0w16 options?

I’ve been using Mobil 1, mostly because of ease of getting at walmart.

I just did, it was 60-70% PAO. Maybe you should check it?
1667174260285.jpg

That's 60-70% GTL

The Toyota Care free service has been at 5K intervals for my wife's Corolla Hybrid. I check the oil after it's serviced and it's clean, so I know it's not skipped over for an inspection of other things instead.

I will have to double check with my servicing dealer to see if that’s the case. I would prefer a 5k interval especially in the early “wear-in” stages of its life.

The Toyota Care free service has been at 5K intervals for my wife's Corolla Hybrid. I check the oil after it's serviced and it's clean, so I know it's not skipped over for an inspection of other things instead.
A good practice, but I am guessing the dealership gets paid one way or another and may even need to use a quota of parts like oil filters. They don't want to run afoul of the factory nor risk a bad rating...

I've been using 0w20 in my Toyotas because Walmart didn't have 0w16 when I went oil shopping.

Totota service will change the oil and rotate tires every 10k miles. The 5k service is tire rotation only.

Last edited by a moderator:
My new Camry 2.5L specs 0w16. I plan to change oil at 5k miles and then take advantage of the Toyota included TGMO service at 10k and 20k miles.

After I’m not sure if I’ll stick with TGMO or use another OTC 0w16 assuming I can find it on shelves at the local Walmart.

What say you experts?
I think TGMO 0W-16 SP is the best nonboutique 0W-16 out there, having plenty of ZDDP (antiwear), moly (antiwear, extreme pressure, and friction modifier), and boron (dispersant for low-temperature sludge). Mobil 1 is probably still lean on the additives. Unlike Mobil 1, TGMO tends to have Group V polyol ester ((POE) engine-cleaning solvent, OCI extender, and seal sweller), too, which is another plus.

Check with local Toyota dealers to see if they participate in AdvantageCARE. Here, they offer a $50 oil change/tire rotation/multipoint inspection if you buy three of them at a time. This is what I will do and get two 5,000-mile oil changes a year, costing only $100 a year, which is not much more than DIY and you get multipoint inspections, too. I also don't need to worry about changing my OCI dates by going over 10,000 miles on a single oil change a year by getting 5,000-mile oil changes instead. 5,000-mile oil changes also improve the fuel economy as used oil has poor fuel economy and extend the engine durability and life by keeping the engine cleaner and reducing the wear on engine parts by keeping the TAN low. No grease on hands, no oil recycling, no oil spills in the garage—it is a win–win.

WCT_AdvantageCare_1000x1500.jpg

Last edited:
Back