0W-20 RLI Maybach 57s 5,250mi/12,250mi on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original Post:
2007 Maybach 57s AMG delivered 6/2007 with 125 miles on the odometer. I took a sample after driving 15 miles home from work with 2,000 miles on the clock. The car comes with a twin turbo 6.0 liter V12 (my old “regular” Maybach 57 had a 5.5 liter V12). It has 612 BHP and 738 ft lbs torque. Driving: spirited around town, some highway driving, maybe 10 percent.

This sample has the viscosity of a low 40, almost a 30 grade oil. This makes me feel comfortable using a 20 grade oil.

The regular Maybach 57 did spec. several 30 but mostly 40 grade oils. This engine only specs. all 40 grade oils. Note that the smaller engine was rev limited to 150 MPH whereas the AMG engine allows for 175 MPH. This is a big difference in oil heating in my book. Since I will have no oppurtunity to go over 100 MPH there are no reasons to go with the 40 grade oil.

Aug/2008 Update:
‘Dyson analysis of this Red Line 5W-20 with 5,000 miles on the oil and now 7,000 miles on the car. I put in RLI oil now, running the 0W-20 grade. I will get another Dyson analysis after having 5,000 miles on this RLI oil and a total of 12,000 miles on the car.

I used up the tires (with proper rotation) at 6,000 miles. I like to light them up when I can:

June/2009 Update:
I just put on another set of tires, I only get 6,000 miles on them the way I drive. I did two UOA, the one on the most right from Dyson Analysis. Both samples were drawn into one container originally so there would be no chance of them being any different.

Also I put 2 other samples into bottles to be sent out several months apart. The experiment is to see how the results change if the sealed sample bottle is left to sit around for several months. Results to follow in the months to come.

____New OEM __Red Line_RLI__RLI-Dyson
Unknown 2000mi__5000__5250__5250___Miles on the oil
________2000mi__7000_12250_12250___Miles on the car
................................................................................................................
Iron__________23___25__38__38
Chromium _____0___1____1___1
Nickel _________0___0___ Aluminum _____22__19___9__11
lead __________0___3____1___2
Copper _______17__20____8__9
Tin ___________9__15____5__0
Silver _________0___0__ Titanium ______0___0___ Silicon ________19__20___6__5
Boron _________187_30___9__10
Sodium ________8___34__9___5
Potassium ______4__0__ Molybdenum __ 88__885__99__95
Phosphorus ___927_1270__838_853
Zinc _______1079_1408_963_1056
Calcium ___ 3086_2534_2271_1923
Barium _______1___5___ Magnesium ____62__30___24__18
Antimony ______0___0__189__131
Vanadium ______0___1___ Fuel %Vol ____neg_1.77__8.0__1.16
Abs Oxid ______NA__157__93__161
Abs Nitr _______NA__14___14__14
Wtr %vol _____neg_778KF_ Vis CS 100C __12.6__8.0__8.3__9.3
Vis CS 40C_____NA___50__NA__44
Vic index______NA__131__NA__202
SAE Grade ____40___20___20__low 30/high 20
Gly test _____neg__neg___neg__neg
TBN ______not done_2.8__ND___2.2
TAN_______not done_3.32_ND__3.1
Soot_________NA____0____nd___0
Sulfate By Product_NA_100_NA_115

Particles Counts:Only on first sample of the OEM oil:
>5__________33603
>10_________4138
>15_________228
>20_________83
>25_________48
>50_________11
>75_________5
>100________2
Ferrous debris__9, Particle Volume__6

6-17-09 Comments from Terry Dyson of Dyson Analysis:
The engine is still breaking in and nicely, rings are sealing better, no wear on turbos. The fuel was handled well by the oil, not thinning it at all. The 1 % fuel dilution value is correct as opposed to the 8 % value. The flash point is still nice and high.

This 20 grade oil is working well with this engine despite me lighting up the tires on a regular basis.

aehaas

What lab did the other RLI b/c oxidation of 93 is not correct either? Interesting that TAN has risen above TBN with both RL & RLI.

Offtopic, but what tires are you using up?

you should give another try to redline now that motor is broken in and see how does it compared to the RLI..

looks like redline has stronger anti-wear add pack to cover for lighting up tire moments better :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
What lab did the other RLI b/c oxidation of 93 is not correct either? Interesting that TAN has risen above TBN with both RL & RLI.

Offtopic, but what tires are you using up?

Analysts, Inc. did the work, Terry knows them. ‘Probably lab error somehow but not worth repeating as we know the flash is still too high. With this sample the flash was 335 F and with the last Red Line analysis the flash was 265 F. (by Terry’s method). It seems that the RLI holds viscosity well and maintains a respectable flash point.

I use the OEM 275/45ZR-20 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 XL for tires.

Quote:
I like to light them up when I can:

Hmmmm... (visualizing AEHaas 'drifting' a Maybach)..
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
I like to light them up when I can:

Hmmmm... (visualizing AEHaas 'drifting' a Maybach)..
crazy2.gif

When I test drove the original 57 and 62 Maybach (I think it was in 2003) at the Sebring Race Track I did drift the car. It was perfectly balanced. It was at that point I decided I needed one. But they had to stiffen up the anti-sway bars and a few other things before I would get one.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Iron seems high, no?

My thoughts exactly. Yes, big engine, break-in...etc...but number still seems high.

Say there doctor, anything new added to the stable since your last picture post of your collection?

In case any of you new guys have not seen the doctors pictures buried in the archives somewhere, the collection and the overall set up is something to die and dream for.

Am I missing something here??? TBN is horrid given the duration of use.

Cu/Al down, Pb questionable, Fe up. Breakin is questionable, but given two flushes of oil, an initial junk is long gone.

Hard use is one thing, but is not inline with all of the numbers provided. Some things should have stayed higher, IMO.

Something still isn't right. May be lubricant choice, may be additve chemistry, I wouldn't be happy with that result (though it probably is sufficient for 100k before rebuild anyhow).

This 20 grade oil is working well with this engine despite me lighting up the tires on a regular basis................ Lighting up the tires is not tough on a high output engine or oil!!! I also doubt 100 mph stresses that car at all. Seems it would take track time or Nevada to get the engine hot.

It's not just the levels of iron, but more importantly it's the fact that the levels jumped after the switch to RLI. I'd be really interested to hear why that might be...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Cu/Al down, Pb questionable, Fe up. Breakin is questionable, but given two flushes of oil, an initial junk is long gone.

Hard use is one thing, but is not inline with all of the numbers provided. Some things should have stayed higher, IMO.

Something still isn't right. May be lubricant choice, may be additve chemistry, I wouldn't be happy with that result (though it probably is sufficient for 100k before rebuild anyhow).

It is a twin-turbo v-12 that gets spirited use. It isn't going to wear like a civic.

True, but he isn't just talking about the numbers themselves. He's talking about the trends. If your wear indicators all go in different directions when you switch oils, it's noteworthy no matter what kind of car you drive.

Plus, don't be so sure about how the UOA would look compared to a Civic's. This engine probably has more than twice the sump capacity and internals made from much harder metals.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Could this be due to using an oil that is too thin? What is the manufacturer's recommended viscosity for that car? I would guess 40 weight?

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Look at that viscosity index of 202

Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back