Castrol Syntec 0w-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am out of date with Castrol synthetics. Earlier today I went to CT looking for GC 0w-30, while they had those in liter sizes they didn't have them in 5L jugs. So I ended up picking up 4 jugs of Castrol Syntec 0w-40 European formula, this is the made in Belgium stuff. LL01 approved.

Background:

2007 BMW 335i N54 - IC, intake, downpipe, cat delete, exhaust, tune. Serviced at BMW dealer with 5w30 until 70k km. Been changed with GC 0w30 at a indy shop every 7-9k km intervals. 115k km on the odometer. My wife drives this car, about 10-15k km a year. 70 highway/30 city mixed driving, mostly long trips.

2007 BMW 550i N62 - Intake, exhaust, tune. Same oil routine as above except oci is 12k - 14k km. 160k km on the odometer. I drive this car, about 10-15k km a year. 70 city/30 highway mostly short trips (
I usually have both these cars serviced at a reputable indy shop in town. The owner is former longtime head mechanic at a local BMW dealer. Both car's routine maintenance is up to date. 335i is currently parked for the winter, 550i has winter tires on but is rarely driven. I am in the process of moving to northern AB and am planning to do the oil changes myself for the future.

The current fill in both cars are about 9 months/6k km old. Anyone have experience with the 'GC' 0w-40 in these motors? Should I go back and pick the individual 1L jugs of GC 0w30? Another option would be Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro from wally world, it's on sale still. Can anyone recommend good filters that I can order online?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The 0w-40 should treat you just fine, just as nicely as GC 0w-30 or M1 0w-40. Now, as for filters, I would check Partsource if you have one nearby and buy a couple there. They have very competitive prices on German Mann stuff. Autopartsway's Canadian site was where I bought filters and plenty of other OEM parts when I had my Audi. They usually have German Bosch, Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and so forth, all at fairly decent prices.

The 0W-30 and 0W-40 Castrol are the same additive package, just a different viscosity when hot.
40 is a little thicker.

I would use 1-2 quarts of -30, and the rest -40...

Last edited:
You could, but I wouldn't, since it's not economically feasible. You go to Canadian stores and buy single quarts of GC and let me know how it goes.
wink.gif

Many folks have made the switch to GC 0W40 who were using GC 0W30...they are pretty much interchangeable. In my VW 2.0 Turbo I've made the switch mainly because 5L jugs are available in 0W40
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back