0W30/5W30 in a 2024 GM 5.3L V8?

I just bought a 2024 Silverado Custom trail boss 5.3L V8 Z71 4x4. This truck uses Dexos 1 Gen 3 0W20 oil, 8 quarts of it.

It has start/stop but I turn that off every time I get in. Plus, being in south Florida with the A/C running full blast, it practically never start/stops anyways. I don’t know if this engine has the cylinder deactivation feature that turns the 8 cyl into a 4 cyl on the highway. How do I know if that feature is installed?

My question? Can I run 0W30/5W30 in this engine? Or is 0W20 a must?

There is a lot of chatter about stuck lifters causing damaged camshafts in these engines, but mostly from a few years ago. Not sure if that is still an issue or not?

A GM mechanic I know says to change the oil religiously every 4000 miles on these. I thought that was excessive with the 8 quart sump.

I would just get any cheap API SP rated 0w20. Those lifters do not fail because of oil weight. I would change the oil every 5k miles or sooner.

But if I had a newer 5.3 Silverado, the first thing I personally would do is getting those afm lifters and cam out of the motor and putting in regular lifters and cam in it before I worry about what oil to use. All cylinder deactivation on all domestic V8’s have issues because of poor design, not because of oil.

I have a similar setup in my 2018 with the AFM (V8 to V4) and I’ve been running 0W-20 from the beginning. Just over 60,000 miles now with no issues. I have used PP, M1 AFE, and now the Valvoline EP with an ACDelco PF63 filter. I change every 5,000 miles regardless what the OLM says. Keep up with the maintenance and drive it!

Here we go again-
I have towed all over the Rocky Mountains with 5.3's running 0w/20. This includes up 7,000 to 8,000 foot mountain passes in 90plus degree weather.
I don't think with living in Florida you will anything to worry about.
4,000 mile OCI is excessive.

You can run 0w/30 or 5w/30 but the 0w/20 has not shown to be detrimental to the motors

Yes they absolutely still have lifter issues with the new ones off the lot.

4000 miles is a bit too soon in my opinion but I think 5-7k is a happy median of better care yet not a waste.

I think all the 5.3L have DFM and not AFM now. So they can vary which cylinder get shut down and it allows them to run on 2 cylinders in certain situations.

I think I have been hearing of less issues with the current engines in regards to lifter failures, but there's always going to be some with how many of these engines GM makes. I would just follow the OLM on it. 8 quarts is a lot of oil and GM's OLM seems to do a good job.

our 5.3L LT motors get 5w-30. they’re much quieter with significantly less valve train noise.
That's very subjective unless you have found a way to isolate the valve train and measure the noise.

Here is my take, as I have had 4 of these engines, and done oil tests on all of them.........this is not including the AFM delete issue, as I disagree that the issue is not oil related......yes a poor design.....but i think oil does contribute..................take it or leave it.

All 4 of mine, same engine, same usage ,same fuel, same everything. At 3500 mile average, taking into account the engine oil top off, (since GM says that 1qt per 1000 is OK), the oil had changed viscosity to the lowest limit of a 30w.......

If the engine is made to run on a 20 wt, and fuel dilutes the oil to a .16w, then are you running a 20w anymore? No.

So, if I were you, after the break in, run a 0w30 oil, and do a oil analysis at 5000 to see if the oil stayed above the minimum viscosity required.

Check your oil level at gas fill ups, cant stress this enough.

I run Xw-30 oils in my 2014 5.3…just personal preference.

I’ve heard of lots of high mile 5.3s getting there with only 0w-20

So sad that GM was forced to ruin a perfectly good engine with AFM or DFM.
My personal opinion is that the oil isnt the problem but CAN be if its not changed at a reasonable interval. Neglect of oil only increases the chance of lifter issues.
If it was mine and I lived in FL I would have no issue running 0W20 Dexos1 Gen3 oil in it but if the 5W30 flavor was on sale I wouldnt hesitate to run it.
Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

A few previous threads on "can I use a 30-grade when the manual recommends a 20-grade?" There are lots more:

I run 15w40 in my older 5.3 which has AFM, no issues. Definitely quieter than when I tried 0w30. The sweet spot seems to be a thicker 5w30 or 0w40 because these engines suffer from fuel dilution. I have heavy fuel dilution which is why I typically run 15w40.

