0w-40 M1 FS Euro Synthetic a good choice for my 04 Forester XT with EJ257?

I use this oil in one of my ALH TDI(s) I get rebates and all of that each time I purchase so I stock up. Is this also a good/great choice for the 04 FXT that is Stage 2? RT6 is just too expensive off sale for my tastes and I have tons of other vehicles. It has about 135k miles with no visible oil burning. Still pulls really hard.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

It's good, you say stage 2 so how much are you pushing, how do you run it, and what's the lowest temp it has to crank at. I may use 15w-50 if I run it hard unless it has to start at below 0 with a pan heater.

Thanks. So the Euro flavor is fine for it as well?
It's good, you say stage 2 so how much are you pushing, how do you run it, and what's the lowest temp it has to crank at. I may use 15w-50 if I run it hard unless it has to start at below 0 with a pan heater.
I am not sure. This vehicle is seldom driven hard to be honest. It has aged with me and has gone from driven sort of hard to old fogey.

I am not sure what Stage 2 output for this vehicle puts out. I just threw that out there for those who might forget the vehicle is turbocharged and just see Forester is all. I would assume it's under 300 crank HP for sure though.

Lowest temperatures...It hardly ever gets in the single digits here Farenheit but it can happen. Summers rarely get over 100 degrees.

Last edited:
I use this oil in one of my ALH TDI(s) I get rebates and all of that each time I purchase so I stock up. Is this also a good/great choice for the 04 FXT that is Stage 2? RT6 is just too expensive off sale for my tastes and I have tons of other vehicles. It has about 135k miles with no visible oil burning. Still pulls really hard.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Subaru folks have to one day, hopefully, understand that T6 was band aid as it was heavy and engines back than liked heavy W40 which was rare on the shelves. It was also cheap.
Today’s T6 is thinner, in line with other W40 oils, minus sophistication of oils such as M1 0W40.

Subaru folks have to one day, hopefully, understand that T6 was band aid as it was heavy and engines back than liked heavy W40 which was rare on the shelves. It was also cheap.
Today’s T6 is thinner, in line with other W40 oils, minus sophistication of oils such as M1 0W40.
But, but, Brotella, bro 😎

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is very good oil, Use it with confidence in your Subaru. No need for Rotella T6 - it's not API licensed for gasoline engines anyway, and hasn't been so for many many years now. I think Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has more ZDDP than T6 anyway. It's a very good oil. I like it.
I don't know if this ever went to CK-4 but their site still shows CJ-4/SN still.
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...abd77f0698259b89a53ce70fb609/t6-sae-0w-40.pdf

But, but, Brotella, bro 😎
0w-40 Mobil = brotella's cousin 😆

I went for it. Engine is now very smooth and quiet for a modded boxer. Anyone want to suggest an OCI with the Subaru blue filter?
Do you still have the AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens? 5k mile OCI’s shouldn’t be a problem if you do. You can probably push the intervals longer if you don’t have the screens.

Amazing that you’re not burning oil. I moved to 10W-40 when I had my FXT because of consumption.

Do you still have the AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens? 5k mile OCI’s shouldn’t be a problem if you do. You can probably push the intervals longer if you don’t have the screens.

Amazing that you’re not burning oil. I moved to 10W-40 when I had my FXT because of consumption.
I got rid of those long ago. There are some sick UOA(s) out there with folks running 17k miles and being fine on Subaruforester.org. I don't think I want to do that. Thanks for your thoughts. May go 7500k OCI and see.

Back