0w16 options?

I think he was saying that once engine is at certain temperature, the pump expects (programmed) oil to have certain viscosity. If its not, it may not properly lubricate/flow. He only had this caution for new style of oil pumps they use in toyota hybrids and few others. He is not a dumb guy.
IIRC, we've done a breakdown analysis of the Toyota pump on here, it's not super complicated (which is typical for Toyota).

IIRC, we've done a breakdown analysis of the Toyota pump on here, it's not super complicated (which is typical for Toyota).
Plus we have been over this before. The same part number oil pump is used in other regions where a higher grade is recommended. And the owner's manuals for this model suggest a higher grade under severe operating conditions.

The amount of sheer misinformation and fear mongering over topics like this is amazing. But it is what the CAFE award letters want and apparently are getting.

The “car care nut” claims that the variable pressure oil pump is calibrated to work with 0w-16. There are not that many choices for 0w-16 and at one point it was difficult to find any, maybe that's why they putting this language…

He doesn't work for Toyota nor has the ability to access the information that the engineers and designers have. Not taking anything away from him as I would love for him to work on my cars if he was nearby. He never goes into too technical of other regions oil requirements probably because its not his nature of work.

Based on what other region uses for this engine as members pointed out for the rav4, highlander kluger can use higher weights.

Guess what oil weight the hybrid Camry uses in Mexico? 5w30! You can google and youtube it. My guess is the regulations are different and also mexico roads would be considered severe use with congestions and climate etc.
Unless the ECU is programmed different in Mexico or the part # of pump is different which all this can be verified. (Haven't seen it yet.)

He doesn't work for Toyota nor has the ability to access the information that the engineers and designers have
I thought he is/was working for Toyota dealership as master ASE?
You right, he is not an engineer. He promotes shorter OCIs, which is something I agree. I also like thicker oils, but thought he had something specific about the pump.

I thought he is/was working for Toyota dealership as master ASE?
You right, he is not an engineer. He promotes shorter OCIs, which is something I agree. I also like thicker oils, but thought he had something specific about the pump.
I maybe wrong but I believe its the same as the dealership model. Employed by dealer but "interacts" with Toyota engineers when needed.

This the new Toyota engine architecture. It is specifically designed with a "continuous variable-capacity oil pump" for "low-viscosity engine oil," the latter of which is SAE 0W-16. The next-generation Toyota engines will be designed for "ultra-low-viscosity engine oil" (JASO GLV-1), which is SAE 0W-8.

This the new Toyota engine architecture. It is specifically designed with a "continuous variable-capacity oil pump" for "low-viscosity engine oil," the latter of which is SAE 0W-16. The next-generation Toyota engines will be designed for "ultra-low-viscosity engine oil" (JASO GLV-1), which is SAE 0W-8.

Yes.

Do you know why toyota manual says that you can use 0w-20 instead of 0w-16 but OCI must be 5k miles instead of 10k (which is what they recommend for 0w-16). This is all a mystery to me.
Likely legaleze to ensure you have the oil the CAFE rating was achieved on in the pan. This is the same company that has stated in many manuals that a heavier viscosity oil may be more appropriate for towing and other high load conditions.

2023 Highlander Hybrid maintenance and warranty manual:

NOTE: Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W-16 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W-16 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W-16 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W-16 is not available, 0W-20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at a 5,000-mile or six-month INTERVAL with 0W-16 motor oil.

For customers who primarily drive their vehicle under any of the listed Special Operating Conditions, the motor oil and filter should be replaced at 5,000 miles or six months, REGARDLESS OF THE OIL USED (OR CERTIFICATION OF THE VEHICLE).

Hmm.. 0w-8 oil Oh my!!! where will the MOFT be?

My new Camry 2.5L specs 0w16. I plan to change oil at 5k miles and then take advantage of the Toyota included TGMO service at 10k and 20k miles.

After I’m not sure if I’ll stick with TGMO or use another OTC 0w16 assuming I can find it on shelves at the local Walmart.

What say you experts?
It's just hard to think about putting something so thin as 0w16 into an engine with only 25,000 miles.
(Our Rav 4).
But, that's what it calls for. Maybe after 50,000 miles I'll replace with 0w20. We'll see
when we get there.

It's just hard to think about putting something so thin as 0w16 into an engine with only 25,000 miles.
(Our Rav 4).
But, that's what it calls for. Maybe after 50,000 miles I'll replace with 0w20. We'll see
when we get there.
Why wait so long if you thinks it’s better or it’s bothering you? For the record our Toyota is at 52K on only 0w16.

Back