I have a 22.5 Silverado 5.3 - my engine is quiet. I don’t hear anything but the exhaust. 0W20 FTW. Look at it this way, if there’s an issue with a lifter and it’s past powertrain, then you can pull the motor, delete the DOD, put in a big cam and freshen everything up.

Here is my take, as I have had 4 of these engines, and done oil tests on all of them.........this is not including the AFM delete issue, as I disagree that the issue is not oil related......yes a poor design.....but i think oil does contribute..................take it or leave it.

All 4 of mine, same engine, same usage ,same fuel, same everything. At 3500 mile average, taking into account the engine oil top off, (since GM says that 1qt per 1000 is OK), the oil had changed viscosity to the lowest limit of a 30w.......

If the engine is made to run on a 20 wt, and fuel dilutes the oil to a .16w, then are you running a 20w anymore? No.

So, if I were you, after the break in, run a 0w30 oil, and do a oil analysis at 5000 to see if the oil stayed above the minimum viscosity required.

Check your oil level at gas fill ups, cant stress this enough.
The AFM or the new motor? I have had three and have run 0w/20 without issues-under more demanding circumstances than many.

Of course you can. My choice:
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 4.35.13 PM.jpg

The AFM or the new motor? I have had three and have run 0w/20 without issues-under more demanding circumstances than many.
Well both really, but I am referring to the L8T, most specifically. I have known several who had new motors at 120k, with the 5.3 with AFM, however.

There is a reason why people delete them, of course.

In my L8Ts, of the 4, my personal truck, was the worst. In the beginning of their life, I did the same breakin, and then did tests at 5000, when oil was changed, using dexos oil............all had a change in viscosity below 30 wt. within 10% of each other.

We tow 12k-15k quite a bit, in the city, does not get much worse than that.

I got rid of 1, after they would not warranty their 1 quart per 100 gallons thing, and the tranny was shuddering.

I just bought a 2024 Silverado Custom trail boss 5.3L V8 Z71 4x4. This truck uses Dexos 1 Gen 3 0W20 oil, 8 quarts of it.

It has start/stop but I turn that off every time I get in. Plus, being in south Florida with the A/C running full blast, it practically never start/stops anyways. I don’t know if this engine has the cylinder deactivation feature that turns the 8 cyl into a 4 cyl on the highway. How do I know if that feature is installed?

My question? Can I run 0W30/5W30 in this engine? Or is 0W20 a must?

There is a lot of chatter about stuck lifters causing damaged camshafts in these engines, but mostly from a few years ago. Not sure if that is still an issue or not?

A GM mechanic I know says to change the oil religiously every 4000 miles on these. I thought that was excessive with the 8 quart sump.
LTs replaced LS's in 2014 & newer Chev & GMCs and the recommended engine oil grade was changed from 5w30 to 0W20 in the 1500s, but the HD 2500s & 3500s 6L & new iron block 6.6L L8T specified 5w30.
I've used Xw40 in the 2013 and older LS 5.3L and 2014 & newer 6L & 6.6L LTs in HD work trucks owned by the railway.

My daughter's 2022 3.6L Acadia currently has 10w40 GTX (API SP) and will get 0W40 M1 SP for the winter.
UPF63R filter has the highest bypass setting and seems to work ok in all of the engines.

In addition to protection from possible fuel dilution, the use of XW40s have eliminated the need to add oil between changes.
No, or very little oil consumption is better for downstream emission control equipment such as cats, O2 and NOX sensors than
using a lighter grade of engine oil and high consumption.

The new iron block 6.6L L8T is my new favorite engine and I'd rather spend the extra money for a 2500 or 3500 just to get away from
AFM and stop start nonsense.

Back