0W-20 or 5W-30 for 2012 Hyundai Veracruz 3.8L V6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvq

I am having a difficult time locating either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra in 5W-20 in five quart jugs. 5W-20 is what it says on the cap, and I am committed to one of those two motor oils.

0W-20 and 5W-30 seems to be plentiful.

Which viscosity would you choose and why? I live in NYC so you have an idea of the climate and plan to change every 7500 miles or once per year (which is what the manual recommends. I don't drive the car all that much)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Doesn't Hyundai still allow 5w-30 if your climate sees more than 100deg?

If so, then use 5w-30.

If you are no longer under warranty, I'd think 0w20 would be a good choice, considering that winter is coming to New York in a month or three.

Last edited:
Use a thinner 5w30 if you are concerned. QSUD or PP (same oil) is a good choice. 7500 is a stretch for these vehicles. I have had them come in a couple quarts low after more than 5k. Watch your oil level, and know that the cartridge style filters are pretty much reduced to a pulp by 7500. Many of the filters break apart upon removal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
7500 is a stretch for these vehicles. I have had them come in a couple quarts low after more than 5k. Watch your oil level, and know that the cartridge style filters are pretty much reduced to a pulp by 7500. Many of the filters break apart upon removal.

I had a 2007 Santa Fe before this. Basically the same engine and same filter (just a 3.3L) that I used to run annual oil changes with Mobil 1 EP. The filters were always fine and it never burned a drop of oil in around 10,000 miles, so this is news to me.

Since a 20wt oil is specified that's all you need. A 5W-30 is simply heavier than necessarily.

If Mobil 0W-20 is available in the 5qt jugs that you want then you can use it with confidence as it certainly exceeds your engine's lubrication requirements.

Vehicle is in warranty so use a 5w20. Your desire for a 5Q jug is admirable but, not a requirement at this point in the vehicles life. Go to AP and get the required oil AND an OEM oil filter

pvq wife has 07 cruz 3.8 i put in 5/20 yr around no problems, almost no consumption. 5/20 is recommended by hyundai from factory,car has 50k runs beautiful enjoy yours.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Vehicle is in warranty so use a 5w20. Your desire for a 5Q jug is admirable but, not a requirement at this point in the vehicles life. Go to AP and get the required oil AND an OEM oil filter

Yes any dino API 5W-20 will satisfy warranty requirements but going with a superior 0W-20 synthetic will provide improved overall lubrication and will not compromise the vehicle warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back