0w-40 REAL SYN at VIP for $4.99/qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good to me(nice NOACK), not too thick I'm gonna clean out the shelf locally. Seen this in a VIP auto parts circular from Sunday's paper. Anybody try this yet? Oh, Its API SL.

MYSTIK® SYNTHETIC 4-CYCLE MOTOR OIL, SAE 0W-40
Material Code 663081002
Gravity, ASTM D 287, °API 33.0
Density, lbs/gal 7.2
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, COC, °F (°C) 428 (220)
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C) –56 (–51)
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40°C 83
cSt @ 100°C 13.5
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 165
CCS Viscosity, cP (°C), ASTM D 5293 6000 (–35)
NOACK Volatility, ASTM D 5800, % Loss 7
Color, ASTM D 1500 2.5
Sulfated Ash, ASTM D 874, m% 1.0
TBN, ASTM D 2896, mg KOH/g 9.5

Last edited:
Flash point and VI aren't particularly impressive IMO.

Other than that, it looks okay for short-to-moderate drains. You sure it's formulated for cars, though?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Other than that, it looks okay for short-to-moderate drains. You sure it's formulated for cars, though?

This looks like a motorcycle and/or ATV oil not that that's a problem. ZDDP is likely quite high.
Yes, the VI at 165 is low. M1 0W-40 by comparison is 186.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would also be willing to bet that at least 85% of the base stock is a Group III.
NOPE:

1-Decene trimer, hydrogenated 68649-12-7 10 - 50
1-Decene homopolymer, hydrogenated 68037-01-4 10 - 50
1, 2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C9-11-branched alkyl esters,
C10-rich
68515-49-1 3 - 7
Proprietary Ingredients Proprietary Mixture 3 - 7
Zinc and zinc compounds Proprietary span>

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Other than that, it looks okay for short-to-moderate drains You sure it's formulated for cars, though?
I mainly posted this as a fun option if you are getting bored with the usual suspects
wink.gif
That, and the prce isnt terrible for a REAL syn.
-
Short drains on a real syn?! I would say all 0w-40 are not long drain stay-in-grade performers. I dont look for a silly-high TBN in a syn for engine performance-compromise reasons. Flash may be a bit low since its a 0w and prob a dumbell blend. It's sold as a 4S snowmobile oil but not that that matters at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would also be willing to bet that at least 85% of the base stock is a Group III.
15-40% grpIII per the msds. I didnt think you could get that pour and 0w CCS with majority grp III on a 40W can you?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
15-40% grpIII per the msds.

I don't see any Group III in the ingredients you listed above. The first two are PAOs and the third is an aromatic diester (Diisodecyl Phthalate) for seal swell and additive solubility. That particular diester is quite potent for seal swell, but has a VI of only 60, so it will trim about seven VI points off the final blend.

Tom NJ

on another line in the msds ( that I didnt text grab on my first try) CITGO had severely refined heavy paraffinic in the % I listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back