Why have 5W-30 or 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep wondering that when oil manufacturers are making 0W-30 and 0W-20, why even have 5W-30 and 5W-20? The 0W oils are getting pretty popular as of late.

0W-30 and 5W-30 are identical at operating temperatures and 0W gives better cold flowing properties, same with 0W-20 vs. 5W-20.

IMO, it would simplify packaging and inventory for oil makers.

A lot of manufacturers are specifying that in very cold climates a 0W can be used in place of a 5W.

Thanks.

There are some reasons: Many vehicles spec'ed 5W30(or 5W20) and drivers don't take change to use 0W30(or 0W20).

The one grade that almost no new vehicle recommended is synthetic 10W30. This synthetic grade is virtually obsoleted. That why Costco used to have M1 10W30 some years ago, now they don't.The other synthetic grade should be dropped is 10W40. How many newer vehicles spec'ed synthetic 10W40 ?

Originally Posted By: stchman
I keep wondering that when oil manufacturers are making 0W-30 and 0W-20, why even have 5W-30 and 5W-20? The 0W oils are getting pretty popular as of late.

0W-30 and 5W-30 are identical at operating temperatures and 0W gives better cold flowing properties, same with 0W-20 vs. 5W-20.

IMO, it would simplify packaging and inventory for oil makers.

A lot of manufacturers are specifying that in very cold climates a 0W can be used in place of a 5W.

Thanks.

Except that 0w-20s and 0w-30s are possible only as a full synthetic or synthetic blend. So if that if these were the only viscosities available, there would be no more conventional oils and cost would go up.

I've always wondered the same thing, doesn't make sense to have the 5w grades when 0w grades seem to be able to do more. Maybe as time goes along the 0w's will push them out.

But not everyone in everywhere needs a 0w-whatever. Many states in the US can use a 10w viscosity with ZERO issues. If I lived in the upper plains states, upper northeast and Alaska I would obviously use a 0w. But in the southeast, dessert southwest, and the west coast they could easily use a 10w. I really like Vermont when I went up there on vacation. If we had moved there it would certainly require a change in winter oils I would run
smile.gif

Bigtime cold up there compared to where I am now
smile.gif

0w are almost always synthetic.

Consumers are cheap. Marketing dept's don't want to scare us away. Synthetic is a bad vulgar scary word... defined as 'costs more'.

With the move to synthetic, without using the negative word synthetic, marketing pushed for extended intervals and OLM to address the cost that consumer would complain about.

I still like 10w30 and 10w40 synth oils. I want my HTHS. I want my non-SN zddp levels.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I still like 10w30 and 10w40 synth oils. I want my HTHS. I want my non-SN zddp levels.

^^Same here. See sig.

I use 0w-30 because it's the same price as the 5w-30 and there's the possibility that it's better just like 10w-30 might be better than 30W.

Hmmmmm... Interesting
smile.gif

I am a bit of a fan of 10w30. Usually very low NOACK vs. Other viscosities. Especially Pennzoil Ultra. It's less than 6 in the 10w30.
But I do see where you are going with this idea though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Because your typical vehicle owner will only buy what's specified in the owner's manual.

What? I bet 90+% of people don't read their manual that came free with the car. Nobody in my family has. I know because they ask me for advice and I ask them what the manual says.

"Oh, I haven't looked at that"

Living in Dallas, I just use 10w-30 all year...rarely gets below freezing, so zero reason for me to use anything else. I like my 10w-30 PYB.

Exactlamente..
smile.gif

Though y'all do have some nasty ice storms from time to time.. But obviously it doesn't warrant a change in viscosity. In north Texas it may be possible due to the "blue northern" that sweep in. With high temps in the teens and low temps way down. Amazing the weather differences across that massive state. 80s in Brownsville to 10s and 0s and snow north of Amarillo. And yes I've seen that on the map. Crazy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
What? I bet 90+% of people don't read their manual that came free with the car.

Then they go by what the oil cap says.

With conventional base stocks the multigrade oil that needs the fewest and least robust Viscosity Improver (VI) additives is 10W-30 so on a budget that should provide the most stable oil at the least cost.

5W-30 (or 5W-xx) is really a premium additive package in a conventional oil. I can see how a hydrocracked (base III) 0W-30 "synthetic" could compare in price since synthetics need fewer VI's to meet a given viscosity.

Winter viscosity is so regional that what people are used to using is what they will buy; I can see 5W-30 being a popular choice in some areas and not so popular in others (without regard to what actual winter viscosity is ideal).

For example someone posted about 0W-xx being ideal for "Alaska" while elsewhere someone mentions how diverse Texas is when it comes to cold overnight lows.

Well, Alaska is twice the size of Texas and has a much wider temperature variation. The majority of Alaskans live in the Panhandle which experiences mild winters, much warmer than, say, North Dakota.

On the other hand, inland and to the north, Alaska really does experience the temperatures everyone in the lower 48 thinks it does (although very few Alaskans actually live there).

5W-xx is totally appropriate for Juneau in winter, 0W-xx is totally appropriate for Northeast Montana.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
With conventional base stocks the multigrade oil that needs the fewest and least robust Viscosity Improver (VI) additives is 10W-30 so on a budget that should provide the most stable oil at the least cost.

5W-30 (or 5W-xx) is really a premium additive package in a conventional oil. I can see how a hydrocracked (base III) 0W-30 "synthetic" could compare in price since synthetics need fewer VI's to meet a given viscosity.

Winter viscosity is so regional that what people are used to using is what they will buy; I can see 5W-30 being a popular choice in some areas and not so popular in others (without regard to what actual winter viscosity is ideal).

For example someone posted about 0W-xx being ideal for "Alaska" while elsewhere someone mentions how diverse Texas is when it comes to cold overnight lows.

Well, Alaska is twice the size of Texas and has a much wider temperature variation. The majority of Alaskans live in the Panhandle which experiences mild winters, much warmer than, say, North Dakota.

On the other hand, inland and to the north, Alaska really does experience the temperatures everyone in the lower 48 thinks it does (although very few Alaskans actually live there).

5W-xx is totally appropriate for Juneau in winter, 0W-xx is totally appropriate for Northeast Montana.

Your wrong about 10w-30 having the least amount of VII. Each grade will be formulated with a different grade base stock depending on the characteristics desired.
So it's entirely possible that a 0w20 could have less VII than a 5w-20. It all depends on the specific base stocks being used.
So it's entirely possible that a 0w-30 may have less VII than the same brands 10w-30,it depends on the combination of basestocks used by the formulator.
If all base stocks were the same viscosity to start then yes it makes sense that more VII would be required as the winter rating decreased however since basestocks can be made in a wide range of specific gravities and those gravities blended to the point where it's possible to minimize VII use to near zero it's inaccurate to assume the higher the winter rating of a grade naturally means more or less VII are required to achieve that winter rating.
Just sayin

Better base stocks require less help from unstable polymeric thickeners and that should result in better oil.

As I understand, my 0w-30 oil requires hardly any such help because of the natural qualities of the polyol ester base stocks.

I spend more money on fluids for my vehicles but I also do the work myself and keep them until they drop. I consider the Honda at 31 years old, finally broken in.

5W-30 works for me and AFAIK is still the most popular grade...

May want to ask the oil companies why they don't eliminate their most popular oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back