filling the Outback with M1 FS 0W-40 at the next oil change. I'm anxious to see if it slows down the oil consumption.

M1 FS 0W-40 is to me what 5W-30 is to most others. I have found it to be a great all-around motor oil. The B&S engine on the lawn mower runs quieter on it. The snow blower engine seems to like it also.

I always find it intriguing on these various forums how experiences vary from person to person…?
My personal experience with the Honda 2.4l,
Bought a 2005 Accord with that motor and ran it for 11yrs and a couple hundred thousand miles, I don’t remember adding oil to it and quite frankly don’t remember much of anything out of the ordinary. Bought a 2016 Accord to replace that one, again the 2.4l, which is due for an oil change right now (7500 mi change) with 74K on the vehicle and the oil level is 1/4” below the full mark on the dip stick. So, IDK…?

If your consumption issue is related to oil grade then changing the winter rating is scratching around the edges. As already mentioned go up a grade.

Back