0W-20 in summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still do not understand why everyone is acting as though increased fuel economy is unwanted.

Who DOESN'T want increased fuel economy?

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
I'll bet the emissions certifications involve operation over a wide range of temperatures.

Yes, it does.

It is why the catalytic converters got moved closer to the engines to get faster warmup.

A month ago I put in RL 0w-20 in my wife's '03 EX. We'll change it out next year and in the meantime I have no qualms about running it during SoCal summers.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: tropic
I don't see 0w-20 performing any differently than 5w-20 in your car during the summer months. Honest opinion. You won't see any changes in fuel economy or protection at all.

In fact I'm running Synpower 0w-20 in my Honda for the summer. I admit it's mostly for the novelty of using a non-Mobil 0w-20. I have a jug of Ultra 5w-20 that was supposed to go into the car, but the Synpower looked too tempting on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

If there's no difference, then why is Honda slowly moving their line-up from 5w-20 to 0w-20, starting with the 2010 CRV?

There IS a difference in fuel economy between 5w-20 and 0w-20, but the difference is minimal. However, when millions of cars on the road make the switch, it can potentially result in a notable reduction in gasoline consumption.

My point is that there is no significant performance difference between a 0w-20 and a 5w-20 in the summer heat. If you want to see the 0w-20 shine, try the comparison while short tripping in winter.

Originally Posted By: tropic
My point is that there is no significant performance difference between a 0w-20 and a 5w-20 in the summer heat. If you want to see the 0w-20 shine, try the comparison while short tripping in winter.

Maybe, maybe not. Look at the two Redline products -- the 5w-20 has an HTHS vis of 3.3 and the 0w-20 is at 2.7. I would conclude, therefore, that if one has an application in which HTHS is critical (some might say that's ALL applications; FWIW I would not), there will be a difference.

Absolutely, the required HTHS is largely determined by how hot the engine runs and how well the cooling system works.

My sludge monster '97 Camry V6 engine ran hot, so I chose to use Red Line 5W-30 with a high HTHS of 3.8 and a high flash point.

However, my '09 Civic Hybrid runs cool and safe with RLI 0W-20 and a HTHS of 2.9. I've tried to overheat this tiny 1.3 liter engine, and it can't be safely done on a public highway (meaning I've redlined the engine for miles on a 100°F summer day). No oil temp gauge, but the coolant never crossed 201°F. After this run, the auto stop still activated, indicating a cool engine.

I know people typically prefer Synpower these days, but is it really going to be that much better over M1 0W-20? The current deal at Autozone is really tough to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back