0W oil vs 5W

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manuals for both of my cars recommend 5W-30. I live in the NE and it can be very cold for 2 months out of the year. So I am considering switching from 5W-30 dino to GC 0W-30 synthetic to run year round in the one car. The other car uses BMW 5W-30 long life. From what I understand the BMW oil is a group III
oil, not a true synthetic.

My concern is that I've always heard that it is best to try and keep the difference between the 2 numbers as small as possible. Under this theory, a 5W-30 would be "better" than a 0W-30. But many here have said such great things about the GC 0W-30. the W-30 should be a little better in cold winter, but will it be ok in summer?

Thanks.

Yes, especially if synthetic. I have been running the Amosil 0W30 for over 3 years now year rounds in Virginia. UOA as good as the 10W I was using before and I only change it once a year, aboout 12,000 miles.

If 5w-30 is recommended for your car, then 0w-30 should work in it just as well.

However, it doesn't really get THAT cold in NY that you would HAVE to use 0w-30. Any 5w-30 full synthetic can handle your winters no problem, IMO. That said, I'd go ahead and use GC 0w-30 anyway.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by first5ny:

My concern is that I've always heard that it is best to try and keep the difference between the 2 numbers as small as possible. Under this theory, a 5W-30 would be "better" than a 0W-30. But many here have said such great things about the GC 0W-30. the W-30 should be a little better in cold winter, but will it be ok in summer?

Rumor has it that GC 0w30 may contain no VI improvers in it at all though, so it attains it's large spread soley due to a better blend of base oils.

So even though you don't need the 0w rating in the summertime, it's simply the quality of this oil and it's excellent wear numbers which make it a good choice no matter what the weather.

Patman: Do you think the GC 0W30 is as good as the Amsoil 0W30. (I found some in an Autozone yesterday while visiting Lake George NY)

I don't think the comparison is that easily made. For example, the GC 0-30 is an A3 oil which makes it a step above other OTC 30 weights regardless of it's 0W rating. Even better than the Syntec 5/10-30.

However, I would venture to say that M-1 5/10-30 are better than their 0-30 if anything because of the smaller viscosity spread with all 3 being A1/A5 rated.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Patman: Do you think the GC 0W30 is as good as the Amsoil 0W30. (I found some in an Autozone yesterday while visiting Lake George NY)

In short drains it appears to me that the GC 0w30 is every bit as good as Amsoil 0w30 at keeping wear numbers low.

In terms of extended intervals, it's hard to say since nobody has pushed GC that far, although I would assume GC could hold it's own considering it passes the BMW long life spec.

For me it's an easy choice, up here GC is $6.66 per liter, while Amsoil 0w30 is $12.80 per quart.

Here are viscosities of the GC 0W-30 and a couple of dino 5w-30's for comparison.

code:

GC Mobil Pennzoil

0W-30 5W-30 5W-30

Synth Dino Dino

Viscosity

40C: 68.5 62.0 60.0

100C: 12.1 10.5 10.5

GC 0W-30 posts viscosity numbers probably closer to a 10W-30 than the 5W-30 range.

Part of first5NY's question relates to viscosity. As is so often discussed here, 0W is not SAE 0 viscosity, but rather 0W where W=Winter and is a starting viscosity rating.

Here are the starting viscosity ratings;
10W 3500cP at -20 C (- 4 F)
5W 3500cP at -25 C (-13 F)
0W 3250cP at -30 C (-22 F)

Bottom line, GC 0W-30 qualifies as a 0W, but is not a "thin" oil.

quote:

For me it's an easy choice, up here GC is $6.66 per liter, while Amsoil 0w30 is $12.80 per quart.

OMG, someone is really out of whack with that price for the Amsoil S-2000 0w-30!!! You can mail order it direct from Amsoil for about $4 cheaper per qt, and if you buy a one-year membership (not a dealership), you can get a further 20% off. Add to that having it dropped on your doorstep, and the cost difference isn't nearly so bad. If this is some weird Canada only thing, maybe I need to set up an Amsoil smuggling operation.
wink.gif

BTW, Big Brother, if you're monitoring this, that was just a joke.

quote:

I don't think the comparison is that easily made. For example, the GC 0-30 is an A3 oil which makes it a step above other OTC 30 weights regardless of it's 0W rating. Even better than the Syntec 5/10-30.

Dumb question: what is an A3 rated oil? I am thinking of using the GC 0W-30 in BMW, but BMW says use 5W-30. Any downside to using the 0W-30 instead of 5W-30?

quote:

Any downside to using the 0W-30 instead of 5W-30?

Yes, you have to explain it to dorks who try to tell you ze-ro weight oil is thin.
confused.gif

It just pumps better at low temps, CRUCIAL for turbo lube at start-up. With a turbo, I would use only 5w or 0w in Northern states.

Too bad that BMW probally meant REAL 30 weight oil like their stuff, which is fine. As a rule Euro car=SAE 40 weight(minimum) and 5w-40 is the most common Euro-grade. 5w-40 is generally a well-made oil, far from what most 5w-30 dino oils car deliver. 0w-30 is more like 0w-40 or 5w-40 as far as applications and quality although a *high quality* 5w-30 could do fine. Consider M1 SUV 5w-40 for the Beamer.

[ May 13, 2004, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back