0W-20 A3/B4 Availability

I assume you have never heard of Millers Oils?

Who cares about SAE, this is the European and Import Section.

And the OP asked about a 0w20 A3/B4, which this is.
No it isn’t. That’s the point, without being an API grade designation they can make it whatever they want. And your comment about this being in the European section is laughable. You really don’t know what we’re talking about, do you?

I just send this:

Hello,

I was looking at buying Millers Oils Nanodrive CFS 0w-20 NT+ for my car but noticed some inconsistencies with regards to the claimed specs and the oil viscosity. Specifically in the technical data sheet https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CFS-0w20-NT-4.pdf it is claimed the oil meets and exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B4. The minimum HTHS requirement for ACEA A3/B4 oils is 3.5cP but this is impossible to meet with the density and oil viscosity as published in the data sheet. In fact I am not convinced the oil meets the HTHS requirements for ACEA A5/B5 certification. Is this an editing error in the data sheet or a misinterpretation on my part?

Regards,
Xxxxxx

to [email protected]

I don't expect any reply until after the weekend though.

I can read.

Which means I understand that this is an A3/B4.

Now run along and Email Millers with your expert opinion.
Because someone calls this an A3/B4 oil (which they're not even calling it that), doesn't make it so.

Perhaps try an open-minded approach to an idea that opposes your own, rather than digging your heels in. In the end, we're all simply here to learn more, are we not?

0W20 a3/b4 would be like diet Pepsi or diet Coke or diet juice that tastes good ... I don't think they exist.

if someone is looking for a3/b4 0W20 (Strong 20), I would suggest 0W30 which has real sugar.

I assume you have never heard of Millers Oils?

Who cares about SAE, this is the European and Import Section.

And the OP asked about a 0w20 A3/B4, which this is.
You seem to think ACEA and SAE are unrelated. That is not the case and if you look at the ACEA sequences you will see frequent references to SAE J300 for the viscosity specifications.

So is it or isn't it an A3/B4?

Because in the UK they can't claim it and advertise that fact without it being true.
And yet they are allowed to state OEM approvals they don't hold? Example.

1608547422878.png

...but no sign of ANY Millers oils on the Mercedes-Benz approval list for 229.51. In fact Millers don't appear to hold a single MB approval of any level on any fluid, yet they state that various oils meet these needs. I use MB as an example as they publish their approved oil lists so can be verified - no idea if it is the same for other OEMs.

For the benefit of balance I also checked and found that Millers have signed up to the ATIEL Code of Practice, which is mandatory for making an ACEA engine oil claim but also requires that a signed-up company follows all applicable requirements for making such claims.

They did not state OEM approval but rather a "performance profile". Still I was surprised to see they didn't have a single 229.51 or 229.52 approval as they do have some VW504 / 507 approvals. Learn something every day.

On your other point, VW also publish approval lists in PDF form which you can download from the Erwin website - you just need to register for free first. However, it's not a fully live database and the current files are dated March 2020. I think the MB site is better.

Back