0W-20 RLI Maybach 57s 5,250mi/12,250mi on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higher Iron ... my guess would be weaker ZDDP package than Redline. This is the RLI PCMO and not the HD.

Ali, Renewable Lubricants now has an SAE 20 HD oil available that was formulated for one of their fleet customers. It's a 9 cSt 100C oil with a starting TBN >10. You should check with Bill on this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Higher Iron ... my guess would be weaker ZDDP package than Redline. This is the RLI PCMO and not the HD.

Ali, Renewable Lubricants now has an SAE 20 HD oil available that was formulated for one of their fleet customers. It's a 9 cSt 100C oil with a starting TBN >10. You should check with Bill on this.

It is still being developed and not yet ready for prime time.

I am not worried about the Fe. It looks like all wear is near zero except for this value that may be from many things. Even if it is strictly wear, it is still low and of very small particles. If there was a difference from Terry's methods then a bit more wear may be indicated. Actually, larger (and therefore more) particles are measured from DA. This UOA is very good for this engine.

Sure, there is an 11 qt sump but a 3.0 liter engine with 5.5 liters of oil or a 1.5 liter engine with 2.75 liters of oil would give similar numbers.

And there is 10 percent left over RL oil in this sample. Finally, VOA shows both Al and Fe in the oil so you have to look at the total picture before you can make conclusions.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

Nice!

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Am I missing something here??? TBN is horrid given the duration of use.

Cu/Al down, Pb questionable, Fe up. Breakin is questionable, but given two flushes of oil, an initial junk is long gone.

Hard use is one thing, but is not inline with all of the numbers provided. Some things should have stayed higher, IMO.

Something still isn't right. May be lubricant choice, may be additve chemistry, I wouldn't be happy with that result (though it probably is sufficient for 100k before rebuild anyhow).

It is a twin-turbo v-12 that gets spirited use. It isn't going to wear like a civic.

Some 1980s Honda Civics were so weak, WOT acceleration was required just for ordianry city driving.

That, and there are plenty of Civics (SI, Type-R, and tuner models) where the owner likes to push the engine towards the redline for pure pleasure.

# 1. I no believe Maybach without pictures.

# 2. If you can afford a Maybach I guess you can afford tires
every 6,000 miles. I prefer mine to go 40-60,000 miles.

# 3. I got over "lighting up" my tires long ago. How old are
you man?

# 4. I don't think those numbers are bad at all. The car is
heavy, has twin turbos, and turning over the tires in a
heavy car like that has to stress the engine. It also
is a V-12 so it has way more moving parts that can abuse
the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
# 1. I no believe Maybach without pictures.

Thank you for giving Hass another excuse to post pictures of those fine autos. More Ferrari pics!
20.gif

If you cannot practice on the track then the only way to keep up the skills is to power slide elsewhere.

This may help answer the earlier question, Maybach on the left:

crate.jpg

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
If you cannot practice on the track then the only way to keep up the skills is to power slide elsewhere.

This may help answer the earlier question, Maybach on the left:

crate.jpg

Look, the doctor has crates full of Fiat 500's.
grin2.gif

Interesting that Analysts Inc says tin is 5 ppm, but DA says tin is zero.

What is the curb weight of this car?

I don't see RLI as better. Redline was used for the early break in and the numbers are very close.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Say there doctor, anything new added to the stable since your last picture post of your collection?

In case any of you new guys have not seen the doctors pictures buried in the archives somewhere, the collection and the overall set up is something to die and dream for.

Johnny, somehow I didn't picture you as being materialistic.
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...521#Post1133521

I'm not, I just like really nice cars, but I am happy with the cards that have been dealt me and very happy with what I have. I'm just glad someone can afford them so I can look at them.

anyone notice the relatively high boron count of the factory fill and how all oils used afterward werent formulated with boron? from reading on this site actually, it appears borate esters are used as a permanent antiwear additive that needs time to bond with ferric metal surfaces. just curious if the lack of boron could be contributing to the increased iron wear. i dont believe it's viscosity related. doctor, how about trying an oil with an equal dose of boron as factory fill or oem oil as the case may be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back